U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,581,296 times
Seems to me that the mentioned "wiring problem" is a nonissue. I've never seen a lease that said "tenant is entitled to a sprinkler system." So if you think running a cord out of your window to the sprinkler system is a danger, UNPLUG IT! The OP states that they are renting in an "undesirable" location. I've never seen an automated sprinkler system in the ghetto. Also, you dont need a lock to prevent a window from being opened. Ever heard of a stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 1,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Did you rent this house knowing about these defects? Did you know about the defects before you moved in?
Very good question! We did know about the issues because we had done a short-sale on the house. We sold to an invester and are now renting from him. Does this make a difference? He was informed about the issues when he purchased it from us. Isn't he still responsible for the safety and "habitability" of the home?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 1,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Why didn't you just give a sermon about the OP's responsibilities and what s/he should have done while mindlessly ignoring that the landlord has responsibilities, too?

As well, here' a link to maybe get some free legal assistance:

Legal Assistance - HUD
Thank you for the link.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM

15,120 posts, read 23,907,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimaeog View Post
Very good question! We did know about the issues because we had done a short-sale on the house. We sold to an invester and are now renting from him. Does this make a difference? He was informed about the issues when he purchased it from us. Isn't he still responsible for the safety and "habitability" of the home?
I'm not even going to get into all that. The short answer is NO. You can't by proxy, hold this guy responsible for a situation you not only knew about, but created! You have to come to court with clean hands.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM

13,150 posts, read 23,462,304 times
A residential unit must meet the Habitability Statute as defined.

If the deficiency is not resolved in a reasonable time, you may have grounds to break the lease... ask a Lawyer for legal advice specific for your situation.

I am not aware of any requirement for window screens unless the rent is subsidized by HUD... in which case, each room with a window is required to have one screen.

I've found it best to express your concerns in writing to establish a paper trail.

Everything other than Habitability or what is required by local ordinance is dealt with by the rental agreement.

Decide what you want to do and go from there.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,087,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A residential unit must meet the Habitability Statute as defined...
If I were the landlord, I would seek to have the unit declared "uninhabitable" so the tenants would then have to move out ASAP.

Then, I'd put locks on the windows & rent it out at market rates.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,087,708 times
Quote:
So... why don't you just go to Home Depot & buy some window locks for like $1.49 each & put them on & stop whining about the situation?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM

3,814 posts, read 1,645,297 times
Quote:
We rent a house in a not-so-good neighborhood. Our windows do not have screens or locks. Our landlord will not buy screens or repair/replace windows so that we can lock them. We also are required to run an extension cord through a window for the sprinkler system and that window can not be secured either. Does our landlord have to provide us with locking windows and screens by law or are we just at the mercy of burglars? We are always affraid of burglary.
What are your rights? How about you contact a competent attorney, which specializes in landlord/tenant disputes, instead of trying to get information off the internet? MOST of what you will here will be wrong and/or misinformed and cost you more money in the long run.

I don't like attorney's anymore then the next guy. However, in certain situations, they are the person to turn too. The Yellow Pages would be your first start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California