Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,769,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I predict anyone who runs for office in 2012 on taxing the rich will win by a landslide. It's a very widely held sentiment right now. A majority are seriously POd that the debt deal didn't include such tax increases.
I agree. There isn't a concrete definition of "rich" yet, but i know my marker is somewhere in the vicinity of $400k-$500k household income. I think starting there would gain a lot od support, even in the wealthier areas in the Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,174,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I agree. There isn't a concrete definition of "rich" yet, but i know my marker is somewhere in the vicinity of $400k-$500k household income. I think starting there would gain a lot od support, even in the wealthier areas in the Bay.
I'd have no problem setting it at $1 million which should make it quite politically palatable even amongst those vaunted "small business owners".

Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,683,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
And who is this clown? The representative/spokes person of all rich people? And who are 'rich' people? People who make above $250,000 ? Struggling small business owners ..

You act for a living .. congratulations, you are one of a million who got lucky enough to make millions by showing up and following a script... Not everyone feels guilty about the wealth they have because it comes easy to them ....Some had to actually work hard for it..
Not everyone makes more money by publicity from showing up on every news outlet in America sharing what stupid/misinformed thoughts flow through their head....

So, speak for yourself Matt Damon ... Last I checked, you're free to donate however much more you want to give to the govt. or schools ... So why doesn't he do us all a favor.. Shut his pie hole and stop trying to get publicity which makes him more money ... and instead, like the other rich people, actually do something beneficial for this country like create jobs.. invest in cancer research.. Invest billions in education reform.. Actually do something besides bust his gums and act like the rich don't already pay 40-60% of the taxes in this country covering the wide excess and abuses of govt. Mark Zuckerburg actually put his money where his mouth was.... You're rich .. made rich by the consolidation of money from others.. Nothing stops you from engaging in Philantropy... Bill Gates and others are doing that very thing and its far more efficient than what our idiot/corrupt govt. is doing.

So F**** this herb and his stupid opinions. Go do something that makes a difference home slice !! Put your money where your flip hollywood mouth is.. While you're busy looking like some hero, how about you point out the many wastes of everyone's money on behalf of the govt. While you're busy racking up popularity points, why not do something unpopular like point out how govt. revenue is actually soaring through the roof but how through their idiocy, it doesn't get spent on things like education. He's right, this is a great country.. and it gets worse and worse each day by idiots in washington and clowns like himself who, instead of pointing out the real issues, engage in propaganda speeches in order to score political and popularity points .. .. I wish I was there, I would have gave this uninformed loser a piece of my mind.

I have a great solution though .. All of the rich people should just quit working today .. take 5 .. enjoy their wealth/lives/time and see how well the other people do in this country ...
See how good tax revenue is when all those people starving for a chance get a crack at it and the taxes/weight of government is placed on their shoulders. Something tells me, w/ that and the consequences of tax rates soaring and choking all in order to feed the beast govt. has become.. Everyone will then want to shrink and control the animal of govt....

It's always cool to tax someone when its not you.. or when you have so much.. got so much easily.. and don't know what to do w/ so much ... that you could car less about 6%.
Apply it to everyone in my opinion ... And see what people's responses are.
Did you happen to watch the entire video where Reason.tv interviewed Matt?

They attempted to bait him into saying a sound bite to be manipulated to their advantage but they failed horribly. Instead, Matt fires back with a question to the interviewer than follows with his opinion. And Matt Damon is certainly entitled to his opinion and it doesn't make it more or less than any other concerned American citizen's.

The point is, Matt can donate his entire income to the government and it wouldn't even make a dent into the wasteful spending by the top bureaucrats who manage to get paid ridiculous sums of money compared teachers. Do you really think the rich who gets tax breaks use the extra money to create jobs? To start new businesses?

Would you rather we cut public education just so that the rich can continue to receive tax breaks? Matt asked that very question.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,683,004 times
Quote:
I predict anyone who runs for office in 2012 on taxing the rich will win by a landslide. It's a very widely held sentiment right now. A majority are seriously POd that the debt deal didn't include such tax increases.
I don't hold much love for Obama, but out of the sorry field of GOP candidates we have running for presidency, there isn't one I'd vote for.

Obama has been on the record for letting the Bush taxes for the wealthy expire. Though he's conceded on the Bush taxes, look for him to get re-elected and then getting back to work on getting the Bush taxes for the wealthy expire.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 PM

28,109 posts, read 63,506,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When I think of Rich... I think of people like Oprah, Gates, and others that have more money than they could spend in a lifetime even if they never worked another day...

In general... people that work for a living, especially those that work for others... unless you happen to be at the pinnacle of professional sports, would not make my idea of Rich.

The US Federal Reserve defines rich as the top 5% of Americans which equals about 1.4 million of net worth including home and retirement.

Depending on where you live... you may feel very poor being Rich.

A Rich Person’s Definition of Rich - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM

28,109 posts, read 63,506,475 times
Quote:
I'd have no problem setting it at $1 million which should make it quite politically palatable even amongst those vaunted "small business owners".
Since 95% of Americans have a net worth of less than 1.4 million in total... I doubt there are really all that many making a million a year.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,769,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Since 95% of Americans have a net worth of less than 1.4 million in total... I doubt there are really all that many making a million a year.
Which sounds like wide public support to not end tax breaks for the rich

Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,834,852 times
Default "Populous" vs. "Populace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Just the messenger.. The message was clear... As for me, I could be one of the ignorant fools I spoke about .. Suffice to say, whether I am or not says nothing about the broader and true critique of the problem. Do you deny the mass ignorance among the populous and the resultant impact that has in a democracy?
FYI, you mean "populace".

EG:

Los Angeles is the 3rd most populous city in the US. However, I suspect you don't like the way its populace generally votes.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,495,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Did you happen to watch the entire video where Reason.tv interviewed Matt?

They attempted to bait him into saying a sound bite to be manipulated to their advantage but they failed horribly. Instead, Matt fires back with a question to the interviewer than follows with his opinion. And Matt Damon is certainly entitled to his opinion and it doesn't make it more or less than any other concerned American citizen's.
No need to .. All he was yapping was the same populist nonsense ...
Blah blah blah blah blah .. think of the kids .. give more to government to **** away and not spend on the kids ... the rich have it soo good .. I am filthy rich and have more money than i know what to do w/ it .. so take x% more ... Go blow up rocks w/ the money for all i care.. I just want my face on tv singing the same old populist nonsense everyone else is saying in order to score publicity points.

His opinion is uninformed populist nonsense .... Matt Dammon says it so oh suddenly ... someone is supposed to feel it has more weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The point is, Matt can donate his entire income to the government and it wouldn't even make a dent into the wasteful spending by the top bureaucrats who manage to get paid ridiculous sums of money compared teachers. Do you really think the rich who gets tax breaks use the extra money to create jobs? To start new businesses?

Would you rather we cut public education just so that the rich can continue to receive tax breaks? Matt asked that very question.
He doesn't donate any of the %'age that he speaks about so he isn't a man of his word... Many other billionaires and millionaires do .. I have a lot more respect for the doers of society than some clown reiterating whatever is most popular on huffingtonpost.

The rich aren't getting tax breaks... Stop saying they are breaks...
The top 1% pay 37% of taxes in America
The top 5% pay 57% of the taxes in America
The top 10% pay 68% of the taxes in America
the top 25% pay 85% of the taxes in America...

Whose getting a break here besides the people at the bottom?

The reason why, even with the historic tax revenue pouring into Washington that we are even sitting here debating issues about lack of funding for fundamental services is because we have a spending problem and not a revenue problem. Even if you taxed the rich at 100% that would only yield ~900 billion ... And if we did that, somehow govt. would find another trillion more to spend ...

The real problem is govt. spending on useless foolishness .. I'd love for someone to get out in public and express that opinion .. I guess because it isn't the popular idiot opinion of the masses for the week, you don't see any hollywood stars pointing out that problem.

He yaps on and on and then gives Obama praise.. The man has done nothing but run up the nations credit card.. 2 Trillion in stimulus alone and what has that done for jobs?

So Matt Damon is an idiot IMO and his opinion represents that of an ignorant guilty for being rich person who is suggesting something that #1 doesn't scale .. and #2 wont solve the problem ...

Some rich people do great good w/ their money.. create jobs .. fund research ...
The $600 billion challenge - Fortune Features

Warren Buffett gives away his fortune
FORTUNE EXCLUSIVE: The world's second richest man - who's now worth $44 billion - tells editor-at-large Carol Loomis he will start giving away 85% of his wealth in July - most of it to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Source : FORTUNE Magazine: Warren Buffett gives away his fortune - Jun. 25, 2006

So ********** clown and his opinion .. The government does a horrible job w/ the money it receives and I see no good reason why it should get anymore of ANYONES money. One of the main reasons Buffet called the wealthy to this challenge is because, otherwise, their money would be taxed to crap upon their death and the govt. would **** it away.. Better to establish a foundation that does a better job at helping the world than to give it to some govt. so it go shooting million dollar missiles into dirt while its country's infrastructure and education system erode.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,495,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
FYI, you mean "populace".

EG:

Los Angeles is the 3rd most populous city in the US. However, I suspect you don't like the way its populace generally votes.
Sometimes I type so fast .. my brain gives me the wrong word.. Luckily I have mr.paperclip nearby.
Thanks Microsoft word.. what would i do without you?

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 08-04-2011 at 01:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California