Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times

Advertisements

Pics are beautiful bro, but too small. Can they be enlarged?
I have done a whole lot of fishin' & campin' at Naciemiento, San Antonio, Hunter Liggett ponds, river by Arroyo Seco, the gorge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I like Cone Peak. It is one of the best short hikes in California. The peak rise to 5,155 feet in a little over three miles from the shore. I was up there when it was snowing one year. We just sat up there looking at the coast through the gaps in the clouds below us. It is also where one of the world's rarest fir is found.

Calflora: Abies bracteata
The Central Coast Ranges are home to a wide variety of rare vegetation, because the area overlaps northern and southern California species there are unique adaptations, like the Bishops pine for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Pics are beautiful bro, but too small. Can they be enlarged?
I have done a whole lot of fishin' & campin' at Naciemiento, San Antonio, Hunter Liggett ponds, river by Arroyo Seco, the gorge.
I would have to poke around photobucket and figure it out, I prefer to use flickr, it is easier to navigate. I use photobucket strictly for my Highnlite photos as it is an untraceable dead end.

I have spent little actually no time at Nacimiento and San Antonio, and not much at Hunter Liggett. I was at the Arroyo Seco FS station earlier this year getting my FS crosscut saw certification, but most of my time in that area has been on the west side slopes and in Ventana Wilderness.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Bishop pine is found up and down the coast down into BC and up into OR, although rarely in large numbers.

California has a large amount of rare plants throughout the state. The Sacramento Valley has a subspecies of Hibiscus (Hibiscus lasiocarpus occidentalis) only found here. The Chaparral in Fresno County has a shrub by the name of Carpenteria californica with limited distribution. Both plants are excellent in cultivation.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I went to a concert this afternoon, cowboy music at a 175 year old house, the singer sang a song of Big Sur, called South Coast. This version by Rambling Jack Elliot is very good

‪Ramblin' Jack Elliott sings South Coast on 5/4/07‬‏ - YouTube

Well once again I failed to make the video appear
You might want to check your thread display options by going to Settings & Options on the left-hand side (under My Settings), then select Edit Options. At the bottom of Thread Display Options (the third box down), there is an option for YouTube settings to make links display as videos. The choice should be "Yes."

Also, you just simply copy and paste the URL for the YouTube video into your post instead of using the Share button which I think Derek/Mtn Surfer was doing originally. Hope this helps in some way.

EDIT: Looks like the video is showing in this post now. Hmmm...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Awesome photos. Nothing beats pine backed up to the Ocean.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
I really never developed a fondness for Big Sur as we usually ended up there when it was on fire. Steep ass country. One highlight though, we did find a crawdad hole on the Little Sur river just a bit away from fire camp. Crawdad boil beat the fire camp menu that night.

Nice pictures though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California