Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
and you are fond of being indoors.

90 degrees here on the coast today. The cabbages are very happy.
Yes, since I love outdoors activities I can't stand it when it gets above 100. AC is of no value outside. Many folks who live in the higher heat regions go from one indoor place to another and are used that. Its just no for me.

That is the reason I brought up that other big wonderful place we won't mention. I was reading from the locals what they were doing to escape the heat = stay inside.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, since I love outdoors activities I can't stand it when it gets above 100. AC is of no value outside. Many folks who live in the higher heat regions go from one indoor place to another and are used that. Its just no for me.

That is the reason I brought up that other big wonderful place we won't mention. I was reading from the locals what they were doing to escape the heat = stay inside.

Derek
Water tends to solve this problem .. Having grown up in FL, I recall loving the heat in the high 90s and 100s .. Wake-boarding .. Jet skiing.. Pools (every house tends to have one) .. Fishing .. Playing in the lake w/ friends.. Beach water that is quite comfortable swimming in...

W/ such hot temps, if you want to be outside.. I just came from vacation out of the country where temps were around 105* .. It was dry heat some days.. high humidity others .. I went to watch an outdoor soccer game.. Went to an amusement park.. Went to a water park .. Didn't really hamper my activities.

Shorts .. t-shirt .. sandals .. sunscreen and endless fun. When you want a change of pace, A/C makes it comfortable when you're indoors.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Water tends to solve this problem .. Having grown up in FL, I recall loving the heat in the high 90s and 100s .. Wake-boarding .. Jet skiing.. Pools (every house tends to have one) .. Fishing .. Playing in the lake w/ friends.. Beach water that is quite comfortable swimming in...

W/ such hot temps, if you want to be outside.. I just came from vacation out of the country where temps were around 105* .. It was dry heat some days.. high humidity others .. I went to watch an outdoor soccer game.. Went to an amusement park.. Went to a water park .. Didn't really hamper my activities.

Shorts .. t-shirt .. sandals .. sunscreen and endless fun. When you want a change of pace, A/C makes it comfortable when you're indoors.
Interesting, yeah water would be a requirement. I recall visiting Palm Springs as a kid during Summer when it got well into the 100s and everyone was in/by the pool. Thst was the main attraction of the place. I think some ppl get used to those temps when it gets that hot outside.

I went on a business trip to Phoenix in the Summer once with a company whose owner liked golf. It was really cheap and uncrowded at that time of the year. Most ppl golfed in the late afternoon. Very few were out there during the day. It felt like walking into an oven, especially going from the AC of the resort to the outdoors and then back in.

Derek

Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Nice to live where no one has or needs an air conditioner. I can go 10 miles east and it is 20 degrees warmers, and little humidity.

You will not catch me east of the 100th meridian in summer

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
I just saw this in another forum I participate in. Wow, I can't imagine living in that kind of continuous heat! People are talking about not going outside unless absolutely necessary.

We've been in the mid 60s almost the entire Summer along the Monterey Penninsula. Some complain about the fog. But I enjoy the summer cloud cover and ocean breezes. For me its perfect. This year it has been intermingled with sun. I had to open a few doors and windows because it got hot indoors this past week.

How about your area? Is it as hot as TX, as cool as Monterey or somewhere in between?

Derek

Spent time in Monterey and East Bay area in past two weekends. Last weekend, the weather sucked in Monterey but the weekend prior was decent when the Moto GP was ongoing at Laguna Seca.

In East Bay, it was in the upper 80's, which was the perfect medium between the colder Monterey weather and the extremely hot Bakersfield.

When I was in Marina, I was dying to get out of the town. The foggy weather was so depressing.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
the fog is good working weather, work in the AM, then as it burns off, go play.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
That is typical in Santa Barbara, when I attended the university there. The mornings would be overcast, then gets even more beautiful like the color sunset at the end of the day. I only mentioned that because I saw your location.

It is also like that in east bay area. Monterey gets some variation of that but is much milder in temperature. In Marina, it is fog all day long.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Spent time in Monterey and East Bay area in past two weekends. Last weekend, the weather sucked in Monterey but the weekend prior was decent when the Moto GP was ongoing at Laguna Seca.

In East Bay, it was in the upper 80's, which was the perfect medium between the colder Monterey weather and the extremely hot Bakersfield.

When I was in Marina, I was dying to get out of the town. The foggy weather was so depressing.
I missed Laguna Seca again this year

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I just saw this in another forum I participate in. Wow, I can't imagine living in that kind of continuous heat! People are talking about not going outside unless absolutely necessary.

We've been in the mid 60s almost the entire Summer along the Monterey Penninsula. Some complain about the fog. But I enjoy the summer cloud cover and ocean breezes. For me its perfect. This year it has been intermingled with sun. I had to open a few doors and windows because it got hot indoors this past week.

How about your area? Is it as hot as TX, as cool as Monterey or somewhere in between?

Derek
For me, Monterey would be near perfect. I love the marine layer in the morning and especially evenings in summer. In San Diego we had that right up till today. Like clockwork, the weather here get hotter in August. I wish the temps could be in the high 60's with lower dew points. Oh well, it's in part why I trying to move.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post

Hey Tim,

Glad you to hear made it down to the area for a little break from the heat.

Yeah, we've had a real mixture this summer of clouds and sun. But that's just the way I like it. This past weekend had more clouds until the afternoon. Funny thing was the sun came out in our area (sunbelt). Then we went to Point Lobos and it was cloudy. But we still had a great time exploring around the tide pools. it was super low tide:

Then today was sunny most of the day. And the sunset and moonset combo was awesome to watch over the Bay:

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California