Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What is false? I'm posing a question, how can a question be false?

The shift to alternatives is going to change the energy market and whether or not Texas retains its traditionally strong energy sector is an open question.

Who cares? Only one of the top 10 wind turbine manufactures are in the US and the one that is in the US isn't in Texas (GE Wind Energy).

The fact that Texas generates some of its energy needs without fossil fuels says nothing about the energy sector as a whole in Texas. Every state has to generate power, the question is where are the "new era" energy comes going to be popup? I see no reason to believe its Texas, in fact, its unlikely to be Texas because their established energy industry is liking to fight start-ups.
I don't think you understand....just because Texas might not yet be as friendly (as a state, due to incentives) as California in terms of IMPLEMENTING alternative energy; that has nothing to do with private companies and their adoption of the new technoglogies, research, and doing the work in other states (if not Texas).

The federal government is also at the forefront of this, and San Antonio which is home to the Air Force Real Property Agency. Look up "EUL" and...believe it or not all those dullards working there in energy are from all over the country and found work in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
This is great.

A poster who has never lived in Texas is actually telling a former Texas resident what life is really like there.
he tells me how my life is here too

Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Its gotten to the point thats it like I'm talking to a leaf. You have contradicted yourself over and over again about your view on tech jobs in TX, I don't even know where you stand on the issue anymore.
What in the world are you talking about? Nothing I have stated has been contradictory. My claim about Texas, in terms of tech has been:

1.) It has tech jobs, but they mostly low-tier tech jobs.
2.) It has some innovative companies, almost all in Austin, but very little is done in comparison to the tech hotspots.

These two claims aren't contradictory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
And to TX being a hotspot, I've already shown you multiple lists showcasing the tech prowess multiple cities in TX are becoming known for, theres not even anything you can argue about that.
You are show listings about tech jobs, not tech innovation. I'm talking about innovation..

Almost every company in the US relies on tech, as a result any major city in the country is going to have a lot of tech jobs because there will be tech infrastructure and needs to be built and maintained. Just like any major city is going to have a lot of auto mechanic jobs...they are needed to service the needs of the city.

But tech innovation is a different story, this involves the development of new technologies and it is here that Texas doesn't do well.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM

I guess this is why SXSW is in Austin? Just a low level tech thing no one outside of Austin cares about?

oh wait, it started in Austin and no one cared about it at first, until it started attracting international attention, and usually involves some type of 'announcement' that affects the world of tech startups and the industry as a whole.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I don't think you understand....just because Texas might not yet be as friendly (as a state, due to incentives) as California in terms of IMPLEMENTING alternative energy; that has nothing to do with private companies and their adoption of the new technoglogies, research, and doing the work in other states (if not Texas).
What are talking about now? 1.) I never mentioned alternative energy incentives in California, 2.) I never suggested that California would be home to the "new era" energy sector. My question was about Texas and Texas only, namely, whether Texas will be able to maintain its traditionally strong energy sector as the industry undergoes a huge paradigm shift.

If we look to history, the answer is "no". The big players in Texas benefit from the status quo and are going to do whatever they can to block start-ups that threaten their positions.

Quote:
I guess this is why SXSW is in Austin? Just a low level tech thing no one outside of Austin cares about?
Can you please make a basic effort to read what people say before you respond to them? I have mentioned the existence of some tech innovation in Austin numerous times in this thread.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Texas has the Edwards Aquifer. Which provides drinking water....and totally excellent toobing and recreational opportunties.

Tubeing? does anyone out of college tube? How is Texas for class 3 or 4 or 5 whitewater kayaking?

It just gets stinking hot. But it is more tolerable than Californian deserts due to the water available.

One could tube the Mojave river, if one wanted to, I suppose..

I don't know how people lived there before air conditioning, but with air conditioning and the rivers, it's certainly tolerable...and it gives Texans something to talk about, talk about how tough they are, perfect their bbq's and play in the river - with each other. Instead of avoiding each other like people seem to in CA.

Do they BBQ in Texas? What does their BBQ look like, what wood do they burn, what meat do they cook? They don't bake meat covered in sauce and call that barbecue do they?

the rivers...there are many outdoor opportunities.

You mentioned tubeing, what else is an outdoor opportunity?
Quote:
I don't understand Californians who seem absoultley terrified of 'weather' which happens everywhere else in the world. It's the main reason I find California a bit boring and annoying.

The areas of California that have four distinct seasons are probably larger than many eastern states. In CA, I have seen low temps of -20 degrees and 15 feet of snow outside my house.

I love thunderstorms, Thunderstorms are common in CA, they used to provide me with a high percentage of my income, Cumulus Paycheckus Overtimeus..

It's only when one thing drags on that it gets bad. Like a long drought like is happening in Texas now, or a long winter that won't quit, or a storm so bad it ruins a town.

They don't really have winter in Texas. They do have ice time, pretty funny watching them Texans trying drive on ice.

But California weather is kind of boring all the time,
The State is 1,000 miles long and 300 miles wide, and ranges in elevation from -283, to 14,565 or therabouts, what ever weather you want in CA, you can have it, aside from truely high humidity.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM

the above two posts are exemplary of why many people ...prefer the 'people' in other states.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 PM

296 posts, read 614,327 times
I don't know much about Texas having never lived there, but can someone tell me, does Texas have a lot of mountains where people can ski and snowboard? And does it have a lot of fast rivers with white water rafting? What about virgin forests? I know it has beaches, so there must be some good surfing, right?

Just curious...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
the above two posts are exemplary of why many people ...prefer the 'people' in other states.
I find the east, cloying, and uninspiring, one could travel from East Texas to Maine, and without reading the road signs one would never know what state one was in.

For those who enjoy the indoors, well, they can live anywhere, it is all the same. For those who enjoy the out of doors, there is really only the West. And California has pretty much everything to be found in the West, that makes it worth living in.

And you say, Texas is West, well no, West Texas is, whatever lies this side of the 100th Meridian, Whatever is east of the 100th Meridian is the East. West Texas a man could live in, but east of the 100th Meridian is not fit for a man. There is a reason for that, I would suggest for anyone interested, there are several important books to be read, the first, not surprisingly, Beyond the 100th Meridian, by Wallace Stegner.

An example of what it means to live in the West. I just got done mapping a route in the Sierra, 12 miles, climbs 1,760 feet, then descends 3,650 to a small store get an ice cream, grain the horse and return. Aside from maybe a few places in the Appelations (try it, it works) that simply cannot be done back East.

Oh, As True westerners do not accept most of Texas as being in the West, true Southerners don't accept Texas as being in the South.

And finally two factoids:

Remember the war the Texans fought for their independence against Mexico? They did so, the men who died at the Alamo did so, they died for slavery.

You see, Mexico had banned slavery, the Anglo Texans did not want to give up their slaves,, hence the rebellion.

and what is that favorite Texas song, "The Yellow Rose of Texas"? Contrary to supposition the Yellow Rose was not a Dinah Shore like blonde, but, was a mulatto prostitute, "high yeller" was the term.

C'est La Vie.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 PM

388 posts, read 849,150 times
Ok, I got really confused with this so I had to go back and dig up some old posts on this thread to see if I was losing it or not.

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? Nothing I have stated has been contradictory. My claim about Texas, in terms of tech has been:

1.) It has tech jobs, but they mostly low-tier tech jobs.
2.) It has some innovative companies, almost all in Austin, but very little is done in comparison to the tech hotspots.

These two claims aren't contradictory....

You are show listings about tech jobs, not tech innovation. I'm talking about innovation..

Almost every company in the US relies on tech, as a result any major city in the country is going to have a lot of tech jobs because there will be tech infrastructure and needs to be built and maintained. Just like any major city is going to have a lot of auto mechanic jobs...they are needed to service the needs of the city.

But tech innovation is a different story, this involves the development of new technologies and it is here that Texas doesn't do well.
So my first comment to you about tech jobs was negating this comment you made:

Quote:
Additionally, Texas can be a great place to locate operations with high labor depends, Texas is filled with low-skill and mid-skilled labor so it can be a great place to relocate non-technical manufacturing, mundane software development, etc. But these are all lower income jobs. Indeed, almost all the job creation in Texas recently has been from the low-end.
In which I followed to show you how high TX ranks across the board in tech jobs. And in direct response to that, I get this gem:

Quote:

I'm not sure what you are address here, I never suggested that Texas lacks "tech jobs", in fact I explicitly mentioned some tech jobs that can be found in Texas. Texas has tech jobs, but the tech jobs in Texas tend to be low on the tech ladder.
So beside contradicting your first statement about TX lacking tech jobs, you are saying all of the tech jobs available in TX are purely low level data entry jobs?? Amazing how a state can be so high in rankings up with your CA cities with purely "low level" tech jobs. And since when is software develoment considered a low-level job??

Either way, I then went on to state that I never remember reading anything about you praising(to the extent of not dissing them) tech jobs in TX, then I get this:

Quote:

Right, why would I praise tech jobs in Texas? The only areas that does well in tech is Austin, but its not a large area. Any large city is going to have a number of tech jobs, technology is just part of the modern economy and each area needs a certain number of "tech" people to keep it running.

My point about jobs is that most of the jobs created in Texas are lower-tier jobs and that is true whether you are talking about manufacturing or tech.
Which I don't even know why you would attempt to post after reading the Tech rankings I showed you with Dallas, Houston and San Antonio all well represented. So are you saying all of the lower teir tech jobs is the same reason that your beloved CA cities also end up on these lists?? So thats the point where I got too confused to be able to coerse with you any longer, and you go and start talking innovation or something I wasnt even talking about.

Speaking of innovation, while I was going back and reading all your posts for clarification, I found an interesting trend of bringing up arbitrary topics with no fact behind them. Ill start from the very first post:

Quote:
So California and Texas are both around the same age (state-wise) and yet California has a larger more innovative economy....and California is suppose to learn from Texas? Sorry....don't follow.
Again...learning what exactly? How to run a low-service state?
No it doesn't, tell me, what innovation is coming out of Texas?

Texas, as far as the US economy is concerned, is good for two things. 1.) Locating headquarters of large established corporations, 2.) running labor/land/polluting intensive industries
Remember that word, innovation. It comes up quite a bit in your writings. Now innovation is great because it is easily definable, and better yet, even easier to measure. Since it is so easy to measure, it is so simple to see what state has more than the other. So easy in fact that as many times as you mention it we still have no concrete evidence that CA is more innovative than TX. You are also quick to bring up the fact(opinion?) that TX is a low service state, and you bring that up quite often as well. Again, with nothing to show us how low service TX is and how high service I am assuming you are believing CA to be. Continuing with these notions, you stated to me:

Quote:
No, not really because I'm talking about "locating" your headquarters, that is where companies tend to move their headquarters when they do decide to move from their founding state. The companies in California, almost entirely, were created in California. Not so with Texas, a lot of companies with headquarters in Texas weren't created there.
Again, how many companies are founded in TX compared to how many moved there? How many were founded in CA compared to how many that moved there? No sign of any numbers or references.

Quote:
Yes, a lot of the large corporations with headquarters in Texas relocated there. That doesn't mean they do much in Texas in terms of operations, but locating their headquarters there can result in beneficial tax treatment both because states like Texas offer tax incentives and their overall tax structure.

And yes, I'm trying to make a point with California here, California has powerful internal entrepreneurship as a result it doesn't need to offer huge tax perks to businesses to relocate to the state. This relates to the comment that "Texas is the future" that someone made, how is Texas the future when it has low internal rates of entrepreneurship?

Anyhow, attracting corporates with tax perks has consequences, namely that Texas doesn't have enough to fund the sorts of social systems that it needs to build an innovative/entrepreneur based economy.
Alas, more unfounded conjectures and undefinable terms...I think I have to be done dealing with user_id. Its just not working for me dealing with these types of arguements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California