U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM

12,051 posts, read 9,892,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? Most of the populated areas in Texas are humid. Dallas, Austin, etc have a subtropical climate. Also, its the humidity level compared with average temps that matter, coastal California is fairly humid too but the average temps in the summer are in the high 70's.
Yep as well as dew points. In most of California dew poins are from the 50's to low 60's in summer, sometimes a more uncomfortable mid 60's in San Diego but with temps in the high 70's. Texas has much higher dew points along the gulf coast and dew points may be in the 70's. Dallas' dew points may be lower most of the time but still has enough moister to make it's 101 temp feel like 110.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,070,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Let me try a different approach.

Everyone that thinks CA is better off than TX is crazy. The schools are better than in CA, especially the universities. TX has way more and better fortune 500 companies. CA is great for those tech industries because they have to many low to mid skilled tech workers that heard of Steve Jobs' and Dave Packards' companies and want to work for them. They are the only reason CA has any tech jobs to begin with. Two men created the high tech CA you all see, once they started their business everyone saw CA as the next big thing. Two men are the innovation behind CA. Nowhere near the millions of innovative people TX has leading the way in the computer age. I don't know where you all get your info from, but you are wrong...you want facts, look them up!

How's that user_id, more understandable since it's more along your lines of reasoning?
More importantly, is there any class 5 white water? are there any multiple pitch rock routes? How is the skiing? How about 4 wheeling, any million acre parks full of Jeep trails?

How is mule packing, any hundred mile wilderness trails?

Any plans to hold the America's cup in Texas?

(to say that Texas universities are better than CA?, weird)

The only reason to get an education and a good job is to get some spare time and spare money to go outside and do stuff..... So, I still don't see that there is much at all to do in Texas, it, like most Eastern states is just plain boring.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM

389 posts, read 357,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
More importantly, is there any class 5 white water? are there any multiple pitch rock routes? How is the skiing? How about 4 wheeling, any million acre parks full of Jeep trails?

How is mule packing, any hundred mile wilderness trails?

Any plans to hold the America's cup in Texas?

(to say that Texas universities are better than CA?, weird)

The only reason to get an education and a good job is to get some spare time and spare money to go outside and do stuff..... So, I still don't see that there is much at all to do in Texas, it, like most Eastern states is just plain boring.
Good questions, and yes to everything!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Good questions, and yes to everything!
Tell me where you can find class 5 kayaking in Texas
Tell me where you can find multiple pitch rock climbs in Texas

Where do they plan to hold the America's cup in Texas.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Tell me where you can find class 5 kayaking in Texas
Tell me where you can find multiple pitch rock climbs in Texas

Where do they plan to hold the America's cup in Texas.
As user_id would say, if you want to see it, feel free to look it up.

But in all honestly, and I've said this to you before, as well, I will never put down California's natural beauty. It is one of the most beautiful places I've seen and been, but beauty and recreation is only part of the deal. Getting a job, affording a nice house, and affording a good quality of life is more important than kayaking, in my opinion. I understand different things are important to different people, and obviously that's where this whole discussion comes from. If w all liked the same thing, we would all be the same and that'd be boring and we'd all be living in the exact same place.

There is no utopia because everyone wants different qualities in their lives.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
As user_id would say, if you want to see it, feel free to look it up.

But in all honestly, and I've said this to you before, as well, I will never put down California's natural beauty. It is one of the most beautiful places I've seen and been, but beauty and recreation is only part of the deal. Getting a job, affording a nice house, and affording a good quality of life is more important than kayaking, in my opinion. I understand different things are important to different people, and obviously that's where this whole discussion comes from. If w all liked the same thing, we would all be the same and that'd be boring and we'd all be living in the exact same place.

There is no utopia because everyone wants different qualities in their lives.
You can say pretty much the same thing about anywhere, but really, Texas has nothing to attract anyone who enjoys the out of doors or adventure, aside from the area around the Guadalupe Mtns, and Big Bend.

To say otherwise is much like saying Afghanistan is the new tourist hot spot.

A major problem Texas has in attracting educated people is just that, nothing to do. The tech firm people from the Bay Area swarm to Tahoe all year round, for skiing, mountaineering, sailing, rock climbing, mtn. biking, hiking. I made a reasonable living off these folk for many years, and got to know more than a few (especially young women up for private lessons, prior to my marriage of course) If the CEO of one of these firms were announce a move to Texas these folk would bail out to another company that is not going to Texas.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 PM

692 posts, read 553,568 times
There's a cost to creating a highly unregulated business-friendly environment.

From Capitol Weekly:

Ahh, Texas: Dirty air, cheap jobs and uneducated

Quote:
Texas also leads the nation in dirtiest air, amount of toxic chemicals released into the water and hazardous waste generated, according to statistics from various sources compiled in Texas on the Brink, a publication of the Texas House of Representatives Legislative Study Group.

Texas also has the nation’s highest percentage of minimum wage jobs and the lowest percentage of residents with a high school diploma in the country. Of adult Texans, nearly 32 percent are college graduates – almost 38 percent of Californians are.

Almost 30 percent of Texans are uninsured – more than 6 million persons of whom 60 percent are Hispanic. Texas also has the highest percentage of uninsured children in the country.

In Texas, 17.2 percent of the population lives in poverty compared to 13.2 percent in California where the median income is $59,000 versus $48,000 in Texas.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
You can say pretty much the same thing about anywhere, but really, Texas has nothing to attract anyone who enjoys the out of doors or adventure, aside from the area around the Guadalupe Mtns, and Big Bend.

To say otherwise is much like saying Afghanistan is the new tourist hot spot.

A major problem Texas has in attracting educated people is just that, nothing to do. The tech firm people from the Bay Area swarm to Tahoe all year round, for skiing, mountaineering, sailing, rock climbing, mtn. biking, hiking. I made a reasonable living off these folk for many years, and got to know more than a few (especially young women up for private lessons, prior to my marriage of course) If the CEO of one of these firms were announce a move to Texas these folk would bail out to another company that is not going to Texas.
I understand that you enjoy mountains and kayaking and such things TX might not have, but it's not like it's some third world country. There's plenty of hiking and biking, plenty of creeks. With 24 million people they are going to have sone sorts of activities for people. I'm not much for the outdoors so I never really looked for that kind of stuff in TX, so like I said, to each his own. You wouldn't like Texas because of those things, whereas I had no problem with it.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
There's a cost to creating a highly unregulated business-friendly environment.

From Capitol Weekly:

Ahh, Texas: Dirty air, cheap jobs and uneducated
Those are all issues related to a highly desirable state, with a great number of net immigration into the state. I'm not sure exactly where or how that site got it's numbers, but I have a site that shows CA as having cities higher on the worse pollution list than TX cities.
City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

The other issue is with the large number of illegal immigrants that come into Texas, and I believe from reading those numbers that they may be included in their research. The income numbers are very misleading because they do not include cost of living conversion which is very important when comparing income from one place to another. If I made $59000 in CA, I may very well only need to make $48000 in TX to keep the same standard of living.

Overall I am convinced this thread has well outdone it's welcome. To have a thread in the CA forum comparing TX to CA is very unfair when it becomes one or two unbiased people posting in defense of TX, and the rest staunchly defending their home to the death.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,336,114 times
It's all so subjective. California is more dramatic in terms of outdoor adventures and to some this is of utmost importance. I like it myself, as an experience, I'm not sure I need it. Also, if I can afford to travel...it's all kind of relative...

Texas has great kayaking! Ever hear of the rivers in the hill country? There are excellent parks and mountain biking opportunities. I am an outdoor person and I found plenty of hikes there....even in a place with no income tax. The only annoying thing was the $6 entrance fee to the state parks. But I preferred it to income tax...

I've noticed CA state parks are not free either.

The ocean is warm enough to swim in, and the mountains in west texas are not dramatic like the Sierras but they are pretty cool and give you that 'wild west' feeling. Ever see the stars in West Texas? It's incredible.

Most people here I doubt have ever spent much time in Texas are many points east. I have lived all over and have an apprecition for the beauty and opportunities in all of the places. Texas has a lot to offer in terms of beauty and recreation. So does Illinois though the average Californian would turn their nose up...not only at Illinois but at their own 'mid-section'

personally, I've started to realize I might prefer Sacramento to the coast, and northern to southern.

I've spent a lot of time in Montana as well being that I lived in Eastern Washington....now that's a beautiful place.

Being able to afford to travel and do things is meaningful to people. Living in a place like CA where you hardly have time to enjoy it or afford to go do things on the weekend is hardly Shangri-la.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California