Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM

301 posts, read 571,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And people manage a life in Minnesota in the winter, this doesn't change the fact that the weather greatly limits what you can and can't do.

How many Athletes are training in the afternoon? How many kids out playing at 1 pm?

People deal with the oppressive heat in Texas, but their bodies don't magically become tolerant of it. Its something you largely deal with by avoiding it as much as possible.
I'm sorry but there are quite a few people recreating outside even at 4pm which is the hottest time of the day here. Sure, not as many as in more moderate weather. But we don't all have to hide indoors all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
Obviously the sarcasm dripping in my post went sailing way over your head. Some people like cold, some moderate, some hot. Some love CA or TX or somewhere. It's not worth all of this us vs them stuff. Really.
Sarcasm is hard to pick up on in written form.

However, I understand preferences. I was never talking about preferences. My points were in line with highnlite's; the body does not handle heat very well and the best way to deal with extreme heat is to avoid it. Hyperthermia is generally more urgent than hypothermia as the warning signs are much more subtle. This is not a preference.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Dumb thread. Some of the posters are truly showing their hypocrisy about Texas' extreme heat and pollution problems when the central valley is right in California's backyard. Our central valley has some of the worst air quality in the nation, thanks bit Ag and oil companies, and the number of coastal residents traveling between major destinations in California via Interstate 5 and Highway 99.

Even Los Angeles and San Francisco, with a population of more than 30 million people combined, actually contribute to the bad air quality in their respective areas.

Seriously, I roll my eyes when my fellow Californians aim their criticism at Texas when they should be aiming it at their own state to improve the quality of life in their own backyard.

Edit to add: Gentoo pointed out my error in stating that the population for San Francisco and Los Angeles combined was more than 30 million. In fact, the accurate population is in Gentoo's post below.

Last edited by TimC2462; 08-08-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Dumb thread. Some of the posters are truly showing their hypocrisy about Texas' extreme heat and pollution problems when the central valley is right in California's backyard. Our central valley has some of the worst air quality in the nation, thanks bit Ag and oil companies, and the number of coastal residents traveling between major destinations in California via Interstate 5 and Highway 99.

Even Los Angeles and San Francisco, with a population of more than 30 million people combined, actually contribute to the bad air quality in their respective areas.

Seriously, I roll my eyes when fellow Californian aim their criticism at Texas when they should be aiming it at their own state to improve the quality of life in their own backyard.
Nothing about this post of yours makes much sense.

For starters, Los Angeles has a population of 3,792,621 and San Francisco 805,235. Los Angeles county has 9,818,605. How the hell did you get 30 million?

Also, blame the thread starter for this thread. Californians are aiming their criticism at Texas because...well...this thread is about a Texan or a Texas cheerleader aiming their criticism at California. Of course it's going to be given right back to them IN THE CALIFORNIA FORUM!

FYI we have criticized the Central Valley as well just ask anyone who lives there.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nothing about this post of yours makes much sense.

For starters, Los Angeles has a population of 3,792,621 and San Francisco 805,235. Los Angeles county has 9,818,605. How the hell did you get 30 million?

Also, blame the thread starter for this thread. Californians are aiming their criticism at Texas because...well...this thread is about a Texan or a Texas cheerleader aiming their criticism at California. Of course it's going to be given right back to them IN THE CALIFORNIA FORUM!

FYI we have criticized the Central Valley as well just ask anyone who lives there.
I stand corrected. It was a typo.

Yes, but those criticism rarely addressed the all sources of the problem, nor did they propose solutions.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I stand corrected. It was a typo.

Yes, but those criticism rarely addressed the all sources of the problem, nor did they propose solutions.
Perhaps you're right, I don't remember those threads in too much detail, only that they existed. The Central Valley certainly has many similar issues to Texas. It's also the most like Texas that we have.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Perhaps you're right, I don't remember those threads in too much detail, only that they existed. The Central Valley certainly has many similar issues to Texas. It's also the most like Texas that we have.
Except Amboy

Let's look at the Texas Thread and see how many Californians are posting whiner threads there

Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And people manage a life in Minnesota in the winter, this doesn't change the fact that the weather greatly limits what you can and can't do.

How many Athletes are training in the afternoon? How many kids out playing at 1 pm?

People deal with the oppressive heat in Texas, but their bodies don't magically become tolerant of it. Its something you largely deal with by avoiding it as much as possible.

Life doesn't stop in the winter. Kids are playing in the winter at 1pm every day. Yes, every day. Recess and walking to the bustop is only cancelled when it's like -20 windchills which is rare even in Minnesota. It happens like 2 weeks out of the year AT MOST.

As a kid I spent my winters ice skating on an uncrowded natural lake, sledding, and just running around.

you adapt, you wear coats and you live life.

If this is represenatitive of Californians (anything less than perfect weather is not okay, every situation with any adversity is bad, etc.) it makes so much sense why people say that Californians are basically the worst people...in terms of values and work ethic, pretty much everything.

don't shoot the messenger...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Except Amboy

Let's look at the Texas Thread and see how many Californians are posting whiner threads there
I already have

Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
sorry I don't have time to pick apart your post...

I understand taxes quite well. I don't own real estate. Income tax is a big deal to those of us who do not pay property taxes. I'm not sure how there's only a 3% difference there. That's ridiculous.

Also, you don't know too much about public land outside of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Not really, sure there is road biking, but with only 1.6% of the state public land, there just isn't much hiking. What does one do with a creek? Aside from Kayaking it if the gradient is steep enough

[QUOTE

Does time travel faster in California or something? More than 60% of California residents have passports (noticeably more than Texas), are they to hanging them on their walls? Can't afford to do things on the weekends? Hmmm...that would explain why the movies, malls, etc are packed on the weekends. This is not to mention that hiking, going to the beach, etc are free.

You may be too busy to do things, you may not be able to travel, you may not be able to afford to do things on the weekend, but extending that to Californians as a whole makes no sense.
[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California