Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
... I will never visit california much less live there ...
I, for one, will find a way to muddle through my depression over missing you. Tell you what, just to be fair, I'll skip Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No, splitting hairs would be if I said that Oakland is technically a desert by that definition because it gets 18 inches a year
LOL... hey, where you getting your stats, CrackerJack boxes?

NOAA: 20.81
Annual Rainfall In 100 Largest U.S. Metro Areas: 21.59 inches
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Oakland Airport: 24 inches
City-Data: 24 inches
Oakland Wiki: 22.94 inches

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:13 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
LOL... hey, where you getting your stats, CrackerJack boxes?

NOAA: 20.81
Annual Rainfall In 100 Largest U.S. Metro Areas: 21.59 inches
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Oakland Airport: 24 inches
City-Data: 24 inches
Oakland Wiki: 22.94 inches
Old book I had on Bay Area weather LOL

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:12 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I figure anyone who uses the term dude has a skateboard

There are deserts, and then there are deserts, and then there are desserts, and I have my preference!
Damn Babyboomers LOL

Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Geez, we still splittin' hairs on this issue?! Annual precipitation for Temecula is 13.25 inches.

So regardless whether the technical criteria for a "desert" is 20 inches of rain or 10, a tropical paradise it definitely ain't. Although I understand the scorpions and rattlers (& Tea Partiers) like it a lot!
Exactly how many parts of SoCal and the Central Valley are tropical paradises? Think about that. LA gets about 2 more inches of rainfall a year. If it weren't for this thing called irrigation, most all of SoCal would look pretty much identical. Ditto for most of the state. Sacramento averages a whopping 5 inches more rainfall a year than Temecula. I had afternoon thunderstorms in FL dump more rain on me than that. I do believe that is why most of CA is classified as having a Mediterranean climate.

Now what sounds better to you, Mediterranean climate, or humid sub-tropical climate? Which climate sounds better for sitting outside on your patio with a glass of locally produced wine in your hand?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You should read my earlier post. I was not being 100% serious. Vice versa, we don't think about California.

Texas has just as many varying races of Hispanics as well.

I'm not discrediting California at all. I know its a powerhouse. You never told me anything about California's oil industry, in fact that was the first time I mentioned it. Again, I know all about the beloved Silicon Valley, I just don't understand the discredit Texas gets. The animosity is remarkably childish for grown men to be bickering over. We all say the same Pledge of Allegiance and answer to the same horrible Federal Government.

Keep Texans in Texas? Ha, like we have a reason to move to California in droves. Seriously, what on earth are you talking about?
Listen annie_himself I have nothing against Texas I was born in Oklahoma and lived there until I was 24 years old. The states of Texas and California goes head to head everyday because they are the two top states in the United States of America , that's OK but let's stay with the facts and the facts only. I wish Texas only the best in it's future , but let's agree to stop all of this California hating you're beginning to sound just like New York State.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Funny thing is, he will most likely post a very short reply, completely ignoring your post or completely dismissing it.
Bingo! You were so right.

Anyway, did anyone see 60 Minutes last night? They were talking about the huge number of companies that have left the U.S. and parked themselves overseas because the U.S. has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world at 35%.

Almost all countries have better tax rates than us now. A ton of companies have moved to Ireland and Switzerland where the rate is 15%. And they have hired tons of employees there, especially in Ireland.

We have so many Americans out of jobs and a national debt that will cripple ourselves and future generations. So now we get zero tax from those corporations that moved. If we lowered the corporate tax rate like the rest of the world has, we'd have something instead of nothing.

The new tax havens - 60 Minutes - CBS News

If you do a search on the Internet about California's business climate, it's ranked at 49 or 50. That's about as bad as it gets.

California is making the same mistake the federal government is making. If it backfired on the federal government, why should we be surprised if it backfires on California?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM

388 posts, read 849,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Bingo! You were so right.

Anyway, did anyone see 60 Minutes last night? They were talking about the huge number of companies that have left the U.S. and parked themselves overseas because the U.S. has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world at 35%.

Almost all countries have better tax rates than us now. A ton of companies have moved to Ireland and Switzerland where the rate is 15%. And they have hired tons of employees there, especially in Ireland.

We have so many Americans out of jobs and a national debt that will cripple ourselves and future generations. So now we get zero tax from those corporations that moved. If we lowered the corporate tax rate like the rest of the world has, we'd have something instead of nothing.

The new tax havens - 60 Minutes - CBS News

If you do a search on the Internet about California's business climate, it's ranked at 49 or 50. That's about as bad as it gets.

California is making the same mistake the federal government is making. If it backfired on the federal government, why should we be surprised if it backfires on California?
Thats an intersting point because one of the posters in the other thread made the point that California is better because it is the home of all the innovative companies, and Texas is just a place to bring your already established companies headquarters to get tax breaks, not to create or innovate companies.

I would think eventually companies wont even look to California to start their businesses and get them established when its such a bad business climate.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
A ton of companies have moved to Ireland and Switzerland where the rate is 15%. And they have hired tons of employees there, especially in Ireland.
How is Ireland doing these days, financially?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
How is Ireland doing these days, financially?
That's what I was thinking. Wasn't there something in one of these threads (they all blend together now) about Ireland not doing so well? Funny how things change to fit whatever argument some are having at any given moment isn't it? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California