Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 PM

388 posts, read 845,885 times

Advertisements

I agree this has become a pissing contest, everyone knows everywhere has it's good and bad and there is no utopia, but I really struggle with the tax breakdown .high relates. What taxes are you including, if it were pure income it would be 9300 to 0. I'm not sure where this other money is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM

20,506 posts, read 33,389,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nope.
Yes as it is nothing more than a bashing contest.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,680,779 times
The only interesting opinions worth listening to are of those who have actually resided in both Texas and California.

The rest are just a bunch of bashing and blather.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 PM

388 posts, read 845,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The only interesting opinions worth listening to are of those who have actually resided in both Texas and California.

The rest are just a bunch of bashing and blather.
Heck, at this point I'd take someone that's at least changed planes in both states.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 PM

315 posts, read 365,761 times
If I wanted to live in Texas, I'd move to Texas.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM

444 posts, read 662,690 times
The media has totally overhyped this nonsense that California is losing its economic clout the past decade while glorifying Texas' growth as if it's going to be the end all in state trends for the next century. If one didn't pay attention to the stats, it's as if CA has turned into the Michigan of the West Coast.

Look at the numbers provided in that article's graph closely:

California added 17.8% to its GDP from 2000-'10. That's a gain of more than 338 billion dollars since 2010.

Texas added 26.8% to its GDP from 2000-'10. That's a gain of 323 billion in the same time frame.

So to sum things up in raw numbers, CA still managed to gain $15 billion more in GDP compared to TX. And this is during an economically strong decade in Texas compared to a dismal CA one. If this trend continues (it won't) then Texas won't catch up to CA until. . . .never.

The media doesn't seem to want the masses to know these little tidbits. Just like in terms of population, I wouldn't be surprised if half the country believes that California is experiencing a decline in population (definitely not the case) which is what most of the biased East Coast and conservative Southern media wants us to believe.

According to the 2010 Census, California had the 2nd largest population gain (raw numbers) right after Texas and some say that if it weren't for the massive influx of Katrina evacuees the gap between #1 and #2 would be even closer.

But the media doesn't like mentioning that either. . .

Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,255,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Uh, why would you chose a state where the cost of living is through the roof, with houses that I can get in Texas for $200K costing over $400K in California? Not to mention the difference between a 9% tax on your income compared to no tax on your income. The only thing CA really has over TX would be the schools, I think.
Did you pay 9% of your income as tax to California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Even if that were true, 2% means 8000 bucks a year to me. So you can scoff at 2% (again, even if that's true)...I've done the math...I pay 11,000 in property taxes here in Texas (for a gorgeous home near the city on plenty of land in one of the best school districts in the state)...my income tax alone in Cali would be $36,000. Explain to me again where all my 'savings' would be?

I think your calculator is broken. Saying you would pay $36,000 in California tax is like saying you would pay $140,000 in federal taxes. In other words, the max rate applied to your entire income, with no deductions. I assume you did not pay $140,000 in federal tax last year.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM

1,995 posts, read 4,853,484 times
This is so true....I really do wonder why when it comes to California the negatives are pointed out,but when it's Texas the positives are noted.

I've been telling others on here that California does have problems,but were not living in Despair or feeling Hopeless.

California despite it's problems is still chugging along and this state always manages to pull through during tough times.

California in my opinion is one of those Super-States,and when you've achieved Super-State status it's very difficult or even impossible to drag down completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
The media has totally overhyped this nonsense that California is losing its economic clout the past decade while glorifying Texas' growth as if it's going to be the end all in state trends for the next century. If one didn't pay attention to the stats, it's as if CA has turned into the Michigan of the West Coast.

Look at the numbers provided in that article's graph closely:

California added 17.8% to its GDP from 2000-'10. That's a gain of more than 338 billion dollars since 2010.

Texas added 26.8% to its GDP from 2000-'10. That's a gain of 323 billion in the same time frame.

So to sum things up in raw numbers, CA still managed to gain $15 billion more in GDP compared to TX. And this is during an economically strong decade in Texas compared to a dismal CA one. If this trend continues (it won't) then Texas won't catch up to CA until. . . .never.

The media doesn't seem to want the masses to know these little tidbits. Just like in terms of population, I wouldn't be surprised if half the country believes that California is experiencing a decline in population (definitely not the case) which is what most of the biased East Coast and conservative Southern media wants us to believe.

According to the 2010 Census, California had the 2nd largest population gain (raw numbers) right after Texas and some say that if it weren't for the massive influx of Katrina evacuees the gap between #1 and #2 would be even closer.

But the media doesn't like mentioning that either. . .

Old 08-05-2011, 06:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,276,003 times
Why would I want to live in a state where the people have nothing better to do than worry about how much people in other states pay in taxes? Seriously, do people in Texas have nothing better to do?

You are misinformed about the rolling blackouts. First of all, they didn't affect the whole state. California has many power companies, both publically and privately-owned. If you would have taken the time to actually research what happened you would have found the legislation was written and lobbied for by several energy companies in Texas, Enron being one of them, that subsequently took control of electric generation and shut them down to fake a shortage and hike rates. There was a court case about this wherein several of the utility companies in California which almost went bankrupt, due to the corruption out of Texas, were attempting to recover their losses over the deal. Unfortunately, like Wall Street, got away with all of it while the companies they ran folded.

Most people here really don't care about Texas. I don't. It is just another state somewhere over there. I've been through it several times. I wasn't impressed. There was a lot of nothingness for miles with a few cities here and there and it was hotter than hell at high-sun in Africa and not much cooler at night. Half the people there are unable to articulate words with complex consonants.

The last person I met from Texas tried to explain it all to me. His explanation was, "Because you must have never ain't been from Texas." How is that for logic?

But if you like it I'm OK with that.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Why would I want to live in a state where the people have nothing better to do than worry about how much people in other states pay in taxes? Seriously, do people in Texas have nothing better to do?

You are misinformed about the rolling blackouts. First of all, they didn't affect the whole state. California has many power companies, both publically and privately-owned. If you would have taken the time to actually research what happened you would have found the legislation was written and lobbied for by several energy companies in Texas, Enron being one of them, that subsequently took control of electric generation and shut them down to fake a shortage and hike rates. There was a court case about this wherein several of the utility companies in California which almost went bankrupt, due to the corruption out of Texas, were attempting to recover their losses over the deal. Unfortunately, like Wall Street, got away with all of it while the companies they ran folded.

Most people here really don't care about Texas. I don't. It is just another state somewhere over there. I've been through it several times. I wasn't impressed. There was a lot of nothingness for miles with a few cities here and there and it was hotter than hell at high-sun in Africa and not much cooler at night. Half the people there are unable to articulate words with complex consonants.

The last person I met from Texas tried to explain it all to me. His explanation was, "Because you must have never ain't been from Texas." How is that for logic?

But if you like it I'm OK with that.
Had to rep you for this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California