U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 1,862 times

Advertisements

The company I work for has put me out to pasture in upstate New York. My children and grandchildren are in Menlo Park, CA. For many reasons, I need to relocate to be closer to family;however, the change in the cost of living is staggering. My kids, Lord love them, haven't got room to spare, so I am trying to come up with other housing possibilities. Is there a home share service that anyone can recommend? How about safe, affordable senior (modest income) housing anywhere in the area? At 60, reading the "roommate wanted" ads for the SF/SJ area is downright scary. I don't have a clue what or where is safe "out there" -- It is absolutely imperative arrangements to move west are accomplished before the end of the year. Suggestions? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
That particular area is one of the most desirable and expensive in the entire nation. So I understand your trepidation.

If it has to be Menlo Park, then start with the local housing commission:
Menlo Park Housing Commission

Sometimes, these city agencies can point in the right direction as far as finding affordable housing for seniors.

Found this link from the MP Housing commission website, looks useful:
Menlo Park Affordable Housing

If you find that the rental rates are still too high, then I recommend searching in nearby cities--if you open up your search area just a little wider, across the Dumbarton Bridge into the East Bay areas of Fremont or Newark, your housing options open up significantly. Those towns are relatively safe and nice as well-and very close to Menlo Park.

Well, Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 1,862 times
Default XLNT Info - thanks

18Montclair, can't thank you enough for the info. I'll certainly be checking into all the options. Waiting lists for senior housing are a year long! Ouch!
Here's to living a long, long time.

Am considering options across the bridge in Fremont/Union City. Don't qualify for the Mason's home. . . I've been told the accommodations are very nice.

All the best to you. MP

Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 592 times
Default Menlo Park life

Hi,
I'm moving in the other direction to be near grandchildren and will be in same boat needing reasonable housing. Used to live upstate near Catskill.

Would not do what other writer said..go to Fremont. Heck you're coming all the way across the country to be near grandchildren, who wants to drive 20-30 minutes or across a bridge to get to them.

I can't think of any websites but San Mateo County I think has living share situations. You might check out san mateo county government websites and look for any shared housing links.

I haven't been thrilled with Menlo Park. It's an easy, beautiful place to live but not terribly exciting. There are many wonderful things about it however...Stanford Univ. nearby has entertainment events, Kepler's bookstore has author readings, lots of restaurants and churches. I'm sure you'll find a decent place nearby if you are not opposed to having a roomate. If I was staying here, I'd invite you but I'm getting my house ready to rent out and it is expensive here--$3k mo.

I really need help to pack and organize papers if anyone out there in local area is willing to help a foggy senior..when it comes to papers anyway.

Good Luck to you fellow traveler

Mj

Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 AM

158 posts, read 173,599 times
I know nothing about California so not going to be much help here, but I wanted to wish you all the best It's wonderful that you are trying to move out to be near your children and grandkids. Please let us know how things are going for you during your search.

Good luck!!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 AM

254 posts, read 278,679 times
To OP, as long as you stay away from East Palo Alto, you will do fine in the vincinity. East Palo Alto is a completely different world than Palo Alto and Menlo Park.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:26 AM

3,069 posts, read 2,584,455 times
I have a different suggestion.

Yes, Menlo Park (and Atherton & Palo Alto & Woodside & Portal Valley & nice sections of Redwood City) are very expensive. And the traffic -- well, the roads are saturated, and driving a distance that you might expect to take, say, 30 mins might actually take 60 or 90. Yes, it is that bad.

So... my advice: with all due respect, just "suck it up", so to speak, and pay the money to live in Menlo Park. You can't take it with you. If Menlo Park is really, truly beyond your financial capabilities, I suggest you rethink moving to CA altogether. It may not be the place for you.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,032,522 times
Get your kids to move near you. They can bank their equity and help fund their retirement.

Years from now they'll thank you for it.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM

158 posts, read 173,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Get your kids to move near you. They can bank their equity and help fund their retirement.

Years from now they'll thank you for it.

I think if it were easy for her to do this, she would not be considering uprooting and moving out there, not so?

Probably easier said than done.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM

449 posts, read 512,787 times
wish you luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California