U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM

11,827 posts, read 12,700,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Heh. Florida.

No state income taxes where the millionaires like athletes and celebrities live freely in that state, yet it went through the worst unemployment period with high foreclosure rates.

Heading to Florida? Good luck. Not much of a economy there besides tourism and elderly residents.
And very wealthy South Americans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Florida is such a great state to save on taxes, I mean really,,,,

In California one must work 106 days in order to pay all your taxes.

In Lucky Florida you only have to work 101 days,, a whole 5 out of 365 days less!

In California one must pay a depressing 10.6 % of your income in taxes.

In Lucky Florida you only pay an enchanting 9.2% of your income in taxes

A whopping 1.4% difference.

And you get to live in Lucky Florida. The highest point in Florida is a whole 345 feet above sea level, just think of all the cool mountain biking and moto riding on the steep twisty roads and trails on Britton Hill......... Yep, just think about it..
LAWL .. Lets run through a scenario :
Person A : Investor who makes $100,000 a year in short term gains...

California :
> Income tax : ~$7,000

Florida :
> Income tax : $0

*Loads turbotax .. *files for state.. *Oh, you live in FL .. Sorry, no need to file..

I work 0 days out of 365 to pay income tax in FL ...
Property tax .. the total will be about half the comparative property tax bill in California ..

Sales tax :
Cali county : 8.25%
Florida county : 6.00%

Vehicle reg :
Florida : Flat fee of like $40 a year
California : Fees of like $60 + 0.625% of car's value...

I dont know about someone else's situation but I will be fairing just fine on taxes/cost of living .. I think i have proven you wholefully wrong on the b.s statistics on like 40 threads.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,606,724 times
Put your money where your mouth is and shove off. At least Curmudgeon did move out of state (instead of moaning and groaning and saying "someday").

"Property tax .. the total will be about half the comparative property tax bill in California ."

What's the apples to apples rate (as in similarly priced properties)?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Put your money where your mouth is and shove off. At least Curmudgeon did move out of state (instead of moaning and groaning and saying "someday").

"Property tax .. the total will be about half the comparative property tax bill in California ."

What's the apples to apples rate (as in similarly priced properties)?
2012 .. date is planed.. now relax and stop raging.
The %'age rate is higher in FL as you probably already know.. the home price is about 1/2 ... So, the total $$$ amount is a lot less...

Why are you searching so hard to find a tax that makes FL/CA similar? the two couldn't be further apart ...

NO STATE INCOME TAX .. what part of that do people not get?
There is no apples to apples comparison .. I'll be just as happy in FL as I am in CA .. I'm from FL .. my childhood was great ..
For the open mindedness that Californians have they sure seem close minded that happiness can be found in many places...

Great education.. Great fun .. Great salt water fishing .. Great fresh water fishing.. Great wake boarding .. Great beaches .. Great MB parks .. Great lots of things..

I know several friends with energy related startups.. Businesses .. etc .. Corp engineering jobs .. have already fished the pool.. could get a good paying job in no time...

"There are no jobs or industries in FL besides tourism/elderly" .. <- comments like these prove the ignorance of a lot people here.. Literally live in a bubble and think there is nothing beyond California's borders.. One of the reasons the state is in Decline...

Tax revenues are plunging in California due to things that could have been predicted long ahead of time...
Stick to the topic and stop trying to fish out some California vs. thisState foolishness

Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM

19,654 posts, read 11,972,120 times
Always wanted to go Bonefishing in the Keys. Alas 6 more years till the last hungry mouth turns 18. LOL

Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM

13,410 posts, read 24,404,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
LAWL .. Lets run through a scenario :
Person A : Investor who makes $100,000 a year in short term gains...

California :
> Income tax : ~$7,000

Florida :
> Income tax : $0

*Loads turbotax .. *files for state.. *Oh, you live in FL .. Sorry, no need to file..

I work 0 days out of 365 to pay income tax in FL ...
Property tax .. the total will be about half the comparative property tax bill in California ..

Sales tax :
Cali county : 8.25%
Florida county : 6.00%

Vehicle reg :
Florida : Flat fee of like $40 a year
California : Fees of like $60 + 0.625% of car's value...

I dont know about someone else's situation but I will be fairing just fine on taxes/cost of living .. I think i have proven you wholefully wrong on the b.s statistics on like 40 threads.
Only a couple of suggestions...

Most Sales Taxes around here are 10%

Cheapest car tags in my county cost $90 and this is for a car with no value... fee for this part is $1

Several I work with have already made the move to Oregon... all they have to do is sell the CA home and they are out...

OR car tags are cheap... for older cars you can get a 5 year tag for less than half the cost of 1 year in my CA county and of course... no State Sales Tax.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 AM

410 posts, read 318,767 times
Quote:
NO .. states like Florida and Texas don't have a state income tax.. And even when they do, it's not as high as California's...

As an investor, I'm heading to Florida in due time.. Tired of California taking 10% of my investment income for which I can make anywhere in the world...
It's almost equal to friggin capital gains..

Having rolled my 401k to the tune of 250% i'll also be drawing down on it once I finally leave .. California wont get any of that either.

I didn't get slammed as hard but I know many people who lost 20-30% of their wealth in the recent down turn in markets .. capitulated and sold everything... They have net losses actually for the year.

Almost 4 trillion has been wiped out worldwide w/ the rout in markets.. Nothing to laugh at and certainly not something that a state dependent on investment tax income wont feel ..

What many people who don't invest don't appreciate is the risk those take in order to make money on money they worked hard for.. Instead of spending every penny they make, they take their hard earned cash (yes it comes from somewhere .. mine came from an actual job) .. Sacrifice luxuries early on in life and risk it all in markets.. Sometimes they win .. Sometimes they loose ...

California punishes those people who takes that great risk (when they win)... Now California can enjoy getting punished now that they are loosing.
You are no investor. You spend all your day in city-data whining and moaning about a state in the US and frantically searching the web for articles to back your perceptions. My guess is you are retired and living on social security. (also California doesn't punish anyone other than criminals)

Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
You are no investor. You spend all your day in city-data whining and moaning about a state in the US and frantically searching the web for articles to back your perceptions. My guess is you are retired and living on social security. (also California doesn't punish anyone other than criminals)
Wont be the first time someone has made wrong statements about me.. I dont really care to prove you wrong though .. So :

B.T.W - I participate on a # of forums in order to poll the general mindset of the masses.. By debating w/ them and fleshing out their views, I gain an incredible amount of insight I wouldn't otherwise have.. It is sort of like going to the mall, apple store, etc to get on the ground observations of economic data you read about every week..

Some advice .. Keep your personal attacks to yourself... They don't serve any purpose related to discussing the topics at hand...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 08-11-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,106,459 times
Quote:

Some advice .. Keep your personal attacks to yourself... They don't serve any purpose related to discussing the topics at hand...

Really? You mean like how you have called others morons and embedded insulting photos aimed at others who don't agree with your views?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Really? You mean like how you have called others morons and embedded insulting photos aimed at others who don't agree with your views?
Like staying out of a conversation when no one is talking to you ... Making a general statement is not personal i.e : There are morons in the U.S.. Making a targeted false claim about a user is. Now move along and stop jumping in conversations not concerning you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California