U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM

1,819 posts, read 4,245,452 times

Advertisements

Shafter is about 15-20 mins outside of Bakersfield....It's a Nice Safe Community with a population of around 16,000 and has lots of New and Older Neighborhoods.

You also have access to Highway 99 and Santa Fe Highway if you ever need to head into Bakersfield.

Here's some info for you about Kern County since you mentioned you enjoyed outdoor activities.

Visit Kern (http://www.visitkern.com/outdoor.php - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,362,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
I wanted to know from those familiar with the Front Range area and the Bakersfield to Fresno area how they compare in the quality of life
In my opinion the quality of life is better on the Front Range. Bakersfield is an industrial city with a lot of visible pollution and surrounded by large agricultural areas that have a strong odor. Plus it's in the middle of the central California valley which supposedly gets very hot in the summer (I have not spent time there to know).

If I had the choice between Denver and Bakersfield or its surrounding towns, I would choose Denver without hesitation: cleaner air, relative lack of crime and close to beautiful mountains.

Quote:
I really want to come home to CA but have been made aware of many of the issues facing the state these days and it seems troubling. I am constantly running into people who have moved here or elsewhere trying to get out of CA for various reasons.
We moved to the Bay Area last year from Colorado. We love it here and would not consider living anywhere else (in the U.S.), but it's also based on the fact that I have a high-tech job and there are lots of job opportunities in this area for me, so "struggling" to survive is not an issue.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM

The odors from the agricultural fields does not linger around every day,but occasionally drift in at times when the wind direction shifts,and Bakersfield is large enough where even when the odor does drift in it doesn't cover the whole city.

Yeah the Air Quality isn't the best here,but it has improved and the air is breathable for most people and it's mostly a problem for those with a sensitive respiratory system.

It get's hot in Bakersfield,but not as hot as places like Vegas or Phoenix...Bakersfield get's influenced by the marine layer at times,so it moderates our Summer temps and it's even more noticeable during the evening hours.

The crime in Bakersfield is also not as bad as other places of it's size,while their are parts with a higher crime rate,most of the city in my opinion is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In my opinion the quality of life is better on the Front Range. Bakersfield is an industrial city with a lot of visible pollution and surrounded by large agricultural areas that have a strong odor. Plus it's in the middle of the central California valley which supposedly gets very hot in the summer (I have not spent time there to know).

If I had the choice between Denver and Bakersfield or its surrounding towns, I would choose Denver without hesitation: cleaner air, relative lack of crime and close to beautiful mountains.

We moved to the Bay Area last year from Colorado. We love it here and would not consider living anywhere else (in the U.S.), but it's also based on the fact that I have a high-tech job and there are lots of job opportunities in this area for me, so "struggling" to survive is not an issue.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 PM

307 posts, read 882,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

I live in Fort Collins so I am very used to agricultural odor, especially being close to Greeley. it doesn't bother me at all. In fact wear I grew up in CA there were lots of dairy farms that had odors as well. But it has never bothered me at all. We are agricultural people, anyway. Thanks though for the comparison! I am also not bothered by extreme dry heat...110 + is just fine. It is the Midwest humidity I cannot hardly tolerate. I think Denver is the most air poluted city I have ever seen, but then I have not been to Bakersfield, or L.A. But have lived in Sacto/Stockton area. But I am told they are not as bad.

I personally don't care for the Rockies in Colorado. I don't feel they hold a candle to the Sierra Nevada, but thats just my preference and feelings. Thanks for your info and willingness to help it is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Shafter is about 15-20 mins outside of Bakersfield....It's a Nice Safe Community with a population of around 16,000 and has lots of New and Older Neighborhoods.

You also have access to Highway 99 and Santa Fe Highway if you ever need to head into Bakersfield.

Here's some info for you about Kern County since you mentioned you enjoyed outdoor activities.

Visit Kern (http://www.visitkern.com/outdoor.php - broken link)
Thanks for the link I am going to check it out. Thanks for the recemmendation of Shafter! I appreciate it! That helps very much.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM

[quote=Caliguy2007;20430842]Yeah the Air Quality isn't the best here,but it has improved and the air is breathable for most people and it's mostly a problem for those with a sensitive respiratory system.

What exactly defines a "Sensitive Respiratory System"? I have seasonal allergies that are moderate to pretty bad when I lived in Various places in Nor-Cal but Nor-Cal is infamous for its allergy issues. I don't have Asthma or Emphysema or anything else. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:56 PM

How do others on here who are familiar with the Bakersfield area respond to what UltrazGSD said about the Fresno area concerning crime, economy and quality of life. I feel she was commenting on the Fresno area, which could be quite different than the Bakersfield area, or maybe not, like I said I am not familiar with these areas at all. Thanks for any insight to the Bakersfield area in comparison to the Fresno area that she described. I have been leaning towards the Bakersfield rural areas for several reasons. Please comment on that, or if UltrazGSD is familiar with that area as well, feel free to chime in, thanks.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Such as Asthma or Emphysema,but i'm not sure how your allergies will be affected in this area since everyone varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
What exactly defines a "Sensitive Respiratory System"? I have seasonal allergies that are moderate to pretty bad when I lived in Various places in Nor-Cal but Nor-Cal is infamous for its allergy issues. I don't have Asthma or Emphysema or anything else. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 4,631,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
It get's hot in Bakersfield,but not as hot as places like Vegas or Phoenix...Bakersfield get's influenced by the marine layer at times,so it moderates our Summer temps and it's even more noticeable during the evening hours.
True, but the humidity in Phoenix is typically much lower

Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 PM

The humidity is usually lower in Phoenix,but in my opinion Bakersfield's summers are still more tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
True, but the humidity in Phoenix is typically much lower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California