U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 PM

307 posts, read 882,731 times

Advertisements

yeah, i just have the typical allergies to trees, dust, grass etc. But they are not bad enough to warrant shots. Some seasons were worse than others in Nor-Cal. since I left CA I have hardly had any allergies at all. None in AZ and CO. We used to have pesticides sprayed all around us and it never bothered me neither did the smog...but is the smog CONSIDERABLY worse in Bakersfield, than Sacto area? thanks for any more info you can give me.

Please compare crime/quality of life between Fresno and Bakersfield areas based on what others like UltrazGSD were saying about the Fresno area, as I mentioned above. I will be living in rural communities, not Bakersfield itself but surely will spend time there. Thanks for any more info!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM

6,267 posts, read 13,684,659 times
After spending some time with my family in Fresno/Clovis to visit the Spring blooms (Blossom Festival) I was impressed with the area. At first when I told my wife we were going on a family vacation to Fresno she thought I was crazy. "So why would I leave Monterey to go vacation in Fresno?" After the visit we were all surprised with the area, partly due to lower expectations and the negative comments we hear about Fresno.

We also love the Sierras and these towns are are right next to the Sierra Foothills as well as Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park. A friend of mine who grew up in Fresno spent a lot of time mountain biking, hiking and fishing in the Sierras.

Upon return from our vacation I told my wife I would rather live in Clovis than the Front Range where we had moved from. We lived in the Springs, owned a home there and still have family in both Denver and the Springs. We are also California natives and missed CA after moving to CO like yourself. I also really missed being able to get in the car and drive to the coast, something which is impossible when you are land locked in the middle of the nation. I grew tired of living a mile high with no Spring, rather a long snow season (Sept-May) which blends into thunderstorm season/summer.

Here is Fresno in March. Try and imagine this anywhere in CO in March:

Then into the High Sierra and Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park in March (giant redwoods anyone?):

Then drive to the coast in March:

Where in CO can you do this?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-12-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 PM

Now like anywhere on this planet nowhere is perfect. So the above is the positive side to help balance out the negatives you will hear. The biggest concern I would have in living there Fresno/Clovis or Bakersfield is the quality of the air. While I love the outdoors I hate pollution. I guess they go hand in hand. Having concerns about the quality of the air is legitimate and gives one pause for thought. I may want to consider the foothill towns. Although I don't know how much better the air is there or how high you have to go to experience less of it (unhealthy levels of pollution).

Personally I much prefer the Clovis/North Fresno area to anywhere in Bakersfield. I don't really care for the city of Bakersfield at all. It just seems run to me and dirty/grungy, with oil drilling covering the local foothills. Though there are other options nearby. If I had to live over there I would probably head toward the Antelope Valley and places closer to the mountains/Grapevine like Tahachapi, west Lancaster.

Here is Gorman in April:

Antelope Vallley:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-12-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,573,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
How do others on here who are familiar with the Bakersfield area respond to what UltrazGSD said about the Fresno area concerning crime, economy and quality of life. I feel she was commenting on the Fresno area, which could be quite different than the Bakersfield area, or maybe not, like I said I am not familiar with these areas at all. Thanks for any insight to the Bakersfield area in comparison to the Fresno area that she described. I have been leaning towards the Bakersfield rural areas for several reasons. Please comment on that, or if UltrazGSD is familiar with that area as well, feel free to chime in, thanks.
Crime in Fresno and Bakersfield is actually lower than in the city of Sacramento or San Francisco or many other places such as Salt Lake City.

A couple of sources you can review:
This is a ranking of 400 US cities over 75,000 people from highest crime rate to lowest crime rate.
72. Sacramento, CA
105. Salt Lake City, UT
112. Pueblo, CO
123. Bakersfield, CA
130. San Francisco, CA
133. Fresno, CA
141. Denver, CO
161. Visalia, CA
171. Aurora, CO
175. Colorado Springs, CO
Full list at:
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Since many cities you are considering are smaller than 75,000 people I might suggest using the individual City-Data.com city pages. They have lots of info (cost of living, weather, demographics, industries, etc) including City-Data's own crime index that you can use to compare the smaller towns. For finding California and Colorado cities use these two links:
http://www.city-data.com/city/California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado.html

Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 PM

MtnSurfer: I agree 100%! Thanks for your info. I agree that Spring here in virtually non existent. I think Fort Collins has much less severe of a Winter than the Springs or Denver, but I agree that is hardly a Spring and the Fall is just laughable. I, like you have heard nothing but bad things about Fresno all of my life until recently have been reading up and investigating and starting to hear more good things. As I said before the Sierras are much, much better than the Colorado Rockies in my opinion. That gets me in trouble around here in CO saying that, but if people ask I will tell them. And like in your photo, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE GIANT REDWOODS! They are my most favorite tree in existence. I used to just soak them up. I used to spend a ton of time in the Sierras and the foothills growing up and into my adult years.

The California Poppies are always a pleasure to see! Thanks. Also, thanks for the info on Fresno/Clovis vs Bakersfield. Very helpful. I wish I was able to visit first. But will probably just pick a place there and move, and if I don't like it will investigate while I am there to choose something more suitable. The info about Bakersfield and the oil wells and town appearance was great too thanks. Do you feel the Fresno area is more desirable? Some people say Bakersfield is more desirable and others Fresno....very confusing. but everyone agrees that there is too much pollution. I guess that the Bkersfield area has more than the Fresno area. I might like to live somewhere between the two cities. I want to be in close proximity to the Sierras, as well as to Bakersfield for Country music activities. Unless there is a comparable country music scene around Fresno? Anyone?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Crime in Fresno and Bakersfield is actually lower than in the city of Sacramento or San Francisco or many other places such as Salt Lake City.

A couple of sources you can review:
This is a ranking of 400 US cities over 75,000 people from highest crime rate to lowest crime rate.
72. Sacramento, CA
105. Salt Lake City, UT
112. Pueblo, CO
123. Bakersfield, CA
130. San Francisco, CA
133. Fresno, CA
141. Denver, CO
161. Visalia, CA
171. Aurora, CO
175. Colorado Springs, CO
Full list at:
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Since many cities you are considering are smaller than 75,000 people I might suggest using the individual City-Data.com city pages. They have lots of info (cost of living, weather, demographics, industries, etc) including City-Data's own crime index that you can use to compare the smaller towns. For finding California and Colorado cities use these two links:
http://www.city-data.com/city/California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado.html
very good info...I am looking into the link as I speak. Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
MtnSurfer: I agree 100%! Thanks for your info. I agree that Spring here in virtually non existent. I think Fort Collins has much less severe of a Winter than the Springs or Denver, but I agree that is hardly a Spring and the Fall is just laughable. I, like you have heard nothing but bad things about Fresno all of my life until recently have been reading up and investigating and starting to hear more good things. As I said before the Sierras are much, much better than the Colorado Rockies in my opinion. That gets me in trouble around here in CO saying that, but if people ask I will tell them. And like in your photo, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE GIANT REDWOODS! They are my most favorite tree in existence. I used to just soak them up. I used to spend a ton of time in the Sierras and the foothills growing up and into my adult years.

The California Poppies are always a pleasure to see! Thanks. Also, thanks for the info on Fresno/Clovis vs Bakersfield. Very helpful. I wish I was able to visit first. But will probably just pick a place there and move, and if I don't like it will investigate while I am there to choose something more suitable. The info about Bakersfield and the oil wells and town appearance was great too thanks. Do you feel the Fresno area is more desirable? Some people say Bakersfield is more desirable and others Fresno....very confusing. but everyone agrees that there is too much pollution. I guess that the Bkersfield area has more than the Fresno area. I might like to live somewhere between the two cities. I want to be in close proximity to the Sierras, as well as to Bakersfield for Country music activities. Unless there is a comparable country music scene around Fresno? Anyone?
Glad to be of some help in your potential move back home. I'm not sure about the country music scene in Fresno. However the general consensus if choosing between Fresno and Bakersfield is that Fresno is the nicer of the two. See this thread which pretty much agrees with this choice. And keep in mind agreement here is a pretty rare thing especially in a "vs. thread":

Bakersfield vs Fresno

Of course everyone has their preferences and attractions to various areas for a number of reasons (work, family, social scene, etc...). I've driven through Porterville on my way to the Sierra Foothills in the Spring and its in a nicer area than Bakerfield from an athestic point of view. Old Stage Rd just outside Porterville is a beautiful country rd. to drive in the Spring winding through the Sierra Foothills. It definately could inspire a song or two :

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-13-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM

MtnSurfer: Thanks for the link I will look into that! Thanks for the info on Porterville too, that is one of the top places I was considering. Do you know anything about Lindsay? We have been considering that one for a while and it is closer to Fresno. Have been lookin into Clovis too, will continue to. I think Clovis is a little more urban than we want from what i hear? Maybe not. We were looking at Oakdale and Oakhurst too. Also Visalia, Tulare, Wasco, Shafter etc. etc. Basically all the rural communities between Fresno and Bakersfield. But want something closer in size to Porterville/Tulare/Visalia etc. Lindsay, we have heard is nice, but are not sure. Thanks for all the help you can further give me. Are those last photos from around Porterville? We heard its pretty there and clost to the Mountains which is awesome.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,573,200 times
Quote:
I want to be in close proximity to the Sierras, as well as to Bakersfield for Country music activities. Unless there is a comparable country music scene around Fresno? Anyone?
The country music scene will be larger around Bakersfield than Fresno. Fresno's music scene has some country, we do see a lot of touring country music acts perform here but not as much of a scene for local country music performers as probably exists in Bakersfield.
Quote:
Have been lookin into Clovis too, will continue to. I think Clovis is a little more urban than we want from what i hear? Maybe not.
Clovis used to have much more western influences but has been shifting to more of an upscale suburban community. Still has things like the rodeo and there is a lot of ranching in the hills east of the city. But definitely it is more suburban life than western now when it used to be the other way around.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The country music scene will be larger around Bakersfield than Fresno. Fresno's music scene has some country, we do see a lot of touring country music acts perform here but not as much of a scene for local country music performers as probably exists in Bakersfield.

Clovis used to have much more western influences but has been shifting to more of an upscale suburban community. Still has things like the rodeo and there is a lot of ranching in the hills east of the city. But definitely it is more suburban life than western now when it used to be the other way around.
Doing a google search it becomes pretty evident that Bakersfield is the place for country music in CA, not the only one of course, but possibly the biggest. It is is known as California's country music capital. You can even buy the t-shirt on Amazon : Amazon.com: BAKERSFIELD California's Country Music Capital T-shirt: Clothing (http://www.amazon.com/BAKERSFIELD-Californias-Country-Capital-T-shirt/dp/B000IKLX0I - broken link)

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California