Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 4,318 times

Advertisements

Ok, call me crazy.

Me, my wife(both 22), and our daughter(now about 16months) are sick of WV. Neither of us were born here. And, neither of us want to stay.We've got about $10,000 put back. And, if we wait til the beginning of the year, we'll have another $7000 or so to use.,

We were talking the other day about where we want to go. I mentioned that I'd like a warmer climate, and one of our friends shouted out California. We started talking about it a bit. And, I have heard some good things about northern Cali. It looks beautiful. From what I can read about it. It sounds like a dream.

Neither of us have degree's. We're both high school grads. But, that's as far as we got. Can we make it in CA? Where are some places I should research? We're thinking of making a trip out there, but I would love some input to where it would be worth looking...I'm wondering how long it would take us to find jobs. Also, if we could survive on what those jobs would be able to pay us.

Any input would be a big help. Thanks, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Urban, suburban or rural?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 AM

I'd like a more rural setting...somewhere with a little privacy. But, suburbia isn't bad, either. Just not somewhere overcrowded.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmybabys View Post
,,,And, I have heard some good things about northern Cali.,,,
Cali is in Colombia, South America. Please do not refer to CA with sloppy nick names.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:06 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Do you have any particular trade, or will you be in the entry-level job market? Do you need WARM weather, or just something milder than WV? Are you determined to try NorCal, or will you consider SoCal?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM

We will both be going entry-level with jobs for now. Don't necessarily need warm weather. I would consider SoCal. Just have heard worse things about going farther south. Seems a little more crowded. But, I'm on this forum for help, so I love all suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Cali is in Colombia, South America. Please do not refer to CA with sloppy nick names.
Are there going to be alot of people like this there? I mean, I get the hate of the term, but they could've at least added to the thread, instead of bashing me for using an abbreviated name.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
We will both be going entry-level with jobs for now. Don't necessarily need warm weather. I would consider SoCal. Just have heard worse things about going farther south. Seems a little more crowded. But, I'm on this forum for help, so I love all suggestions.

Are there going to be alot of people like this there? I mean, I get the hate of the term, but they could've at least added to the thread, instead of bashing me for using an abbreviated name.
No it's just a few people online.

Anyway, to answer your original questions, California is a nice place to live. We moved here from Colorado last year and we like it a lot here.

Apartment prices are really expensive if you live in the populated areas, but it sounds like you prefer smaller towns anyway, so the prices should be more affordable in some of those areas.

The weather is great. The best weather in the U.S.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM

I guess what I'm trying to find out is, can a family make it out here on entry-level employment? We would be coming with some money...about 15,000 after we get out there. But, will we be able to find employment that will satisfy our needs? Will we be able to pay our bills? If we take everything we have and move out there, there's no coming back.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Even in the boonies here it is very expensive compared with similar areas "Back East." Also, our rural unemployment is sky high. Meanwhile, for many entry level jobs, you would be competing with masses of Latin American immigrants (legal? Illegal? who knows ... ). It's sort of tough without a trade to ply. Get some experience in logging, construction or mining, then maybe you could pull it off.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to find out is, can a family make it out here on entry-level employment? We would be coming with some money...about 15,000 after we get out there. But, will we be able to find employment that will satisfy our needs? Will we be able to pay our bills? If we take everything we have and move out there, there's no coming back.
I hate to say this as you seem like a reasonable person but, without an education, California will be a tough row to hoe. As one poster said, you will be competing with immigrants for the the entry level jobs. The cost-of-living is still very high compared to the rest of the country, and every second word out of the new govenor's mouth is Taxes! Education is key to making it in California,,its better days have past it by. Do yourself and your family a good deed and move elsewhere. In my humble opinion of course,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California