U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM
 
4,340 posts, read 2,128,211 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
OK, then what do you have to offer besides "gloom-n-doom" and "the sky is falling"? Complaining and "just say no" is cheap (as the GOP knows only too well).... but providing "solutions" is much harder.

And BTW, in case we missed it, you're always free to reference your earlier posts just by number, instead of the typical dismissive (and trollish), "this has already been covered before".
Post #28

I think we need to grow business in California and get people back to work instead of raising taxes and fees. Many companies have outsourced their manufacturing overseas. I think we should boycott these companies. We should put these companies on notice that if they don't have a solid plan to bring back manufacturing to California in the near future we will stop purchasing their products and only buy "Made in America" and "Made in California" products.

I think we should lower business taxes and remove the regulations that are stifling business growth. We should give tax incentives to companies that bring business back ... bring manufacturing back.

I think we should not allow public employee unions. We should disband them and make it illegal for them to exist.

I think we should pass laws to make it illegal for public servants including politicians to receive any gifts, gratitude's or service from anyone, especially lobbyist, for any amount of value. The penalties should be severe for the public servant and lobbyist if caught. Lobbyist should be banned from government offices.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM
 
7,154 posts, read 3,743,600 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Go away troll ...
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
OK, then what do you have to offer besides "gloom-n-doom" and "the sky is falling"? Complaining and "just say no" is cheap (as the GOP knows only too well).... but providing "solutions" is much harder.

And BTW, in case we missed it, you're always free to reference your earlier posts just by number, instead of the typical dismissive (and trollish), "this has already been covered before".
If Don9 were to reference his former posts, one would see that 98% (at least) were the same "gloom and doom" "sky is falling" Tea-Party ranting of a true-believer with no individual thought of his own anywhere in print. -- Which is why I make my points as I do here on this thread ... as I said above:
California: finest 163,696 sq mi on the planet, with the world's 8th largest economy, including probably the strongest agricultural foundation and resources anywhere, with likely the world's largest brain-trust to boot --is NOT about to flame out ... it is continuing to meet its challenges ... as it, and every other place on the planet has always done and will continue to do ... and California has more resources with which to meet its challenges than any other 163,696 sq miles on the planet.

Name a place and time in history that existed without challenge? Garden of Eden? Nuh-uh ... had snakes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
15,909 posts, read 11,403,647 times
Reputation: 7675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
California is Bankrupt

``Since California will never/could never have any "surplus" revenues to pay off these warrants they are nothing but a blatant fraud. In the "real world" we already have a term for such fraud: "kiting a cheque". It is the last resort of all deadbeats -- just before they declare bankruptcy (http://iamfacingbankruptcy.com/ - broken link).''

Hold your breath until it happens
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,000 posts, read 3,513,370 times
Reputation: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Post #28

I think we need to grow business in California and get people back to work instead of raising taxes and fees......

I think we should lower business taxes and remove the regulations that are stifling business growth. We should give tax incentives to companies that bring business back ...
That's also called "increasing spending" while "reducing your revenue". And how's that strategy working for you in your own life?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM
 
4,340 posts, read 2,128,211 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
That's also called "increasing spending" while "reducing your revenue". And how's that strategy working for you in your own life?
By increasing the tax base you increase revenue. One of our problems with revenue is its shrinking due to high unemployment and businesses closing shop or moving out of California. Continuing to increase taxes without providing incentive for business growth will only lead to further reductions in tax payers and they will be paying higher taxes.

The money we spend on the unemployed is money saved if we can get them back to work.

My suggestions are only suggestions and I can modify as better ideas are presented. What ideas do you have to fix California's budget woes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,000 posts, read 3,513,370 times
Reputation: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
By increasing the tax base you increase revenue. One of our problems with revenue is its shrinking due to high unemployment and businesses closing shop or moving out of California. Continuing to increase taxes without providing incentive for business growth will only lead to further reductions in tax payers and they will be paying higher taxes.

The money we spend on the unemployed is money saved if we can get them back to work.

My suggestions are only suggestions and I can modify as better ideas are presented. What ideas do you have to fix California's budget woes.
Well, I'm still waiting for all those (continuing) Bush era tax cuts to kick in and "jump start" the economy... (I know, any day now)!

As to "ideas", I see things as essentially that Cali is becoming a "new economy" state, driven largely by education, creativity, and new technology, and not surprisingly all those are most common in the popular (and liberal) coastal areas, with higher wages and rising costs of living to match. But we also need to re-examine education here. Not everyone can be a computer programmer, so we'll always need manufacturing, along with "vocational training". And I like the 2-tiered German educational model, of separate college and vocational training, working in close conjunction with industry.

Yes, let's offer some "incentives" to manufacturing, but tie 'em to actual employment numbers, not just "relocating" here. Also, I don't think Prop 13 should continue to be a "sacred cow" and could be "tweaked", especially on "investor" resales of supposed "residences", similar to the way the federal capital gains exemption on homes requires minimum residence times.

And generally speaking, I don't see any evidence that "conservative" ideas have served us that well anyway. Just look at all the poorest counties in this state.... they sure ain't "liberal" or "blue" ones!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:17 PM
 
4,340 posts, read 2,128,211 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, I'm still waiting for all those (continuing) Bush era tax cuts to kick in and "jump start" the economy... (I know, any day now)!

As to "ideas", I see things as essentially that Cali is becoming a "new economy" state, driven largely by education, creativity, and new technology, and not surprisingly all those are most common in the popular (and liberal) coastal areas, with higher wages and rising costs of living to match. But we also need to re-examine education here. Not everyone can be a computer programmer, so we'll always need manufacturing, along with "vocational training". And I like the 2-tiered German educational model, of separate college and vocational training, working in close conjunction with industry.

Yes, let's offer some "incentives" to manufacturing, but tie 'em to actual employment numbers, not just "relocating" here. Also, I don't think Prop 13 should continue to be a "sacred cow" and could be "tweaked", especially on "investor" resales of supposed "residences", similar to the way the federal capital gains exemption on homes requires minimum residence times.

And generally speaking, I don't see any evidence that "conservative" ideas have served us that well anyway. Just look at all the poorest counties in this state.... they sure ain't "liberal" or "blue" ones!
California is a leader in new technology and innovation ... and will probably remain a leader for years to come. I work in high technology development and we do work closely with universities in research and development ... we have been for decades. Matter of fact ARPANET (precursor to the internet) was developed to connect universities, research laboratories and government agencies for programs and R&D work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM
 
7,154 posts, read 3,743,600 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
... Go away troll ...
No.

Actually Don, I am here as a rebuttle to your very premises that the state is bankrupt and rudderless and without solutions ... also to your perennial assertions that democratic liberals are to blame for the problems facing the state ... and certainly that the Tea-Party solutions are the only way out.

Neither democrats nor republicans are at the root of the current economic troubles ... avarice, greed, and foolishness across the board in the world of real estate is what crashed the economy -- temporarily. This reality has also spotlighted a variety of other weaknesses and flaws in our public sector infrastructures that need to be addressed seriously -- but which were not in imminent danger of driving the state over any cliff given the unmatched resources California has to work with. Addressing those issues is worthy, timely and necessary -- but not worthy of panic and fear-mongering ... which is what I accuse you of fomenting.

Furthermore, your suggested solutions are patently absurd, un-American, and self-contradictory. You state you are against big government interference -- and yet you want to ban unions which would be a government control action limiting personal freedom? You call for boycotting businesses unless they bring the jobs back -- by some definitions extortion, that would raise costs on consumers to boot. And you want to treat one small minority of citizens as a special class -- exempting them from paying for the opportunities they benefit from at HUGE difference from the rest of the population ... which is a reverse discrimination that flies in the face of the principles of democracy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
5,130 posts, read 5,601,900 times
Reputation: 4081
It is kinda cool that the State I live in cannot pay its bills because if it ever came to the point where I couldn't pay my own bills, I would not feel least bit bad about it! I could tell the creditors that if even the State I live in couldn't pay its bills, why should I?

I agree with Caraway, I much rather flip burgers in CA than have a much nicer job in certain other States where I would dislike living in. You only live once so you gotta enjoy your life and where you live, making money only goes so far for me!

PS. Thank you for the Benny Hill laughs, I love that funny chubby b@st@rd!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:53 PM
 
7,154 posts, read 3,743,600 times
Reputation: 3806
Here's a little additional verification of my refutations of Don9's positional statements ... this instance regarding the "jobs overseas ruining California's economy" line of thought ... just published in the LA Times yesterday:

"Goods and services from China accounted for only 2.7% of U.S. personal consumption spending in 2010, according to the report titled "The U.S. Content of 'Made in China.' " About 88.5% of U.S. spending last year was on American-made products and services."

And how much of the 11.5% of overseas business production that is purchased by Americans is of a type that competes with California jobs, do you suppose? California is agriculture and high-tech above all ... neither of which are impacted noticeably by foreign productivity. And neither of which are going away or taking a back seat to any place else. No place on earth has the agricultural resource that California has in the same amount of space. And high-tech folks just plain love it here
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top