U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM

15 posts, read 50,713 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to relocate to Herlong, outside of Susanville. anyone with any information, would be greatly appreciated. We are coming from the Tucson area, and know nothing about Herlong, nor can we find anything about it online. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 04:49 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
There is not much to recommend Herlong. It's out in the middle of no-where in the high desert. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The nearest big town is Reno, maybe 50 -60 miles away. Are you working at the army depot there as there doesn't seem to be any other work in the area except maybe the prisons near Susanville?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks you for replying! My dh works for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, so yes, we are in the prison work field! I homeschool are children & plan to also there. We are just trying to get any information on the area, as neither of us has been to CA ever, so we don't know what to expect in this area of the state.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
In that case, why not live in Susanville which is a bigger town than Herlong. There is a little more to do there (not by much!).

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,753,022 times
SInce my last post was deleted, I will give you this info. Herlong is extremely run down. It looks like a ghost town, totally falling apart. There are plans to add new homes and stores, but they are still in the process of county approval. So it will be sometime before that project even starts. The homes in and around Herlong are run down. There are a few nice homes, but they are in the middle of the run down areas. Most CO's from Herlong that live in Susanville carpool. I also have heard about Herlong vans that meet people at pick up spots and carpool the CO's to Herlong. If you want more info, send me a PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
SInce my last post was deleted, I will give you this info. Herlong is extremely run down. It looks like a ghost town, totally falling apart. There are plans to add new homes and stores, but they are still in the process of county approval. So it will be sometime before that project even starts. The homes in and around Herlong are run down. There are a few nice homes, but they are in the middle of the run down areas. Most CO's from Herlong that live in Susanville carpool. I also have heard about Herlong vans that meet people at pick up spots and carpool the CO's to Herlong. If you want more info, send me a PM.
I pm'd you thanks!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:19 PM

323 posts, read 988,966 times
I grew up on Westwood (small town of around 2,000) that's about 26 miles from Susanville in the middle of the National Forest. I miss that place so bad it hurts sometimes. The best memories of mine and my sisters lives were in that town. It was the town that everyone hated growing up in (with nothing to do mom!) but when you grew up, you realized what a blessing you were given for the memories and fun, lack of violent crimes, and peace of mind, you couldn't have had in many other places.

Susanville was THE spot to go on Friday and Saturday nights for the movies, cruising, etc. Heck back in the mid 80's when I was in high school, Susanville only had one major fast food that I can remember and that was a Burger King. (They also had Arctic Circle(A-C Greasy)).

Keep in mind, this was way before the major prison boom in Hurlong. I've heard things have changed a lot by some, and others say it's still the same old Mayberry. Hope the latter opinions are correct!

Deer & Bear & Lakes & More... towards the forest/mountain side of Susanville.

Good luck in your move... I doubt you'll regret the decision to move there. If you move anywhere in California, this area of Cali, would definitely be a GREAT choice!

Sincerely, a long lost local (Desiree Linder back then)

Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,414 times
I grew up in Westwood and it was great. I always found things to do, but like one other person said Herlong is in the desert, usually if I lived there I would haveinteresting things to do. God bless you all.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,552,980 times
I grew up in Plumas County. When we went to high school basketball games in Herlong, it was just depressing. I agree w/previous posters and have to ask why not live in Susanville?

Desiree- Are you related to Loren Linder?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,960,762 times
Look at Janesville for a small place to live that's not too terribly far. It's close to Susanville too so you have easy shopping and might help with homeschooling meetings and such. Herlong is sort of not a super fun place to live. High desert, yuck. If you guys do ATV's or horses you might like it fine. It was cheaper last time I looked than most of the surrounding areas for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or