Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:24 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I don't think thatguy has spent much time in rural areas.
I don't think 'rural' areas have much of the nation's population ....
And I don't think rural areas are devoid of libraries and other alternatives that would allow one to obtain educational enrichment if they sought it ... The issue is many don't seek it .. I took a 45 min. bus to get to a library when my parents couldn't afford a computer much less an internet bill ..

I wonder how many people choose to do that vs. kick up their feet and watch jersey shore on a 52" w/ satellite dish .... and I frankly don't care since I know education is within just about everyone's reach in this country.

I'm not from a silver spoon family (my family was very poor) so you can feed that guilt/you dont have any perspective nonsense to some wealthy person who feels wrong about what they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Y'all discussing each other, or this rather interesting topic???

Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Y'all discussing each other, or this rather interesting topic???
The topic NewToCA .. while the thread link discussed the widening expansion of education through uses of technology, there are some people grumbling about the significantly small number of people in this country that don't have access to high speed internet (who are seeking it) .. Meanwhile forgetting about public libraries and institutions nearby them that do have it (if they sought it) ...

I'm just trying to squash the detraction attempt away from the topic by those trying to throw a pity party

Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The topic NewToCA .. while the thread link discussed the widening expansion of education through uses of technology, there are some people grumbling about the significantly small number of people in this country that don't have access to high speed internet (who are seeking it) .. Meanwhile forgetting about public libraries and institutions nearby them that do have it (if they sought it) ...

I'm just trying to squash the detraction attempt away from the topic by those trying to throw a pity party
On the other hand, if you hadn't said this following statement of yours in the original post:

Quote:
With all the Free resources available in this day and age, its a wonder anyone complains that they can't get an education.
Then the thread certainly could have gone into a different direction and revolved more around the article you posted. But instead, you used that article to help support your sweeping generalization of a population segment who really have no access to the basic broadband technology.

With the exception of my last post that was aimed at being sarcastic, I feel that all of my other posts in this thread was on topic, no matter how far apart we agree on the exact percentage of those who do not have access to broadband technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California