Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
One bad manager at one location and write the whole chain off?
Heck NO! The modern way is to write off the entire race the manager belongs to regardless of where they work. That is the entire reason to mention the racial difference in the first place. Why bother to create a divide if we do not exploit it? Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
My mom has a good friend who's from Miami. She's Anglo and said that if you don't speak Spanish in Miami (regardless of your race) you're a second class citizen. She said she would never live there again due to being made to feel uncomfortable in many businesses and even government offices by Cuban-Americans (who are the movers and shakers in that area). She may be exaggerating - I've never been there.
She's not exaggerating .. Born and raised in FL myself... This is generally the case in Miami .. One of the reasons it pisses me off that we don't have an official language in the U.S and ban such foolishness. Such practices have begun bleeding over into broward county and is thus pushing more assimilated Americans up further north in FL.. W/ all the corruption and foolishness that was brought to Miami by the steamrolled immigration .. Many of the more assimilated and multi-gen non-spanish Americans just began picking up shop and left.. Let them have it ...

It would seem a similar flight is occurring in many parts of California.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Heck NO! The modern way is to write off the entire race the manager belongs to regardless of where they work. That is the entire reason to mention the racial difference in the first place. Why bother to create a divide if we do not exploit it? Sheesh!
A modern way is to (once something is observed at one location), to investigate the other locations. The fact that the feds got involved should tip you off this just wasn't one boneheaded manager...

Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
These statements are just so funny to me.

Honestly one can use anecdotal evidence to support just about any assumption. I guess it is better than reading a bunch of studies...
You made a blanket statement about how only whites have the power to discriminate because of their number and I pointed out a fact as to cities like Cupertino's overshadowing #'s in terms of Asian population to show how there are examples in which Asians dominate in #'s and have equal power as the whites you claim :

There is nothing anecdotal about what I referenced.. It was a pointing out of fact !
Captain obvious is obviously not reading any studies or data else he wouldn't have made such a clown statement especially living in the mecca of asian population in the U.S

Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
My mom has a good friend who's from Miami. She's Anglo and said that if you don't speak Spanish in Miami (regardless of your race) you're a second class citizen. She said she would never live there again due to being made to feel uncomfortable in many businesses and even government offices by Cuban-Americans (who are the movers and shakers in that area). She may be exaggerating - I've never been there.
I think there has to be at least some truth to this. I too live in a big Spanish speaking community and this does happen here as well. Not to the degree it seems your mom's friend experience but it does happen. There is some shunning of you if you don't speak Spanish.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
This whole thing is a Panda-Monium.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,818 times
Quote:
Based on numbers alone Asians can't discriminate on the same scale as Whites. Asians only make up a small percentage of the population.

Are you suggesting that there is a higher racist percentage among Asians compared to Whites? Are 20% of Asians racists towards Blacks and Latinos, whereas only 10% of Whites are racist towards Blacks and Latinos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
In the valley, some cities are 60% Asian .. So, the answer is, it depends on the geography and concentration .. In the valley, there is lots of racism/discrimination from Indians/Asians that are not a couple of generations into having an American background ..
Quote:
You made a blanket statement about how only whites have the power to discriminate because of their number and I pointed out a fact as to cities like Cupertino's overshadowing #'s in terms of Asian population to show how there are examples in which Asians dominate in #'s and have equal power as the whites you claim :

There is nothing anecdotal about what I referenced.. It was a pointing out of fact !
Captain obvious is obviously not reading any studies or data else he wouldn't have made such a clown statement especially living in the mecca of asian population in the U.S
So you can't quote me right and that study you cited doesn't even support the proposition that you made (the one that I took issue with). Good Job

Old 08-18-2011, 04:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
So you can't quote me right and that study you cited doesn't even support the proposition that you made. Good Job

And I thought I was the only one who noticed it. BTW, I don't know of any cities in the central valley that has a population of at least 60% of Asians. Unless my geography is lousy, I always thought Cupertino was near to the coast.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
She's not exaggerating .. Born and raised in FL myself... This is generally the case in Miami .. One of the reasons it pisses me off that we don't have an official language in the U.S and ban such foolishness. Such practices have begun bleeding over into broward county and is thus pushing more assimilated Americans up further north in FL.. W/ all the corruption and foolishness that was brought to Miami by the steamrolled immigration .. Many of the more assimilated and multi-gen non-spanish Americans just began picking up shop and left.. Let them have it ...

It would seem a similar flight is occurring in many parts of California.
Yep you're right, especially in SoCal.

It's weird here; Chula Vista never actually touches the border but what you guys are talking about is real. Imperial Beach does touch the border but oddly isn't like this as much.

I'm pretty much expected to Speak Spanish when I'm out. I can understand a lot of it but don't speak it. Some of the stores here have announcements in Spanish only. While having sings in both languages is smart so close to the border The Spanish one should not be above the English one and twice as large.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So you can't quote me right and that study you cited doesn't even support the proposition that you made (the one that I took issue with). Good Job
Next time learn to quote the statement you take issue with.. It goes a long way in getting a good reply. The power in #'s statement about whites and racism related to their #'s by you :

Quote:
"Based on numbers alone Asians can't discriminate on the same scale as Whites."
was refuted by the data showing :

That is just data reference and relation ...

As for my statement :
"In the valley, there is lots of racism/discrimination from Indians/Asians that are not a couple of generations into having an American background .."
^ this is an opinionated anecdote

I stand by my statement .. Notice how I didn't didn't quantify how much racism/discrimination ...

Both remarks seem fine to me... So as you were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California