Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 17,129 times

Advertisements

I have two daughters in middle school. We are thinking of moving to Bakersfield from a West Texas city with long hot and dry summers (100+ temps for weeks) with desert windy winters. Is Bakersfield a place to raise a family? We are looking for a new adventure in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,206,714 times
The weather is pretty much the same in Bakersfield from what you've described of "West Texas", although you'll be 2hrs nearer to the coast with cooler temps.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Is Bakersfield a safe place for the family?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,206,714 times
It's safe in certain spots, generally just stay west of the 99 and avoid areas off the 58, parts of downtown aren't that bad either. There are a couple of members here who live there and may give you more detailed info.

Also, just to let you know if you haven't already seen the numerous threads about air quality in the Central Valley, it's bad, central California cities usually make up most of the top cities for bad air quality (in the nation) which can affect one's health.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the information!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,027 times
Bakersfield is a family oriented city and like every other mid-sized city it has it's good areas and bad,but in my opinion most of Bakersfield is safe to my standards,and your also just 2 1/2 hours to the Beaches and L.A,and Vegas is about 5 1/2 hours away too....If you enjoy outdoor activities then I think you'll enjoy living here in Kern County...I provided you with some info about Bakersfield and Kern County below,as well as some of the activities you can enjoy here and it's surrounding areas.

Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Visit Kern (http://www.visitkern.com/outdoor.php - broken link)

Official Municipal Website, City of Bakersfield, California

The Official Bakersfield, California Travel Web Site - Bakersfield Sound - Basque Food and More!

Rabobank Arena Theater & Convention Center

Recreation & Parks Department

Bright House Networks Amphitheatre

Bakersfield Ice Sports Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernickfamily View Post
I have two daughters in middle school. We are thinking of moving to Bakersfield from a West Texas city with long hot and dry summers (100+ temps for weeks) with desert windy winters. Is Bakersfield a place to raise a family? We are looking for a new adventure in life.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,027 times
Their are still many good areas east of highway 99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
generally just stay west of the 99 and avoid areas off the 58, parts of downtown aren't that bad either.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 PM

158 posts, read 330,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Bakersfield is a family oriented city and like every other mid-sized city it has it's good areas and bad,but in my opinion most of Bakersfield is safe to my standards,and your also just 2 1/2 hours to the Beaches and L.A,and Vegas is about 5 1/2 hours away too....If you enjoy outdoor activities then I think you'll enjoy living here in Kern County...I provided you with some info about Bakersfield and Kern County below,as well as some of the activities you can enjoy here and it's surrounding areas.

Bakersfield, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Visit Kern (http://www.visitkern.com/outdoor.php - broken link)

Official Municipal Website, City of Bakersfield, California

The Official Bakersfield, California Travel Web Site - Bakersfield Sound - Basque Food and More!

Rabobank Arena Theater & Convention Center

Recreation & Parks Department

Bright House Networks Amphitheatre

Bakersfield Ice Sports Center

This was very helpful to me. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM

245 posts, read 542,488 times
We just moved here as well and trust me, having lived in hotttttt AZ, the locals here in CA have no idea what heat is. The hottest I have seen it so far in Bakersfield is 103 and by 7 pm your down to like 80 or so. In AZ even at 3am its not 80 degrees. I would recommend the place and we moved here around the 4th of july, so very recently.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM

158 posts, read 330,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
We just moved here as well and trust me, having lived in hotttttt AZ, the locals here in CA have no idea what heat is. The hottest I have seen it so far in Bakersfield is 103 and by 7 pm your down to like 80 or so. In AZ even at 3am its not 80 degrees. I would recommend the place and we moved here around the 4th of july, so very recently.

Bruce, you are a breath of fresh air! I really appreciate your comments.

We are hoping to come out for a couple days BEFORE taking the plunge. Job opportunity is great (exactly what hubby wants as a dream job), medical and vacation leave great. Right now our medical sucks. I had a CT Scan done and our co-pay on it is $2,432.00. I still am in shock

The only negative thing that worries me is pollution. Reading those reports up to recently which mentioned that it's the worst in the nation really bugs me. But hey, I'll have great medical insurance for doctors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California