U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,534,394 times

Advertisements

CA has decided to direct deposit EDD (un employment) checks to a new debit card issued by BofA. My check was deposited to this new account/card last Wednesday, I get the card today. Truck payment was due yesterday. It takes two to three days for funds to transfer to my Wells Fargo account.

In what wisdom was it decided to deposit funds to a account and mail out cards a week later? B of A folks online and on the telephone were clueless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,101,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
CA has decided to direct deposit EDD (un employment) checks to a new debit card issued by BofA. My check was deposited to this new account/card last Wednesday, I get the card today. Truck payment was due yesterday. It takes two to three days for funds to transfer to my Wells Fargo account.

In what wisdom was it decided to deposit funds to a account and mail out cards a week later? B of A folks online and on the telephone were clueless.
I am assuming this is a one time card (delay) thus you should only encounter this 'delay' once? Thus it is not a big deal....

Otherwise stow some cash aside or charge things on a credit card so you have a month 'float'.

*problem solved

Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM

2,344 posts, read 5,399,979 times
My wife has been getting paid the same way while on maternity leave from work and we haven't had any problems at all. It's been really easy and convenient to access the money right away. I think your experience was hopefully just a fluke.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Just a lack of logic to deposit funds and mail the card to access it a week later.
B of A had no help to offer. The card is equal to that of a gift card purchased from 7/11.
In the long run it may prove more reliable than their mail service but I doubt it. Any transfer to funds is delayed for 3-4 days.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,620,493 times
EDD gave plenty of warning about the new Debit Cards. It helps to plan accordingly. Once you have the card, all you have to do is certify over the phone on the date you would normally send the claim form, normally it's a Sunday. The money will be on the card by Tuesday rather than waiting till the end of the week for a check. As yeahthatguy said, it was a one time delay. It's faster from that point on.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

25,626 posts, read 33,555,002 times
My BIL who just lost his job 5 months ago was telling my about this new process over the weekend. He said it worked out fine for him. He got the card walked into the BofA got his money, went and deposited it into his checking account. No problem what so ever. He also said the card was good for three years.

Hopefully the next payment will go better for ya.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,088,226 times
Quote:

It's simple, a live check is likely to actually be drawn upon whereas this new scheme assures that a lower percentage will actually be drawn. Pretty sick isn't it?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 PM

25,626 posts, read 33,555,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's simple, a live check is likely to actually be drawn upon whereas this new scheme assures that a lower percentage will actually be drawn. Pretty sick isn't it?
Not getting what your laying down billy.

According to my BIL he is getting his money faster and no chance of the check getting lost in the mail. He said the last time he sent out his claim form three days later the money was in the bank.

What this does do is make the claimants susceptible to fees and charges if they don't handle getting their money correctly from BofA. Which I think is Bull****.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
EDD gave plenty of warning about the new Debit Cards. It helps to plan accordingly.,,.
I had warning 3 months ago. I was ready. EDD planned badly as it has taken too long to receive the funds. Mail the damn cards out before so residents can set up transfers accordingly.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,620,493 times
Quote:
I had warning 3 months ago. I was ready. EDD planned badly as it has taken too long to receive the funds. Mail the damn cards out before so residents can set up transfers accordingly.
I'm not sure if I understand. They mailed the cards out with warning. Why not go to a BofA ATM and withdraw the money you need then deposit it in your bank? Is there not a BofA near you? If not then I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California