U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,729 posts, read 18,416,726 times
Reputation: 6432

Advertisements

I got my vehicle registration renewel yesterday & the fees increased $13.00 from $67.00 to $80.00. Thats way too high for a 26 yr old car. Its dirty how our corrupt & greedy govenor & legislature snuck the increase in the budget. If i didnt need a car for work i surely would do without. Hopefully someday these dirty politicians gets theirs & its not too pleasant. I dont even trust my local assemblyman paul cook (R). Hes done a few sneaky & quesionable things himself but people continue to vote him & the other dirt bags into office. What ashame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego
35,136 posts, read 32,128,390 times
Reputation: 19673
It's the biggest reason I sold my 3rd car, a beemer. They can only rob me for my primary vehicles now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, Placerville
2,487 posts, read 5,117,743 times
Reputation: 2172
People with older cars use the same resources as people with late model vehicles.

An argument can be made that they use more resources. Many of them have lower fuel economy and they certainly contribute more to the air pollution problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,115 posts, read 7,243,798 times
Reputation: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
People with older cars use the same resources as people with late model vehicles.

An argument can be made that they use more resources. Many of them have lower fuel economy and they certainly contribute more to the air pollution problem.
Agreed!

And honestly $13 more a year isn't much, when you consider how much more someone with a new car is paying - and you both get to live in California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,729 posts, read 18,416,726 times
Reputation: 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Agreed!

And honestly $13 more a year isn't much, when you consider how much more someone with a new car is paying - and you both get to live in California!
Thats 13 bucks i could of used towards other things like phone bill, etc. The state robs you big time with new vehicle fees. When you're liars, thieves & whores its expected though. Over 38 mil people live in ca incl 12 million illegals so anyone can live in ca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, Placerville
2,487 posts, read 5,117,743 times
Reputation: 2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Thats 13 bucks i could of used towards other things like phone bill, etc. The state robs you big time with new vehicle fees. When you're liars, thieves & whores its expected though. Over 38 mil people live in ca incl 12 million illegals so anyone can live in ca.
People who are paying much more for fees can make the same argument.

What makes you think you should pay less than anyone else for using the same services?

Anyone can leave California at any time if they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,662 posts, read 26,288,133 times
Reputation: 5089
As I have reminded many before. The additional fees are property tax!
Other states tax vehicles as property and is included on state property tax. CA is locked into the 1% property tax and has included the yearly automoble tax to the yearly registration.

If you compare apples and oranges to oranges and apples it is pretty much the same across the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 5,787,366 times
Reputation: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
As I have reminded many before. The additional fees are property tax!
Other states tax vehicles as property and is included on state property tax. CA is locked into the 1% property tax and has included the yearly automoble tax to the yearly registration.

If you compare apples and oranges to oranges and apples it is pretty much the same across the nation.
Still a rip off !.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Carmichael, CA
2,009 posts, read 3,011,919 times
Reputation: 3199
The VLF fee can be deducted on your income tax (if you can itemize.) However, they lowered the VLF and raised the registration fee (because it's a "fee" and not a tax, so it fit with the governor's pledge to not raise taxes without the approval of the voters. The registration fee can't be deducted on your income tax.

So not only are a lot of people paying more this year, they'll be hit again at tax time.

They should have just left the VLF alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,057 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Reputation: 12630
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
The VLF fee can be deducted on your income tax (if you can itemize.) However, they lowered the VLF and raised the registration fee (because it's a "fee" and not a tax, so it fit with the governor's pledge to not raise taxes without the approval of the voters. The registration fee can't be deducted on your income tax.

So not only are a lot of people paying more this year, they'll be hit again at tax time.

They should have just left the VLF alone.
And by "more" you mean everyone with a car valued at more than $2,400 will be paying less, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top