Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 PM

75 posts, read 159,610 times

Advertisements

OK so this is going to sound strange but I live in Southern California and I still need your help.

I grew up here and moved to smaller towns in Philly and England so I was gone for 13 years.

9 years ago I had breast cancer and due to the surgeries I can not drive very far anymore. I get about 15 minutes of driving and then I'm in so much pain I cant drive home.

15 Minutes in So Cal gets you half way from Tustin to Fullerton on the freeway and then I'm literally stuck.

In Philly and England I was fine, the towns were so small I could drive, get out of the car, walk all over town, get back in the car and come home.
Living out there I didn't feel disabled, I didn't think I was but since I got home Ive gotten stuck and needed help getting home and I have become a hermit and I hate it.

So I am looking for walkable communities and I was hoping you could help.

I need a food shops, shopping mall, post office, bank, coffee house, entertainment and anything else i can throw in, within walking distance of my house.

Some day Huntington Beach is great. Others say get out of So Cal.
I don't need a tiny town, I need a safe, walkable town.

Thanks for your help. Its greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am in Tustin / Irvine area near Tustin marketplace and trust me although it seems walkable its just not. Crossing the street is like suicide and no one cares about pedestrians.

Thanks so much!

Katyia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,242,937 times
I visited a friend in Pasadena recently. It has a great walkable downtown with lots of shops/restaurants/bars, etc. It seems pretty safe and upscale and you also have the light rail that can take you to downtown LA, where you can connect to the subway, commuter rail and Amtrak. It reminded me more of a town you see up here in the Bay Area than down in SoCal.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 PM

611 posts, read 1,588,063 times
What do you exactly mean by OC and North? Is North OC the farthest you're willing to go, or do you mean north into LA county?

In OC, your options are a lot more limited in terms of walkable neighborhoods with all the amenities you're looking for. Downtown Fullerton and Orange Circle comes to mind. Downtown Fullerton has a more college town atmosphere and depending on your age and what you're looking for, it could be a good or bad thing. Tustin/Irvine is definitely not a walkable city/area. The surface streets can be 8 lanes wide in some places lol.

Once you get into LA city, there are a lot more walkable neighborhoods. It would help to know your budget in this case as well. West Hollywood, Culver City, Studio City, parts of Mid-Wilshire are relatively safe areas that are plenty walkable. Belmont Shores in Long Beach is another great area as well.

It all depends on your budget and what type of atmosphere you're looking for in a neighborhood.

Last edited by Nightscape; 08-26-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,710,669 times
Instead of HB I'd look at Old Town Seal Beach. Completely 100% walkable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California