Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,034 times

Advertisements

More taxes going to the wrong cause....

The Senate Appropriations Committee approved the final part of a two-bill package known as the California Dream Act, which would allow students who qualify for reduced in-state tuition to apply for an estimated $40 million in Cal Grants, community college fee waivers, and other public scholarship and grant programs.

California Senate panel OKs part of Dream Act - latimes.com

Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Educated people pay more taxes, the state recoups its investment and society benefits.
Amazing how that works.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM

40 posts, read 86,030 times
Also, something you should realize, Texas has been using public funds for years to educate illegals at university level and I have never seen Perry do anything about it (oh wait he supports illegal immigration). So few illigals actually qualify for this type of grant (and yes its a grant not federal aid), that I doubt few will use it. I don't support illegal immigration or welfare, however its a sad tragedy that a parent brings their child to this country illegally, they grow up as an American and speak fluent English and later they find out that they are not an American. I think we should give the parents a monetary fine (and force them to start paying tax) and allow the student to legally immigrate and become part of tax paying society.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Can't say I agree with this at all. I'm all for private funds and scholarships and even in state tuition....but not public funds. We don't have any.

One of the qualifications for a Cal Grant is registering for selective service if required to do so. Now I'm all curious about how that will work.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-28-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
Also, something you should realize, Texas has been using public funds for years to educate illegals at university level and I have never seen Perry do anything about it (oh wait he supports illegal immigration). So few illigals actually qualify for this type of grant (and yes its a grant not federal aid), that I doubt few will use it. I don't support illegal immigration or welfare, however its a sad tragedy that a parent brings their child to this country illegally, they grow up as an American and speak fluent English and later they find out that they are not an American. I think we should give the parents a monetary fine (and force them to start paying tax) and allow the student to legally immigrate and become part of tax paying society.
Your assuming that the only people that will benefit from this were brought here against their will as young children. You do realize that many teenagers can also sneak in intentionally on their own and take advantage of this?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
Can you provide a link to back up your statement?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
They are illegal and as such, should be arrested and thrown out of the country. This issue is a non issue. Tax dollars, in anyway, shape or form, shouldn't be given to criminals. THEY are criminals and I could care the hell less about "anchor babies," et al. They are here illegally and are criminals. Period. End of story.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
More taxes going to the wrong cause....

The Senate Appropriations Committee approved the final part of a two-bill package known as the California Dream Act, which would allow students who qualify for reduced in-state tuition to apply for an estimated $40 million in Cal Grants, community college fee waivers, and other public scholarship and grant programs.

California Senate panel OKs part of Dream Act - latimes.com
Just another reason why I'm heading out of California ...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Educated people pay more taxes
Educated criminals too? For every criminal illegal alien in a California institute of higher learning it means one less place avilable for a US born California resident. For every dollar spent on educating an illegal means one less dollar available for US citizens.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
And yet they can't legally work after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California