Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The old money and new money crowd in LA is more flashy for sure tho. Not saying that's good or bad, just that it is-in fact, Ive been told on more than one occasion that my taste is more in line with LA than SF which I dont mind cause I love the way Angelenos dress. LOL.

But I have found SFs social scene(as in High Society) to be larger, more multi-generational and a bit more complex than its LA equivalent, where the lines between real high society and the Hollywood elite are greatly blurred--but its not the same thing.
I think "old money" San Franciscans look like a more multi-culti version of Upper East-siders. "New Money" San Franciscans are as my sister calls it "working rich" people. They still need a job to fund their lifestyles. And these people are likely to work because they like it. Much more casual. I bet because they are on the go to stay successful at work. And work doesn't have much relationship to appearances.

Being practical rules in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
I of course prefer to live in my hometown, but I really like Los Angeles. I've always enjoyed my trips down there, have family there and could easily live there if the right job came along. I've never been much for zero sum comparisons of metro areas - they all have their good points.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They are very different, but more alike than California to non-CA city.

Full disclosure, I haven't spent a ton of time in LA (but have many LA native friends).

1. Things are much farther apart in LA. You need to factor in traffic/congestion for most trips. This is only true in the Bay Area is you are leaving your "zone" East Bay, Peninsula, South Bay.
2. Transit is generally better in the Bay Area than in LA, but LA is making big improvements
3. Downtown SF is more cohesive than downtown LA. Downtown LA had been abandoned for awhile so it is up and coming. Downtown SF is more of a destination and always has been.
4. The weather is different. Especially in the summer. The winter is a bit chillier and rainier in the Bay Area. But it is a few degrees, not dramatic. You are more likely to have random hot days in the winter in LA than SF. But they do happen. SF has a very unsunny micro-climate. The rest of the bay area is dramatically sunnier.
5. People generally have different jobs. You are more likely to run into an entertainment person in LA. In SF and the greater Bay Area it is likely you will run into someone in tech, finance or sciences.
6. SF has a very small fashion scene and fashion/socialites aren't very common or prevalent vs as in LA.
7. Because you find people are in appearance industries in Socal (entertainment, fashion), people care more about "appearances." Appearances in SF is a little more subtle, and you'll see that people are more likely to judge for driving the right car, eating the right type of food, and supporting the right causes. (In SF: OMG did you actually eat at McDonald's. Gross! That's not seasonal/local/organic. LA: OMG, she looks like she just woke up and didn't bother to do her makeup)<<exaggeration
8. Cultural amenities and opportunities are very similar. If you like nightclubs, LA wins. Nightlife in the Bay is about the bars. Generally a dive or artisan cocktails sort of place. Museums etc, it is a toss up. Both places have excellent amenities
9. The Bay Area is generally more mixed. People are pretty separate by class/ethnicity/religion in LA. In the Bay Area this isn't as true. In LA you'll find Armenian, Iranian, Egyptian, Chinese, Korean, Mexican .... communities where they only talk to each other and socialize with each other. It is more segregated, especially by class, than the bay area.
I was going to post but, you took all my words away

Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
9. The Bay Area is generally more mixed. People are pretty separate by class/ethnicity/religion in LA. In the Bay Area this isn't as true. In LA you'll find Armenian, Iranian, Egyptian, Chinese, Korean, Mexican .... communities where they only talk to each other and socialize with each other. It is more segregated, especially by class, than the bay area.
True. The Bay Area is much less segregated than L.A. L.A. is the tenth most segregated urban area in America. Blacks and Hispanics tend to live together in L.A. and never see White or Asian people on a regular basis unless it is the police or liquor store or mini-mart owners.

Where Are the Top 10 Most Segregated Cities? - TIME NewsFeed

Gentrification has caused San Francisco to become more integrated post 2000. Many of the once predominantly Black enclaves in SF are no longer 60-80% Black like the OMI and Hunter's Point. San Francisco is still somewhat segregated, but much less so than the majority of cities in the country. The northern half of SF is very White and very rich. The rest of the city is a mix of Asian and White with a more complete mix of Asian, White, Black and Hispanic in the southern half of SF in neighborhoods like the Mission, OMI, Excelsior, Visitacion Valley, Hunter's Point etc. Many areas in East Bay cities, like Oakland, are among the most ethnically diverse and integrated in the country.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
OK, the niners had some good years but:

Dodgers 1959, 63, 65, 81, 88
Lakers 1972, 1980, 83, 85, 87, 88 99, 2000, 2001, 2009, 2010
Los Angeles Rams 1951
Los Angeles Raiders 1983
California Angels 2007
Anaheim Ducks 2004

Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 PM

27 posts, read 120,752 times
Thank you for all those wonderful responses! So most of you would agree then that LA DOES have more to do, more going on, etc. than the Bay? I know it's a much larger city overall, but I wondered whether perhaps the urban center of SF itself was larger than LAs urban center, and if that might make things different than they appear.

This would seem to imply that LA has everything that SF has. There are mainly two things that do seem to be lacking, though: secluded beaches, and areas with cooler coastal forests. Anyone happen to know if either of these can be found anywhere around the Los Angeles basin, or even up by Santa Barbara?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC99 View Post
Thank you for all those wonderful responses! So most of you would agree then that LA DOES have more to do, more going on, etc. than the Bay? I know it's a much larger city overall, but I wondered whether perhaps the urban center of SF itself was larger than LAs urban center, and if that might make things different than they appear.

This would seem to imply that LA has everything that SF has. There are mainly two things that do seem to be lacking, though: secluded beaches, and areas with cooler coastal forests. Anyone happen to know if either of these can be found anywhere around the Los Angeles basin, or even up by Santa Barbara?
There are no coastal forest in SoCal with the exception of a tiny remnant of rare pines at Torrey Pines on the central San Diego County coast. As for secluded beaches, someone else may know more about that than I would.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM

296 posts, read 614,129 times
Whoever said SF has more hills than LA is completely wrong wrong wrong.....

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Whoever said SF has more hills than LA is completely wrong wrong wrong.....
Same goes for SF being more integrated by class. Sf and the bay is hyper segregated by class. There is really just pricey upscale and downscale trashy and that is really it.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 AM

152 posts, read 335,189 times
The Los Padres National Forest near coast in Santa Barbara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California