Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times

Advertisements

If one buys an item at a distant store, returns home to discover the store did not include all the components of an item, call it a gas barbecue.

Whose responsibility is it to resolve that issue.

Should the customer be required to make another 100 mile round trip to get the missing parts,

Or should the store UPS or Fedex the missing parts?

Ideas, opinions?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
If one buys an item at a distant store, returns home to discover the store did not include all the components of an item, call it a gas barbecue.

Whose responsibility is it to resolve that issue.

Should the customer be required to make another 100 mile round trip to get the missing parts,

Or should the store UPS or Fedex the missing parts?

Ideas, opinions?
Thanks.
The store can say "You should have checked before you left" and it would be the customer's responsibility.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
California has some of the strongest consumer protection laws in the country.

What we have here is technically called "breach of implied warranty of merchantability". The store must send you the missing parts at no cost to you, or, alternatively, you can send the barbecue back to the store and they must refund you the purchase price and shipping costs. Refer to California Civil Code, sections 1791-1794, and California Commercial Code, sections 2711-2715.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Just seen this on Judge Judy. Person bought windshield in USA and transported to New Zealand to discover it was wrong windshield. Buyer thought store was responsible for shipping new windshield. The judge ruled the place of purchase was the place to make transfer.

Back to the OP. In the instructions to the bbq it likely tells you to contact them for any missing parts.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:04 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Just seen this on Judge Judy. Person bought windshield in USA and transported to New Zealand to discover it was wrong windshield. Buyer thought store was responsible for shipping new windshield. The judge ruled the place of purchase was the place to make transfer.
That's slightly different - there's no breach on the part of the store - it sounds like they sold a perfectly good windshield, it's not their fault that it was not the right kind for the customer.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
If the store is smart, they'll go out of their way to make it right for you.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Essmith I owe you a beer. Your information was spot on, I read the pertinent sections of the code. I have bookmarked the page with the codes.

I called their customer service, a call center in India, the problem with that is that they are not trained to look at the legal side. She just read passages from her book..

She did talk to the store manager of the large national chain store, who basically said, drive down and pick up the missing pieces or sue us.

From a customer service angle the manager really sucked. My guess is that she just did not want to be bothered.

I usually buy from locally owned stores and seldom from national chains, and this is one reason why. The locally owned chain stores, Farm Supply or Miners Hardware for instance are happy to transfer product to a store closer to the buyer, these guys could have easily done so..

It wasn't a gas barby, but rather a lawn tractor accessory, I need it, since I would be unable to walk in with equanimity, god works in mysterious ways, my brother has to go to that town tomorrow and get some car work done, so he is willing to pick up the parts.

Notice I did a great job of not naming the store or town or manager.. not proper, but certainly a temptation.

I will write a letter to the company... annoying, I have spent a bundle at this company this year.

Thanks for your alls interest and information.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quite frankly, I wish you HAD named the store.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Quite frankly, I wish you HAD named the store.
I figured it might cross some city-data line....

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I figured it might cross some city-data line....
Nope, everyone gets bashed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California