Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

So we have lots of kids born here in California to American citizens. Many of those kids will not be able to attend college because of the cost. Too bad for them.

Good for those kids whose parents broke the law and brought them to this country illegally. The Legislature just gave away an estimated $40million a year to this group of kids who if and when Gov Brown signs it into law will now get to attend college for free..

Something is very wrong with this situation. This legislature could care less about their own California Born citizens and would prefer that you sneak into this state to get that free education. The only good thing about this is that maybe people will wake up and realize that these guys have to be voted out of Sacramento. We have a big enough problem with our enemies on the outside in other nations. We don't need to have enemies in control of our state.

Many within the state have a problem giving their money to those that are citizens of the state and nation. You can't tell me that this doesn't ruffle a lot of feathers when our elected officials do something with our money that won't even benefit the state. Come on. It is time to make a change and get rid of these guys.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA621KVPLM.DTL

Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So we have lots of kids born here in California to American citizens. Many of those kids will not be able to attend college because of the cost. Too bad for them.

Good for those kids whose parents broke the law and brought them to this country illegally. The Legislature just gave away an estimated $40million a year to this group of kids who if and when Gov Brown signs it into law will now get to attend college for free..

Something is very wrong with this situation. This legislature could care less about their own California Born citizens and would prefer that you sneak into this state to get that free education. The only good thing about this is that maybe people will wake up and realize that these guys have to be voted out of Sacramento. We have a big enough problem with our enemies on the outside in other nations. We don't need to have enemies in control of our state.

Many within the state have a problem giving their money to those that are citizens of the state and nation. You can't tell me that this doesn't ruffle a lot of feathers when our elected officials do something with our money that won't even benefit the state. Come on. It is time to make a change and get rid of these guys.

California Dream Act goes to Gov. Jerry Brown
Yup ... pretty treasonous if you ask me. What even worse is the DHS is not stopping illegals from entering and not deporting under the Obama administration. The foreigners know this now and are heading our way in droves and not just from the south. By next summer we should see an overwhelming increase in illegal aliens tapping into our system causing an overload.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

California Dream Act goes to Gov. Jerry Brown

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this bill. I can see how it is unfair to grant illegal immigrants public funding to enroll in colleges in California, and I'm also aware that there are many citizens who can't afford to go to college.

Realistically speaking, deporting illegal immigrants by masses would be a logistical nightmare. Even though they are likely to stick around, I'd rather that they be educated.

Last edited by TimC2462; 09-04-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Realistically speaking, deporting illegal immigrants by masses would be a logistical nightmare. Even though they are likely to stick around, I'd rather that they be educated.
while i agree, no one without a proven record of academic excellence should go to college for free. everyone who decides to go to college should have some skin in the game just to make sure that they have some accountability for going to class and (hopefully) ultimately obtaining a degree. the state spends huge amounts of money on subsidized tuition for students who eventually drop out, such a shame.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
but I'm also aware that there are many citizens who can't afford to go to college.
This is not an accurate statement, anyone who wants to go to college can afford to go to college. If you know some one who claims they cannot afford to go to college, they are not being truthful.

Regarding the children of undocumented. If they get financial aid it is because they qualify academically and financially,

And, if they get financial aid, they get it after all citizens who have requested financial aid have received theirs.

Now, can anyone tell me that not educating young people is better than educating them?

Can anyone tell me that leaving them little choice but low end jobs and gang membership is preferable to training them in useful occupations?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
The Dream Act doesn't contain a path to citizenship. So the taxpayers put however-many thousands into eductating someone who CANNOT LEGALLY WORK IN THIS COUNTRY.

Of course, there's always under the table jobs, but they can do that without college.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
What the heck is California supposed to do when the Federal Government is NOT DOING ITS JOB with respect to this issue??

This is not even a subject any state should touch because its not even under state jurisdiction but states like CA and AZ are then going to pass laws that reflect the prevailing attitudes of their voters....hence AZ saying one thing and CA saying another.

Bottom Line: The Federal Government needs to stop dragging its feet. Otherwise, I say fund this so we dont have a bunch of uneducated, illegal miscreants(many US born kids are miscreants too btw) running around our streets and then demand a reimbursement from the Federal Govt.

Make a public ado about demanding the money back from the Fed, splash it all over the media....at very least, that will give DC a black eye and expose their lack of political will to do anything about illegal immigration.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
This is not an accurate statement, anyone who wants to go to college can afford to go to college. If you know some one who claims they cannot afford to go to college, they are not being truthful.

Regarding the children of undocumented. If they get financial aid it is because they qualify academically and financially,

And, if they get financial aid, they get it after all citizens who have requested financial aid have received theirs.

Now, can anyone tell me that not educating young people is better than educating them?

Can anyone tell me that leaving them little choice but low end jobs and gang membership is preferable to training them in useful occupations?
This is hearsay until you provide credible sources to prove your statement.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is not even a subject any state should touch because its not even under state jurisdiction but states like CA and AZ are then going to pass laws that reflect the prevailing attitudes of their voters....hence AZ saying one thing and CA saying another.
I didn't see the "Dream Act" on any ballot to vote on.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:27 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia strikes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California