Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,631,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
So what if its Cal fire or volunteer ... the bottom line is there is less money and resources to fight major wildfires. Same as Texas.
The difference is accuracy. If I say that there will be fewer oranges to pick this year.

And you respond that I said there were fewer apples to pick this year.

and I point out your inaccuracy, and you respond with, well, there will be less fruit this year.........

See the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,130,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
As for cutting volunteer fire departments, only a liberal would not get that "volunteer" means "unpaid".
On the other hand, the whole idea of providing firefighting coverage across wide swaths of the state exclusively by volunteer (in other words, poorly trained, inexperienced and part-time) firefighters, just to save a buck, seems like something dreamed up by a conservative. That's bad enough, but then going even further and saving money by cutting fuel/repairs/equipment budgets in those fire departments is downright criminal.

BTW, it's not just about wildfires. Volunteer crews provide most of the firefighting and emergency response in Texas, that includes house fires as well as wildfires.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,819,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Funny thing, in 40 years of fighting wildfire in the west, I saw precious few crews from Texas.
That might be because TX doesn't have or maintain the crews that CA does because we don't normally have the same risks that CA does. We don't normally need to maintain a huge wildfire crews, we do however maintain large swift water search & rescue crews who have seen plenty action in CA during past disasters.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
From the big city are you? Let me help you with the concept, equipment son, equipment, training son, training. Training and equipment cost money, glad I could help you with that.

That came out of your imagination. I spent my life fighting wildfire, I know, more that most, what they do. I also know what they do when fire crews do not have the material and equipment they need.
If anything you claim is actually true then you know there's no reason for TX to spend millions of dollars on wild fire equipment due to the relatively low risk to the state compared to other states like CA. Equipment can be moved from state to state, it's done all the time.

According to you you've spent your entire life doing a lot of things and you seem to believe you're the expert on all of them yet with some of the worst wildfires ever seen in the state of TX going on you're sitting on your rear end in CA while a lot of brave, qualified fire fighters from your state head to TX. I applaud them for doing what fire fighters do and for not making this a political situation. Those are the people I have no problem helping when TX or other states have to send help to CA after an earthquake.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If anything you claim is actually true then you know there's no reason for TX to spend millions of dollars on wild fire equipment due to the relatively low risk to the state compared to other states like CA. Equipment can be moved from state to state, it's done all the time.

According to you you've spent your entire life doing a lot of things and you seem to believe you're the expert on all of them yet with some of the worst wildfires ever seen in the state of TX going on you're sitting on your rear end in CA while a lot of brave, qualified fire fighters from your state head to TX. I applaud them for doing what fire fighters do and for not making this a political situation. Those are the people I have no problem helping when TX or other states have to send help to CA after an earthquake.
I find it funny that .highnlite likes to present his observations about not seeing TX firefighters in his world as some kind of definitive statement.

For those of us who live in Texas, very near the biggest fire right now (Bastrop), we know that we are in a record drought and the fires that started this weekend occurred under very strong wind conditions. We had strong 25+ MPH wind conditions all weekend through Monday. Super low humidity. Bastrop has unique geography in central texas. It includes an area called "the Lost Pines" - full of beautiful tall pine trees. When dry like now - they practially explode with fire and make it easy for fire to spread almost instantly across tree tops. I read that firefighters say that the Bastrop fire was virtually unstoppable under the weather conditions Sunday and Monday. Progress is being made now with the calmer weather Tuesday and today.

As for help to/from other states - Texas provided huge amounts of help to Louisiana during Katrina. Texas would happily provide help to any state that asked for it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I find it funny that .highnlite likes to present his observations about not seeing TX firefighters in his world as some kind of definitive statement.

MOD CUT

The fact of the matter is TX has sent crews for all sorts of emergencies all over the country and the world, when disaster strikes TX always has someone on the way.

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-07-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: let's not make this more personal, please

Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,228,155 times
I also spent a lot of time fighting wildfires in my youth. If any agency sends crews and equipment to anywhere, they get paid by the agency requesting the help. In the case of Texas, they're racking up a pretty large bill. It might be interesting to see what the NICS finance form looks like at the end of their fire season.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,406,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
This has to be the worst post I've ever read here at C-D. This has got be an all-time low here at the California board. Oh, and someone from Hawaii criticizing any other state, oh the irony.
I'm from Texas. It's a great state and unfortunately the most beautiful part of it is now burning.

And I've seen way too many posts on this board praising Texas for cutting government.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 09-07-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
The original post is incomplete, inaccurate, and sourced from Jim Hightower, a long-standing bitter opponent of Rick Perry.

A more complete picture of Texas funding in areas related to firefighting:

Did Perry Slash the Volunteer Fire Fighter Budget? - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,841,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
This has to be the worst post I've ever read here at C-D. This has got be an all-time low here at the California board. Oh, and someone from Hawaii criticizing any other state, oh the irony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Oh? Did Winkosmosis say something untrue? And, by the way, Wink isn't from Hawaii -- he just lives / works there for the past couple years ... he has a suitable background for his observation, which perhaps he will elaborate. But, in any case, why would it be ironic if a Hawaiian criticized another state -- and in particular Texas? You must know something about Hawaii I don't ... fill me in (it is one of three states in which I maintain residence)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
??? Now your speaking for other people ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'm from Texas. It's a great state and unfortunately the most beautiful part of it is now burning.

And I've seen way too many posts on this board praising Texas for cutting government.
You see, I knew this (Winkosmosis was from Texas) from posts on the Hawaii forum ... 'scuse my chuckling ... thanks for clarifying in your own post, Wink sir ... and carry on, by all means
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: