U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 PM

13,408 posts, read 15,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I don't know much but i do know that i'm one of many, many people who voted for Obama and had high hopes that he would make a difference.
He's been a disappointment.
I, like others, had unrealistic and idealistic expectations.
Like Boxer's encouraged lawsuit would infer, I suspect a decent % of Obama voters now are having a bit of "buyer's remorse".

I know many of the younger supporters assumed he'd have closed Gitmo by now, be out of Afghanistan and Iraq, have single payer health insurance, support this clean air implementation...etc...

Not posting this to excuse him or point fingers at him or his supporters, just trying to summarize why some previous supporters are disappointed.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,218,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
How can anyone not get this? Obama is as much a politician as anyone else who has ever held that office. I understand how he sold a bunch of folks that he was different before being elected, but you'd have to be a real dense person to not know he's just another politician now. Whether you support him or hate him, you have to admit he's a typical politician.

So yeah, he isn't going to touch any issue that might cause him to lose more votes than he will gain, or arm his opponents with campaign material.

Hope and Change was nothing but a brilliant campaign slogan.
Yes, he fooled not only American citizens ... he fooled the world. I would say he is not the typical politician who was elected President. I don't know of any President who flat out lies to the people with a straight face ... over and over again. The man is full of deceit and deception.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,026,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Like Boxer's encouraged lawsuit would infer, I suspect a decent % of Obama voters now are having a bit of "buyer's remorse".

I know many of the younger supporters assumed he'd have closed Gitmo by now, be out of Afghanistan and Iraq, have single payer health insurance, support this clean air implementation...etc...

Not posting this to excuse him or point fingers at him or his supporters, just trying to summarize why some previous supporters are disappointed.
Given the alternative (McCain / Palin) i don't think that there is "buyers remorse".
But there is disappointment.
To those who were "there" at the time (either as witnesses [like me as a child of the 60's and 70's] or participants), Obama seemed to represent the best of liberalism (not what it has become today) and he seemed to be someone who would reignite that spark of change that was an integral part of the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement and many of the responsible, intelligent and functional social programs of that time.
There was also great hope because this country actually voted in an African American to the presidency.
Just that alone gave many people hope that the U.S. was ready to change its course.
As i see it, because that change hasn't really happened and because it seems that it may not, what we face is either an intensification of this current crisis which cannot be denied or a slow and degenerative process that will further ware down the will of the people (whether they're conscious of it or not).
I think that, speaking generally, people are so numb to what is actually going on that only an undeniable crisis will wake them out of this dis-empowered slumber (brought to you, in large part, by the corporate america power mongers).
Like i said in a previous post, if this were the 60's, there would be a revolution.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,941,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Yes, he fooled not only American citizens ... he fooled the world. I would say he is not the typical politician who was elected President. I don't know of any President who flat out lies to the people with a straight face ... over and over again. The man is full of deceit and deception.
You don't? The majority of us out here do. Nixon, Reagan, G.W. Bush all come to mind right off the top of my head.

But you're right: "Obama is not the typical politician" ... he's actually intelligent, for one thing ... and he is not a chest-beating, pseudo-ape, for another. I won't defend or criticize his policy philosophies and mandates in this statement ... all are entitled to their views on policy ... but character? The guy has outstanding character.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM

18,593 posts, read 15,069,144 times
Quote:
I have to question whether he knowingly, purposely, outright lied or whether he honestly believed, through power-brokering, bombasts and the perceived strength of the office (obviously not strength of character) that he could accomplish whatever he wanted to.

Remember, the people voted in someone startlingly and horribly inexperienced.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-10-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Given the alternative (McCain / Palin) i don't think that there is "buyers remorse".
But there is disappointment.
To those who were "there" at the time (either as witnesses [like me as a child of the 60's and 70's] or participants), Obama seemed to represent the best of liberalism (not what it has become today) and he seemed to be someone who would reignite that spark of change that was an integral part of the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement and many of the responsible, intelligent and functional social programs of that time.
There was also great hope because this country actually voted in an African American to the presidency.
Just that alone gave many people hope that the U.S. was ready to change its course.
As i see it, because that change hasn't really happened and because it seems that it may not, what we face is either an intensification of this current crisis which cannot be denied or a slow and degenerative process that will further ware down the will of the people (whether they're conscious of it or not).
I think that, speaking generally, people are so numb to what is actually going on that only an undeniable crisis will wake them out of this dis-empowered slumber (brought to you, in large part, by the corporate america power mongers).
Like i said in a previous post, if this were the 60's, there would be a revolution.
But there is going to be a revolution ... starting October 6th

Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I have to question whether he knowingly, purposely, outright lied of whether he honestly believe, through power-brokering, bombasts and the perceived strength of the office (obviously not strength of character) that he could accomplish whatever he wanted to.

Remember, the people voted in someone startlingly and horribly inexperienced.
You think Obama is just an inexperience naive politicians who just happened to stumble into the presidency?

No, if you study the man and his early history as community organizer, inspired by Saul Alinsky (Rules for Radicals), you will find a very intelligent, very successful man with a very committed ideology but far from being the leader of his agenda. On a side note, Hillary Rodham Clinton is also a Saul Alinsky disciple.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:36 PM

298 posts, read 288,864 times
Quote:
But there is going to be a revolution ... starting October 6th
What's happening on october 6? Let's Google that, shall we.....

Ah!! The Ontario general election! Of course!

Or it it TechCrunch Vienna?

I have no buyer's remorse with Obama. I know better than to blame him for all America's problems, just as I know better than to expect him to cure every evil. I know he's a politician and it would be stupid to hold him to any other standard than that of one who has a very difficult job and must make a lot of compromises. Bottom line is he is a heck of a lot better than any of the competition, so far. I'll vote for him again. I just wish he'd take off the gloves.

Last edited by scottfreez; 09-10-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
What's happening on october 6? Let's Google that, shall we.....

Ah!! The Ontario general election! Of course!

Or it it TechCrunch Vienna?

I have no buyer's remorse with Obama. I know better than to blame him for all America's problems, just as I know better than to expect him to cure every evil. I know he's a politician and it would be stupid to hold him to any other standard than that of one who has a very difficult job and must make a lot of compromises. Bottom line is he is a heck of a lot better than any of the competition, so far. I'll vote for him again. I just wish he'd take off the gloves.
October 2011 | Human Needs, Not Corporate Greed

Stop The Machine!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:55 PM

18,593 posts, read 15,069,144 times
Quote:
You think Obama is just an inexperience naive politicians who just happened to stumble into the presidency?

No, if you study the man and his early history as community organizer, inspired by Saul Alinsky (Rules for Radicals), you will find a very intelligent, very successful man with a very committed ideology but far from being the leader of his agenda. On a side note, Hillary Rodham Clinton is also a Saul Alinsky disciple.
I see THINGS jumping out from shadows! I see conspiracy. Can the thought police be far behind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California