U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
DPK DPK started this thread
 
3,525 posts, read 3,812,543 times
Reputation: 4226

Advertisements

A bunch of us are going to be in Santa Clara for a week long conference in a few months. We were wondering what are some of the "must go", "must see", "must eat", and "must drink" places in the Santa Clara / San Francisco area?

Show some East coasters a good time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
Reputation: 26599
Santa Clara is significantly different than SF in terms of "scene" and Santa Clara is about 45 miles from SF, FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 AM
 
Location: US
17,878 posts, read 17,721,406 times
Reputation: 13863
yelp.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 AM
 
Location: A bit further north than before
1,583 posts, read 3,161,011 times
Reputation: 1291
You just asked the equivalent of "what's good to do in New Jersey?"
You're going to have to be a bit more specific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
DPK DPK started this thread
 
3,525 posts, read 3,812,543 times
Reputation: 4226
Like I said, we'll be in the area for about a week so even a 45 mile drive isn't a huge deal. The topic is Santa Clara or San Francisco. Even if they are different scenes, someone could make suggestions for one or the other.

We're a bunch of guys in our late 20's that aren't really club going types. We like great food, beer, and socializing in general where you can actually hear the person next to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:41 PM
 
954 posts, read 1,118,667 times
Reputation: 382
Well, the original Gordon Biersch in Palo Alto is pretty nice, in my opinion. There's also one in downtown San Jose that's quite nice as well. Good beer, pretty good food, nice ambiance, I like the patio at the one in San Jose.

The Fish Market is good, there's a location in Santa Clara.

Henry's Hi-Life in downtown San Jose is also pretty delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 PM
 
1,809 posts, read 3,759,683 times
Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Well, the original Gordon Biersch in Palo Alto is pretty nice, in my opinion. There's also one in downtown San Jose that's quite nice as well. Good beer, pretty good food, nice ambiance, I like the patio at the one in San Jose.
Palo Alto would be a cool location to hang out, but Gordon Biersch is just ok (in my opinion). I'd recommend going to the Yard House, which just opened in Santana Row. You have 100 beers on tap and better food than Gordon Biersch (I think). Also, there are a lot of places you could walk around in Santana Row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 01:04 AM
 
954 posts, read 1,118,667 times
Reputation: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Palo Alto would be a cool location to hang out, but Gordon Biersch is just ok (in my opinion). I'd recommend going to the Yard House, which just opened in Santana Row. You have 100 beers on tap and better food than Gordon Biersch (I think). Also, there are a lot of places you could walk around in Santana Row.
Well, I actually prefer the food and beer at Gordon Biersch (a very subjective subject), and while both of them are chains, Gordon Biersch did open it's first location in Palo Alto... Although, to be honest, neither of them have great food, you go for the beer.

On the subject of breweries, I was mightily unimpressed by Faultline - definitely only in business thanks to the business crowd, I suspect. Haven't been to the Los Gatos brewing company, yet...

Man, the topic of restaurants in the south bay does make me miss Santa Barbara...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 AM
 
1,809 posts, read 3,759,683 times
Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Well, I actually prefer the food and beer at Gordon Biersch (a very subjective subject), and while both of them are chains, Gordon Biersch did open it's first location in Palo Alto... Although, to be honest, neither of them have great food, you go for the beer.

On the subject of breweries, I was mightily unimpressed by Faultline - definitely only in business thanks to the business crowd, I suspect. Haven't been to the Los Gatos brewing company, yet...

Man, the topic of restaurants in the south bay does make me miss Santa Barbara...
Los Gatos brewing company is very good. I would say that its food is a bit more gourmet than any of the other places mentioned and their beer is pretty good too.

I also like the beer a lot at the Tied House, here in Mtn. View.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top