U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 AM

24,929 posts, read 31,778,737 times
Default 2 CA hikers held in Iran set to be freed on $500,000 bail

SORRY-I MEANT IRAN, not Iraq. Oops.

And the next time you wanna go hiking in barren wilderness, just drive to Nevada. LOL.

BBC News - Iran to free US hikers jailed for spying - Ahmadinejad

Seriously tho, I met Sarah Shourd shortly after she was released, at Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley. I ran into her in the lobby and I dont know her personally but I approached her to introduce myself and offer encouragement and we chatted for a few moments. I think it was because she was still in shock from that terrible ordeal, but she was extremely respectful, dare I say demure? She kept calling me sir and apologizing. She even had this thingy over her head. In hindsight I think part of it may have been because she knew the foreign press would be watching her and she didnt want to say or do anything that would get her 2 friends in trouble.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,466,918 times
More like 500K ransom.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM

20,147 posts, read 12,575,301 times
I say let them do the 8 years and save the money.

You can't fix stupid.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,142,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

You can't fix stupid.
If they were investment bankers I'd agree with you ... they (the bankers) got bailed out for going where they shouldn't oughtn't have done gone, and would do it again in a heartbeat -- they're still trying ... but these guys? Bet they don't go hiking where they shouldn't again. That's the difference between hiker bad boys and banker bad boys.

Teddy says bail 'em and then send Ahmadinejad a nice thank you card -- via USPS.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM

24,929 posts, read 31,778,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
If they were investment bankers I'd agree with you.
LOL at this zinger. +1

Yeah, there are billionaires and investment bankers at Goldman Sachs et al, who personally got much more than 500K from those bailouts which amounted to billions that to this day remain largely unaccounted for.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
If they were investment bankers I'd agree with you ... they (the bankers) got bailed out for going where they shouldn't oughtn't have done gone, and would do it again in a heartbeat -- they're still trying ... but these guys? Bet they don't go hiking where they shouldn't again. That's the difference between hiker bad boys and banker bad boys.

Teddy says bail 'em and then send Ahmadinejad a nice thank you card -- via USPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL at this zinger. +1

Yeah, there are billionaires and investment bankers at Goldman Sachs et al, who personally got much more than 500K from those bailouts which amounted to billions that to this day remain largely unaccounted for.

While agree with you on the investment bankers. Both are separate issues.

Back to the OP: These Hikers were about as dumb as a box of rocks. You want to go playing along the border Iran without their permission as a civilian, then you get whatever is coming to you.

Like there isn't tens of millions of square miles of wild country they couldn't have picked to go hiking that isn't being patrol by soldiers of a country like Iran.

I'd be more than happy to send Ahmadinejad a 50 mega ton care package and make some glass.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM

3,476 posts, read 8,906,375 times
Quote:

You can't fix stupid.
Next thing you know, they'll want to go hiking near the North Korean border.

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,142,147 times
Quote:
While agree with you on the investment bankers. Both are separate issues.
Yeah, but only together they make a better joke

Quote:
I'd be more than happy to send Ahmadinejad a 50 mega ton care package and make some glass.
Oh? A regular Dale Chihuly are you?
(Dale Chihuly - Artist - Home if you're not familiar)

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,870,312 times
Quote:
You can't fix stupid.
I agree. I can't imagine anybody so stupid as to go hiking along the border of a hostile country. Haven't they ever heard of the Himalayas or Peru? I could make a list of 100 of the most incredible places in the world that I wish I could visit, and never once worry about adding the border of a hostile country to my list.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but only together they make a better joke

Oh? A regular Dale Chihuly are you?
(Dale Chihuly - Artist - Home if you're not familiar)
No exactly the kind of glass I was talking about, but yes very nice art work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California