U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM

306 posts, read 272,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
A lot of people from Riverside say "rayg-u-lar" for regular.

I'm from there, but I don't say it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Never heard a Native Californian refer to California as "Cali." And as I previously stated. . ."everybody has an accent."
Exactly how am I suppose to abbreviate out of stater.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM

8,064 posts, read 10,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post

There are a few other differnces I notice from time to time, like the extra effort in the pronunciation of s, t, and r in some areas of Northern California. At least in the Sacramento area and over the border into Southern Oregon. Kind of like "center" is pronounced as SenT-er (with more louder stress in the first syllable) in the north and as "senter"in the central and southern areas of the state, both syllables lacking stress and no noticeable increase in volume in the pronunciation of S and T. I think some people don't even pronounce the T.
How about, san-TA Ma-RI-a ...

Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Never heard a Native Californian refer to California as "Cali." And as I previously stated. . ."everybody has an accent."
You must have never been here. NOR-CAL SO-CAL Central-CALI

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,849,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
How about, san-TA Ma-RI-a ...
Only if you roll that r.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM

22,271 posts, read 13,106,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Is there a California accent? I hope it sounds different from a Nevada or Arizona accent. Dont get me started.
I've learned a lot of Zonies have a definite Minnesota "you betcha" thing going. Little bit of the Canuk "eh?" at the end of sentences.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM

10,537 posts, read 14,059,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
born and raised in cali and never heard that accent in my life.
Well I should hope not since they speak Spanish in Columbia. I did finally meet someone that spent a couple years in Cali. He was born and raised here in Oxnard California and ended up moving to Cali Columbia for two years.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM

I work with a guy from Boston and he has an accent. About the only other accent we have that is noticable to me is in what language someone speaks. I always thought that we spoke normal and everyone else in the nation had an accent. LOL.

Something that we do have that may not be an issue in other parts of the nation is that many of our cities and street names are Spanish or Indian. For example I have a tendency to pronounce cities, streets or the like with a Spanish flair. Ojai Califonia has an H sound in it. The LL's in Camarillo are silent. From the Chumash we have Hueneme pronounced Wy-ne-me (Or: Why Knee Me.)

Maybe what we do have here is the intermixing of language to produce a unique flavor.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Well I should hope not since they speak Spanish in Columbia. I did finally meet someone that spent a couple years in Cali. He was born and raised here in Oxnard California and ended up moving to Cali Columbia for two years.
Oxnard doesn't know if it's so cal or central coast.Fresno is in central cal.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Your not a native are you?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Oxnard doesn't know if it's so cal or central coast.Fresno is in central cal.
Oxnard knows it is in Sounthern California end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California