U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 PM

10,209 posts, read 7,741,362 times

Advertisements

There is a thread in the Oklahoma forum where people are aguging that there are clear regional differences in the native accent on one hand and on the other that it sounds just like Texas and you can't tell the difference. So it's not just California that has variations or sameness, depending on the ear.

My new neighbor came from Fresno, and its quite nice talking to him since the accent is so familiar. Long before he said where he moved from I knew he was from california. It wasn't just the accent either but other less identifyable things, attitude and such as well. I wonder how much those intangables count in how we percieve 'accent', especially if its in person and we see the whole presentation of body language and speech.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,128,358 times
The word I have heard the most when traveling in the south to describe the way Californians speak is "proper." We don't have that lazy speech pattern that other regions have.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 AM

3,717 posts, read 7,091,257 times
Ok,

So I was talking with surfer friend, lets just call him the Bro Man or DuUude if you prefer. And he swears Californians including himself have no accent. And I must admit I had to chuckle because I recognize the CA surfer accent so much, especially after growing up at the beach in SoCal and then living other places/states, including inland areas of CA. There is a distinct surfer dude accent. I kid you not! In fact I think I had it as a young man. True confessions of a surfer duuDde alright. We used to joke about talking in Dude lingo man.

SoooUuu duudes check out this bodaciously funny video:

Funny Surfer Dude - YouTube

And the even funnier remixed version. Its like totally raAADdd with some insane tube time ridin' the bowl man!!

Get Pitted! A Surfer's Remix - YouTube

So Get Pitted!!!

Derek

Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 PM

8,029 posts, read 7,867,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
Being that im from the east coast, I have noticed a funny and very apparent California accent and I must say....I kinda like it.

it's like, uber kayute.

LOL!!!!!! I was born and raised in Central Calif and lived there for 23 years. My speech has not changed, but all my life people have asked me if I'm from "back east", or New York!

About a month ago this guy from NY came to our office and he asked me the same thing. He said he could "pick up something" in my accent. Another guy early this week, same thing.

And I've no clue what "it" is. My parents were from Europe, and my accent has to be a European-American accent.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:04 AM

2,796 posts, read 2,440,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Ok,

So I was talking with surfer friend, lets just call him the Bro Man or DuUude if you prefer. And he swears Californians including himself have no accent. And I must admit I had to chuckle because I recognize the CA surfer accent so much, especially after growing up at the beach in SoCal and then living other places/states, including inland areas of CA. There is a distinct surfer dude accent. I kid you not! In fact I think I had it as a young man. True confessions of a surfer duuDde alright. We used to joke about talking in Dude lingo man.

SoooUuu duudes check out this bodaciously funny video:

Funny Surfer Dude - YouTube

And the even funnier remixed version. Its like totally raAADdd with some insane tube time ridin' the bowl man!!

Get Pitted! A Surfer's Remix - YouTube

So Get Pitted!!!

Derek

hahahaha, love this dude's accent.

sounds like hes stoned or something lol

Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 AM

432 posts, read 672,512 times
so cal accents

Laguna Biotch - YouTube

Mad TV - Abercrombie Skits - YouTube

Spicoli's Surfer Dream Scene - Fast Times at Ridgemont High Movie (1982) - HD - YouTube

Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,058,237 times
This guy has a strong Coastal Southern Californian accent. Listen to how he says "To Uganda".

Mira Costa High School - YouTube

I'd say the general accent in this area by the people who were born and raised here is a monotone type of drawl with flat vowel sounds, and a Mexican influenced accent spoken by Chicanos.

African Americans speak in a more diluted form of AAVE.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM

2,297 posts, read 4,054,888 times
californians don't have an accent and we don't all talk like the californians on snl, which i love that skit though
i am from san diego and was in high school during all the valley girl commotion...i admit to being a val back in the day and when my husband joined the marine corps fresh out of high school (we got married a year after graduation) we were stationed at 29 palms and i had a good friend there that was from pensacola and she had a heavy southern accent but would just comment to me about how she loved the way i talked lol...thankfully i've outgrown val speak!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM

2,297 posts, read 4,054,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
The word I have heard the most when traveling in the south to describe the way Californians speak is "proper." We don't have that lazy speech pattern that other regions have.
wow, i wouldn't think that to be the case at all...proper? pshhh....i've never heard that one!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,556,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
californians don't have an accent and we don't all talk like the californians on snl, which i love that skit though
i am from san diego and was in high school during all the valley girl commotion...i admit to being a val back in the day and when my husband joined the marine corps fresh out of high school (we got married a year after graduation) we were stationed at 29 palms and i had a good friend there that was from pensacola and she had a heavy southern accent but would just comment to me about how she loved the way i talked lol...thankfully i've outgrown val speak!
Everyone has an accent. I'm not from California, and when I go there I notice I sound different from everyone else. Therefore, to me you all have an accent. No one thinks they have an accent, but everyone in the world does. And no, not all of California speaks new anchor 'American Standard" either, although it's not that far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California