Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM

49 posts, read 106,151 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm looking to move somewhere for warmer weather.

I'm not sure where I want to live in CA and I've come here to see your suggestions. here are the places I'm considering

1. Pasadena
2. Glendale
3. Outside of Berkeley
4. South Beach in San Fran
5. San Diego
6. Long Beach
7. La Jolla

I grew up in a suburb of Seattle. I hate the cold. I need sun, and 70+ degrees for most of the year. I know that florida is 70 year round, but I'm not sure I want to live there. I have been to florida

I would like to live somewhere that is clean and well kept, I'm talking not about an apartment, I'm talking about the outdoors, shopping centers, etc.

I can't stand snow, rain or any cold weather. I don't like extreme heat either, it gets a little rough when it hits 90 degrees.

I'm 21, female, petite, kinda shy, I don't drink (have never tasted alcohol), don't party, I'm a mature girl. I work for Whole Foods.

I make $20,000 a year. Just about. I live in a town home with a roommate here in Washington. And I plan to live this way in CA, or to find a real cheap studio.

I like to surf. I like movies, theater, museums, bowling, golf, exercise, cooking, baking, photography, and cinematography.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,619 times
I imagine that SoCal will suit you best since weather is so important to you.
It won't be as rainy as Seattle but the S.F. Bay area won't satisfy your climate criteria.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,581,870 times
Florida is not 70F all year round. I live in Miami and has already dropped down in the high 30's, like this past winter. Iguanas were dropping out of the trees all over the place.

Also think you will find it rough living in many areas where Whole Foods are on $20,000 a year. Since Whole Foods predominately sets up shop in areas of higher wealth which = high rent at least from my perspective. Maybe if you room with other people.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,814,234 times
I would take a look at Glendale, Eagle Rock, Atwater Village, and Pasadena. They're all pretty warm, scenic, and have decent amenities for 20-somethings.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM

49 posts, read 134,776 times
they will open an Whole Food store in my area: Folsom (20 min from Sacramento).
College is right across if you consider also going back to school.We have theatres,golf courses...a big lake

I live nearby Folsom, in El Dorado Hill-very nice area. 1-2 months we'll have 90 but is not that bad when you have AC.
Just a little bit of rain in winter and spring, no snow.

I lived 15 yrs in So California and I don't regret moving up here.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebadu View Post
they will open an Whole Food store in my area: Folsom (20 min from Sacramento).
College is right across if you consider also going back to school.We have theatres,golf courses...a big lake

I live nearby Folsom, in El Dorado Hill-very nice area. 1-2 months we'll have 90 but is not that bad when you have AC.
Just a little bit of rain in winter and spring, no snow.

I lived 15 yrs in So California and I don't regret moving up here.
The summers are unbearably hot and the air quality is horrible.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM

38,619 posts, read 22,612,889 times
For someone in your age group, you might want to consider the Belmont Shore neighborhood in Long Beach. It's very youth-oriented and Second Street is very walkable with lots of shops and restaurants. There happens to be a Whole Foods store in the area too. I'm not sure what the salary is for this area to work at Whole Foods, but I think you'll need to live with a roommate.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,349,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
I need sun, and 70+ degrees for most of the year.
Vista California used to be known as "Climate Wonderland" - and the reason is because it has more days that are 70 degrees than anywhere else in the United States. I doubt Vista is going to fit your needs in other ways, but the key thing to know is that it's about 8 to 10 miles inland - so you get more sunny days, and it's a little warmer than right on the ocean.

If you look about 10 miles inland, anywhere in Southern California, you'll get the weather you want. If you choose to live right on the coast, then be prepared for the months of May Gray and June Gloom. If you choose to live further inland, then be prepared for fewer 70 degree days, and more 80, 90, and 100 degree days - which are fine too - but just be prepared!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 PM

73 posts, read 245,621 times
Most of the places you mention are quite expensive. You may very well be looking at sharing a bedroom with at least one other girl. When I worked in Pacific Beach one spring thru fall, most places even rented out the living room as a bedroom. It's fine if you aren't home much. Look on CL for roommate situations in each of the areas you are considering. I am from western WA and understand you being tired of the rain. I now live in SoCal and miss WA. When you're looking at a place to live, it isn't always the weather that is the most important thing to consider. You are young though, so this is a chance for a grand adventure. Just do your homework like you are. And be safe. Your mom will appreciate that!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM

49 posts, read 106,151 times
being by the coast is important to me, but i don't think i can afford that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California