U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 620 times

Advertisements

Depends on what part of LA. If in Downtown, it’s easily the fastest pace of the 3. If you’re in a beachside community in LA (i.e. Playa Del Rey) it’s equal to Downtown San Diego in pace or a busier harbor or beach part of San Diego, but if you’re in a nearby LA County beachside area that has a more remote feel or laid-back vibe (i.e. Malibu, Avalon) it’s as slow-paced as its counterparts in SD (i.e. Coronado). Anywhere beachside in LA or SD is substantially slower-paced & more laid-back than anywhere in SF. Hollywood & Westside are equal-paced and in parts faster-paced than general SF. Anywhere else inland in LA or LA County and for the most part you could almost be anywhere else in the US & so pretty fast-paced but if you’re in a semi-rural part of LA County, like Calabasas or San Dimas, or live in mountains, stay put too long and you might get a mind numbing syndrome from slowness.

So basically LA has some of everything so it’s too hard to define, but at its slowest it’s as relaxing as SD and at its fastest even faster than SF. One could think of it as a transition that’s a really mixed bag. It’s got the influences of settlers of yore from other states & in an area very geographically diverse, but with all the subtropical aspects of SD present. The influences can be said about SF too, and international influences to both SF and LA, with the subtropical stuff applying to LA & SD, and the Spanish-colonial-Mexican historical cultural mark applies to all 3.

Source: Lived forever in LA area, visited SD & SF before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,298,423 times
Arvin's rocking 24/7.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM

1,732 posts, read 3,972,921 times
I think all of California's Metro's are fast paced,but out of all 3 it's probably San Diego that can be more laid back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
Which is the most fast paced city in California: San Francisco, Los Angeles, or San Diego?

Do you consider San Diego a fast paced city? why or why not?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 PM

1,732 posts, read 3,972,921 times
LOL...I can probably say over 90% of Californian's do not know where Arvin is or even name most of the small towns in the Central Valley as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Arvin's rocking 24/7.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 AM

3,031 posts, read 1,774,579 times
La

Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM

2,701 posts, read 3,744,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageOwl View Post
Depends on what part of LA. If in Downtown, it’s easily the fastest pace of the 3. If you’re in a beachside community in LA (i.e. Playa Del Rey) it’s equal to Downtown San Diego in pace or a busier harbor or beach part of San Diego, but if you’re in a nearby LA County beachside area that has a more remote feel or laid-back vibe (i.e. Malibu, Avalon) it’s as slow-paced as its counterparts in SD (i.e. Coronado). Anywhere beachside in LA or SD is substantially slower-paced & more laid-back than anywhere in SF. Hollywood & Westside are equal-paced and in parts faster-paced than general SF. Anywhere else inland in LA or LA County and for the most part you could almost be anywhere else in the US & so pretty fast-paced but if you’re in a semi-rural part of LA County, like Calabasas or San Dimas, or live in mountains, stay put too long and you might get a mind numbing syndrome from slowness.

So basically LA has some of everything so it’s too hard to define, but at its slowest it’s as relaxing as SD and at its fastest even faster than SF. One could think of it as a transition that’s a really mixed bag. It’s got the influences of settlers of yore from other states & in an area very geographically diverse, but with all the subtropical aspects of SD present. The influences can be said about SF too, and international influences to both SF and LA, with the subtropical stuff applying to LA & SD, and the Spanish-colonial-Mexican historical cultural mark applies to all 3.

Source: Lived forever in LA area, visited SD & SF before.
Sure, if you go into Malibu or Calabasas, then it'll be a different pace, but I think the point of the question was just each of the big cities. You can go fine minutes out of SF into Sausalito, for example, or drive to Sonoma, and have a totally relaxed pace too. Every city has quiet suburbs and countryside.

I would still day SF is the most bustling in its financial center of the three, but LA's adjacent neighborhoods are generally busier than those in SF. SF is more dense overall, but it's smaller.

I've heard comparisons between SF and Boston in the past, but I believe Boston hasn't kept up with SF's building boom and has a much more modest cityscape by comparison these days. Also, it's my understanding that Boston is full of chill, friendly locals, whereas SF has gotten much more competitive and materialistic, reflecting a more intense rat race.

The subtropical, warmer climate is for sure more pronounced in LA and SD, but the subtropical vegetation certainly extends even into SF with its many palms and exotics, which still add a certain air of relaxation that East Coast cities lack. Fun fact: SF has never been colder than SD!

Old 01-25-2019, 04:11 PM

4,871 posts, read 6,262,353 times
SF is more like Philly than Boston in terms of bustle, but the Bay Area and the Hub have a lot of similarities.

And downtown LA being more fast paced than SF is a joke.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
SF is more like Philly than Boston in terms of bustle, but the Bay Area and the Hub have a lot of similarities.

And downtown LA being more fast paced than SF is a joke.
I suggest actually spending time in Downtown LA rather than jumping to SF-defensive & stereotypical conclusions. Downtown LA is, and always has been, extremely different from the rest of LA. I can see possibly at least being equally fast-paced to SF but definitely not slower. I mean for goodness sake its constant pedestrian traffic necessitates its existence of horseback mounted sidewalk police, subway lines, Metro electric bikes, and in spite of all that the numerous streets have bumper-to-bumper traffic. The fact that there are so many neighborhoods with buildings in use going back to the late-1800’s (even a street from the 1700’s, Olvera Street) & even all the way up to new dynamic high rises alone contradicts the stereotype of LA not having history. I’m irked by SF & NY people who cling only to stereotypes they see in movies & TV with people practicing yoga on the beach & use that image to belittle it on forums like these. Yeah, I’m triggered, alright? Ya don’t screw around with me like that, I’ve got an Italian temper. Capisci?

But on that note, regarding the city of LA proper here goes my breakdown in order of fastest paced to slowest paced: Downtown, Westside - Los Feliz, Hollywood, then coastal. SD imho can align with the slower & moderately paced parts of LA, and SF about the faster to moderate parts, but the Bay Area can approach the other 2 almost in slowness.

True SF has subtropical elements too, it’s just not as strong as, say, driving PCH in the land that gave us The Beach Boys and bringing & exposing surfing to the rest of the world after Duke Kahanamoku brought it from Oahu & resided in the coastal LA area in the 1910’s (well technically Huntington Beach (North OC) “Surf City” but he frequently visited & taught surfing in Malibu in LA County, so if one wants to nitpick a lot he had to drive THROUGH the city of LA to get to neighboring Malibu, then in the ‘50s & ‘60s real life Gidget & her movies & then the beach party movies plus Hawaiian-influenced surf music made it even bigger & more iconic as such.)

Last edited by SavageOwl; 01-25-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 04:39 PM

4,871 posts, read 6,262,353 times
I've spent plenty of time in Downtown LA. Skid row is the first thing that comes to mind, but maybe I'm missing something besides lofts, government buildings, and the Disney opera house.

Admittedly, I haven't been there since the Lakers got Lebron, but maybe the Staples Center is your definition of bustling.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 AM

15,615 posts, read 14,886,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I've spent plenty of time in Downtown LA. Skid row is the first thing that comes to mind, but maybe I'm missing something besides lofts, government buildings, and the Disney opera house.

Admittedly, I haven't been there since the Lakers got Lebron, but maybe the Staples Center is your definition of bustling.
Obviously you're not from L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or