U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,861,000 times

Advertisements

What are some similarities and differences between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 PM

954 posts, read 1,118,528 times
Santa Barbara is bigger, richer, sunnier, and much closer to L.A.

San Luis Obispo is definitely central coast, I'd say Santa Barbara is where Southern California begins.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 17,604 times
Santa Barbara has a Macy's

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

3,138 posts, read 6,907,515 times
Sanat Barbara is one of the nicest places you will ever see in your life. I've been to all continents, all 50 states and every major city in Asia and Europe.

Santa Barbara stacks up favorably to ANY place in the world.

San Luis Obispo does not.

That's basically it.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:25 PM

230 posts, read 536,884 times
Okay, I'm posting on thread that's a few months old, but thought if the original poster comes back, or if someone else wants to know about the difference between the two, I can offer more than a sentence or two, having lived in the area for many years.

Santa Barbara: Breathtaking beauty. There is a reason why so many celebrities own homes there; it's gorgeous. The weather is rated #1 in the nation, consistently. the beautiful original architecture, mixed with a City that kept that aesthetic, makes it visually appealing. The beaches are clean, and fun. It definitely has a European city vibe, and landscape. Lots to do there, but not on the level of a City, if you're used to cultural amenities or 3am delis. There is a homeless issue, as with most cities of that size, especially in warmer climates. Traffic can be nasty, and to me it sometimes feels a bit claustrophobic on State Street. Most everyone I've met who lives there, loves it. It's expensive to live there. I mean Expensive... but if you can make a living there, it's pretty amazing. And you're within a few hours from L.A. if you have things you'd like to do there.

San Luis Obispo and surrounding towns: Less than 2 hours away, also a coastal area. I'm including the entire Central Coast area in this, as the County tends to blend from town to town. San Luis Obispo proper, has some of the vintage architecture downtown, though much of it is being replaced with faux Spanish storefronts. The downtown is sweet, with tons of restaurants and bars, as well as some cool little shops. More national stores have moved into the downtown, making it more active for shopping. The home prices and rents are not quite as expensive as Santa Barbara or the Bay Area, but they're still above many other places. Though I've noticed that the rents everywhere across the Country are ridiculous now. In SLO County, you are paying for the weather (#2 in the nation!) and the lifestyle. It's a great mix of beach, local arts, wineries, and rural. The diversity of experiences there, is what makes it fun. The pace is slower in SLO, and there is less ostentation there. The students at Cal Poly make a huge impact on San Luis Obispo proper, which is not always a great thing.

Either area offers a great quality of life, if you like a beachy but varied experience. The weather is similar, but I do think that Santa Barbara beaches are generally warmer and sunnier. I would also consider Ventura, to the south of Santa Barbara. I've lived there, and absolutely loved it and preferred it to Santa Barbara because of the slower pace, and agriculture.

Last edited by trixie09; 12-31-2011 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
I think Ventura has a very interesting downtown area. I love the little shops, the alleyways w/ shops, the cafes and all the eclectic shopping. Plus you are only miles away from SB, or the beaches are right there. San Luis Obispo sounds a little better than it did in the 70's, it was always pretty laid back there, more bohemian. It was where you went when you went to the beach from the valley, Pismo Beach.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM

7,379 posts, read 13,296,680 times
Is there even a Nordstrom in SLO?

+1 Santa Barbara.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,329,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Is there even a Nordstrom in SLO?

+1 Santa Barbara.
I dont know! But does Santa Barbara have a Bubble Gum Alley??

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 AM

7,379 posts, read 13,296,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I dont know! But does Santa Barbara have a Bubble Gum Alley??
I'll start one.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 AM

4,832 posts, read 10,861,000 times
SLO is much more rural, and a little more conservative. Less jobs in SLO. SLO has four big box shopping centers and their downtown for shopping. There is a Costco in SLO and heard Whole Foods will be looking to open in downtown soon. Already a Trader Joes and Fresh and Easy in SLO. Cal Poly SLO is smaller than UCSB. SLO is also more White than SB. Less traffic in SLO. SLO has more hiking trails and mountains than SB.

Santa Barbara has two outdoor malls, some gangs, more jobs, a larger downtown by building height and span, and also has more tourist attractions like the zoo and the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or