U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM

16 posts, read 20,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Has anyone heard of Wikipedia? It's like an encyclopedia, but online, and FREE! Check it out.
yeah, well, I just thought it strange that no one here mentions it to people here who haven't yet been to Ca.

I could say some unkind things to some of the regulars on this forum, but I'll be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,426,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilji1 View Post
yeah, well, I just thought it strange that no one here mentions it to people here who haven't yet been to Ca.

I could say some unkind things to some of the regulars on this forum, but I'll be nice.
Just ignore the Einstein wannabes. A lot of people might have heard about it but don't think to use it for anything useful. I've made several relocation scouting trips in NoCal and Washington over the past few years. Sometimes we make it a vacation and have family/friends accompany us. I frequently hear my guests ask "how did you find these neighborhoods?" When I tell them that I scour an area using Street View first, they always say "I never thought of that", and nobody has ever said "oh, duh."

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM

1,522 posts, read 1,711,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Hey did you hear..the internets is on computers now!
Tubes!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,831,547 times
StreetView imagery used to be really blurry and more of a novelty than anything else. Now that they have implemented the high-res StreetView, it's much more useful than it was before. The coverage is very comprehensive now too. You can practically walk the streets of Paris without leaving your PC.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,373,606 times
Disclaimer*-Walking the streets of Rome on your computer in Wyoming, not the same as walking it in Rome. Until I get a bigger monitor, the Colosseum looks extremely small.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM

821 posts, read 652,408 times
How current is Google Earth? The picture of my house on Google Maps clearly shows the pile of rocks on the driveway that was there for a week almost 3 years ago. I keep waiting for a new picture to show up.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,426,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
How current is Google Earth? The picture of my house on Google Maps clearly shows the pile of rocks on the driveway that was there for a week almost 3 years ago. I keep waiting for a new picture to show up.
Depends on the area. I was checking out a popular area of LA just yesterday and saw a billboard for the Cars 2 movie. My street hasn't been updated in a few years.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 20,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Just ignore the Einstein wannabes. A lot of people might have heard about it but don't think to use it for anything useful. I've made several relocation scouting trips in NoCal and Washington over the past few years. Sometimes we make it a vacation and have family/friends accompany us. I frequently hear my guests ask "how did you find these neighborhoods?" When I tell them that I scour an area using Street View first, they always say "I never thought of that", and nobody has ever said "oh, duh."
I know, right? I used it briefly two years ago, but not for relocating or anything. When I started recently using it for the Sac area, it was really helpful in letting me know what the area I was considering moving to actually looks like. When people on the forums mention there's a lot of crime in Sac, you don't want to be stuck living in bad area, for one thing, though of course crime's everywhere.

It's fun exploring Midtown, too. As people have said good things about it's personality, etc.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,831,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Disclaimer*-Walking the streets of Rome on your computer in Wyoming, not the same as walking it in Rome. Until I get a bigger monitor, the Colosseum looks extremely small.
LOL, very true. It is the next best thing though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California