Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times

Advertisements

If this has been posted before, please forgive me and pray for me. It didn't show up in a quick search.

Get a load of that map. Now, bring on the out-of-state naysayers and fault-finders.

U.S. State Science Standards Are “Mediocre to Awful” | Budding Scientist, Scientific American Blog Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If this has been posted before, please forgive me and pray for me. It didn't show up in a quick search.

Get a load of that map. Now, bring on the out-of-state naysayers and fault-finders.

U.S. State Science Standards Are “Mediocre to Awful” | Budding Scientist, Scientific American Blog Network
This was funny: What exactly is going wrong? The study’s lead authors identified four main factors: an undermining of evolution, vague goals, not enough guidance for teachers on how to integrate the history of science and the concept of scientific inquiry into their lessons, and not enough math instruction.

Hard to teach Evolution AND teach the concept of scientific inquiry. Mutually contradictory.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post

Hard to teach Evolution AND teach the concept of scientific inquiry. Mutually contradictory.
I would think those to concepts are consistent when compared with creationism and scientific inquiry.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Judging by some of my past debates on here regarding scientific stuff, don't expect too many people to actually know what they're talking about, especially if it's biology. Most people don't know squat about science so let the naysayers entertain.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM

It's already started. Where's that popcorn animated gif?

Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Judging by some of my past debates on here regarding scientific stuff, don't expect too many people to actually know what they're talking about, especially if it's biology. Most people don't know squat about science so let the naysayers entertain.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The ranking in the start of this post, is whether the state has standards that say evolution is the important standard of how schools rank for science teaching. A very narrow way of looking at how well a state's school teach science. That is only a very narrow interpretation of how science is taught in schools.

California is doing so great, they are 39th in high school graduation which shows a big drop out rate with almost 30% of kids dropping out of high school.

The Rankings - United Health Foundation

And when they rate a state for quality of education California is 30th, which is a long way from the top.

Report Card on American Education | ALEC – American Legislative Exchange Council

Only 46% of California students score proficient by the 3rd grade. In other words, less than half the students even meet minimum standards for being educated.

Profile for California (State) - California - KIDS COUNT Data Center

I went to school, and my children went to school all in California back when California had an education system to be proud of. It is sad, to see the changes that have taken place.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Hey mom, the usual suspects have shown up! *chomp chomp*

Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Hey mom, the usual suspects have shown up! *chomp chomp*
Chomp Chomp...You got what you asked for

U.S. Students Still Lag Behind Foreign Peers, Schools Make Little Progress In Improving Achievement

Americans just are not majoring in STEM degrees. There has been a decrease in foreign students in the STEM degrees since the VISA requirements have changed for international students after 911. I know throughout my science degree I was a minority in my major science courses.

Glad to see this trend is changing! Go ladies!

U.S. Science Degrees Are Up: Scientific American

Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Let me put this right here.

http://www.edexcellencemedia.net/pub...California.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California