U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,806,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Way off topic, but I can't resist. Amidst all this political/economic argumentation, here is a statement that is refreshing and which everyone should be able to wholeheartedly agree with. It expresses something which I believe is a fundamental directive of life: NEVER stop learning.

Even as you get older and perhaps more intellectually feeble, there are things that can be learned (my dearly departed mother in her 80's did a challenging crossword puzzle every day). I very much admire and respect you for having this attitude.

I recently retired from a 40 year academic career, teaching mathematics and computer science at the college and graduate levels. One of my avocations is Physics, which IMO gets at the heart of how the universe works.

I once got in a friendly argument with my Dean (and boss) who was a humanities person (whom I greatly respected). I told her "If you want to get close to God, study Physics." She argued that Music, Art, and Literature were the paths to the divine. Of course, all human intellectual endeavor somehow reflects the Consciousness that created the Universe (my students once anonymously posted a sign on my office door with the words "Philosophical Fountain", which I took as the ultimate accolade).

Anyway, one of my retirement projects is to slog my way through a text on Quantum Physics. It's very stimulating and much fun (though sometimes frustrating because the math ain't easy). Our mutual interest in this topic makes us kindred souls (absolutely regardless of our political views) and I wish you much luck in this intellectual pursuit.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say this.
To adaptively paraphrase a line from one of Chuang tzu's great parables: "Where would the divine go that you would need a path to it?"

In the actual translation, the story is that of a 'seeker of the Tao' who asks a sage where he might look (for the Tao) -- to which the sage responds: "Where would [the Tao] go that one could not find it?"

Not to disrespect your enjoyment of quantum physics, but I don't believe you have to go there to find God, or the Tao ... but here's to distracting and enjoying yourself toying with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Meanwhile the Bush tax cuts have created billions of jobs in the last 10 years.
Your post makes so much sense if you ignore the fallout for the subprime loans. But hey, nice try! Oh, and they're actually the Obama tax cuts now, he pushed for their renewal, he owns them now.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,889,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Way off topic, but I can't resist. Amidst all this political/economic argumentation, here is a statement that is refreshing and which everyone should be able to wholeheartedly agree with. It expresses something which I believe is a fundamental directive of life: NEVER stop learning.

Even as you get older and perhaps more intellectually feeble, there are things that can be learned (my dearly departed mother in her 80's did a challenging crossword puzzle every day). I very much admire and respect you for having this attitude.

I recently retired from a 40 year academic career, teaching mathematics and computer science at the college and graduate levels. One of my avocations is Physics, which IMO gets at the heart of how the universe works.

I once got in a friendly argument with my Dean (and boss) who was a humanities person (whom I greatly respected). I told her "If you want to get close to God, study Physics." She argued that Music, Art, and Literature were the paths to the divine. Of course, all human intellectual endeavor somehow reflects the Consciousness that created the Universe (my students once anonymously posted a sign on my office door with the words "Philosophical Fountain", which I took as the ultimate accolade).

Anyway, one of my retirement projects is to slog my way through a text on Quantum Physics. It's very stimulating and much fun (though sometimes frustrating because the math ain't easy). Our mutual interest in this topic makes us kindred souls (absolutely regardless of our political views) and I wish you much luck in this intellectual pursuit.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say this.
You're very welcome.. It is an endless area of study and satisfaction .. The math can be daunting but every now and again, a good lecturer breaks things down .. If you have not watched it yet, you might enjoy the Feinman lecture series :
Microsoft has a free video link but you have to install silverlight :
Project Tuva: Enhanced Video Player Home - Microsoft Research

Here is the start of that Stanford lecture series :

Lecture 1 | Modern Physics: Quantum Mechanics (Stanford) - YouTube

A new exciting finding :
Particles found to break speed of light | Reuters

This was just released today too :
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2011/09/22/brain-movies/
:-D oh man ..

Gawd I'd love to work @ CERN/ITER ... I have nerdgasms just thinking about !

K, i'm calm now ^_^ .. But yeah, i share a joy with just learning new things... As much as a lot of my time is spent on a financial future .. It's sort of so I can provide for my family while being tucked away in a nerd dungeon packing my brain full of goodies Cheers .. If you haven't seen the Feinman lectures yet, you're in for a treat. Something tells me you have and have already shown it to others though

Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
To adaptively paraphrase a line from one of Chuang tzu's great parables: "Where would the divine go that you would need a path to it?"

In the actual translation, the story is that of a 'seeker of the Tao' who asks a sage where he might look (for the Tao) -- to which the sage responds: "Where would [the Tao] go that one could not find it?"

Not to disrespect your enjoyment of quantum physics, but I don't believe you have to go there to find God, or the Tao ... but here's to distracting and enjoying yourself toying with it.
All knowledge and understanding leads to higher awareness and connectedness no nullgeo? Could be literary .. scientific .. Seeing connections between multiple disciplines/things .. is the ultimate form of knowledge i would think as you get at the building blocks for which many things are made of ...

I dunno .. I am definitely not of the school of thought that understanding things about the world in an ever increasing fashion is bad.. The beauty in it all ..

Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,806,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
All knowledge and understanding leads to higher awareness and connectedness no nullgeo? Could be literary .. scientific .. Seeing connections between multiple disciplines/things .. is the ultimate form of knowledge i would think as you get at the building blocks for which many things are made of ...

I dunno .. I am definitely not of the school of thought that understanding things about the world in an ever increasing fashion is bad.. The beauty in it all ..
"To attain knowledge, add things every day; to attain wisdom, subtract things every day." Lao Tzu

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
"To attain knowledge, add things every day; to attain wisdom, subtract things every day." Lao Tzu
Now now nullgeo ... .. I covered that : " Seeing connections between multiple disciplines/things .. is the ultimate form of knowledge i would think as you get at the building blocks for which many things are made of ... "

and there was no need to quote a dead ancient chinese person ..

Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Go for it .. I never intended to buy an insanely valued home here anyway... IMO that's the ultimate 'trap' move regarding this state.
Repeal prop13 and you'd see home prices plummet even more.

Still, this state is plagued w/ spending problems..
You can shuffle all the chairs you want. The core issue is spending. Until you get that under control, playing revenue games isn't going to really help you much. (guess Washington is taking a page from Calif's book.. much to the detriment of the broad based country)

Paradise lost.
Every decline in home prices is a disaster for business and especially government... right now, many homes are selling for below replacement cost... materials cost for the large part continue to rise and permit and hook-up fees have sky-rocketed in my area...

It's just like the increase in MPG for cars... as soon as people were diving more efficient vehicles... tax revenue suffered.

It's just like those of us that started to conserve water under rationing... rationing lifted and household consumption is still low and now water company raises rates to make up for revenue shortfall.

Every action has at least one intended consequence and many unintended.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times
Great vid....Elizabeth Warren is awesome. I wish she would run for office in CA.
Elizabeth Warren's 'kick-ass' class warfare rebuttal - The Week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or