Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

I keep trying to rep you, but since I frequently rep you, I was unable to. The whole idea of taking care of the poor and oppressed seems pretty limited in the Protestant tradition. Those suburban mega churches like writing checks, but not getting their hands dirty.

The Mexican Protestant Iglesias in our area have a tradition I support, on any Sunday you can drive around to the various Santa Maria Style barbecue grills set up in parking lots, they cook beef and chicken, we buy and enjoy, and support them at the same time.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM

213 posts, read 404,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What the heck is this misapprehension that Eastern CA does not have liberals, but heck, what do I know I only lived in Eastern CA for 40 years.

The Midwest too has its share of liberals, and as for the South, visit Atlanta, or Asheville for just two.

Christians prefer to be around Christians because they do not want annoying questions from the "other".
Yeah, it's kind of funny the idea that there are no liberals in places that you think of as very conservative.

I live in (gasp!) Alabama. In my middle-class neighborhood in Birmingham I am surrounded by liberal thinking progressives. During the 08 election, the neighborhood was filled with Obama signs (far outnumbering the McCain signs). Jefferson County was one of the few counties in Alabama that went majority for Obama.

Many vehicles sport the bumper sticker declaring a "blue dot in a sea of red", and of the 20 houses on our little street, 8 are occupied by openly gay singles or couples. Others are occupied by Bible loving, evangelical Christians, but we all get along fine and look out for each other. Proving, of course, that our common humanity far outweighs our religious and political differences.

If you want to come to a bastion of tolerance and understanding, come visit my neighborhood in Alabama.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
If the OP has a problem with Hispanics, California probably isn't the state for him. It's a very diverse state and Caucasians are the minority now. I've never quite understood the whole, "I don't like someone who isn't like me," idea. Diversity is interesting and educational. JMO

Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
If you want to come to a bastion of tolerance and understanding, come visit my neighborhood in Alabama.
Indeed, or visit my neighborhood in Colorado Springs, another region not famous for its "tolerant" attitudes. The trend that we all live in little islands of uniform thought/demographics is unfortunate. My family enjoys our Christian Conservative friends, our Christian Progressive friends, our Mormon friends, our Jewish friends, our Secular friends (both conservative and progressive), etc., etc. To limit our friends and neighbors to just one of the above groups would be depressing and self-defeating.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I read this thread with amusement. Just wondering? Does the op believe that God created all the white people and no one else? Does the op believe that being a good Christian means avoiding those that are not like the OP? Do churches teach that? Wonder what the op thinks of Jews. Does the op know that Jesus was King of the Jews? If the Romans had not controlled the area Jesus own lineage from his mom and also his dad would have placed him in line or close to it to rule over the Jewish people. So much history in the Bible and the OP fails to realize that we are all related. we all come from Adam and Eve. I am assuming that the OP believes the Bible to be the word of God. If the OP takes the Bible as Gods word then maybe a review is in order.

It seems that the Christian thing to do would be to remember that all of us are God's children and the shade of our skin has nothing to do with how God looks at us.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
So called "Christian Identity" groups. At the most perverted end of that spectrum there are groups who believe that today's Jews are not the "real Jews" and that the "real Jews" are the British / Anglo Saxons. Pretty crazy stuff.
Like Herbert W. Armstrong of Pasadena's Worldwide Church of God, which popularized Christian Identity.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM

224 posts, read 347,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipton Mike View Post
I'm down to Orange County & Some Area's of San Diego County?

Also Thank you all for the PM's voicing support letting me know about how much of an Moderator cut: racist. I now know. There was also no reason for my thread to be locked, when I see other races asking for the same thing!
WHY are you moving to California?

My advise would be to move to Oklahoma, Kentucky or West Virginia.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM

158 posts, read 332,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah5 View Post
WHY are you moving to California?

My advise would be to move to Oklahoma, Kentucky or West Virginia.
Well the OP might be surprised to find out we have Liberals in Oklahoma also, though most probably live in Tulsa like I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I read this thread with amusement. Just wondering? Does the op believe that God created all the white people and no one else? Does the op believe that being a good Christian means avoiding those that are not like the OP? Do churches teach that? Wonder what the op thinks of Jews. Does the op know that Jesus was King of the Jews? If the Romans had not controlled the area Jesus own lineage from his mom and also his dad would have placed him in line or close to it to rule over the Jewish people. So much history in the Bible and the OP fails to realize that we are all related. we all come from Adam and Eve. I am assuming that the OP believes the Bible to be the word of God. If the OP takes the Bible as Gods word then maybe a review is in order.

It seems that the Christian thing to do would be to remember that all of us are God's children and the shade of our skin has nothing to do with how God looks at us.
And supposed to made in his image and likeness. So perhaps the OP is a different kind of Christian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Yeah, it's kind of funny the idea that there are no liberals in places that you think of as very conservative.

I live in (gasp!) Alabama. In my middle-class neighborhood in Birmingham I am surrounded by liberal thinking progressives. During the 08 election, the neighborhood was filled with Obama signs (far outnumbering the McCain signs). Jefferson County was one of the few counties in Alabama that went majority for Obama.

Many vehicles sport the bumper sticker declaring a "blue dot in a sea of red", and of the 20 houses on our little street, 8 are occupied by openly gay singles or couples. Others are occupied by Bible loving, evangelical Christians, but we all get along fine and look out for each other. Proving, of course, that our common humanity far outweighs our religious and political differences.

Oklahoman Will Rogers was fond of saying “I don't belong to an organized political party; I am a Democrat.”

I was the only one on my street with an Obama sign, but there were quite a number around the city here in Tulsa. Of course some of the rowdy rednecks too 'em down, destroyed some and made a fuss, but at the end of it all, us Liberal Democrats in these here places stuck to our guns (so to speak), and we manage alright.

I am surrounded by holy rollers, conservatives and ultra conservatives, but we find common ground and we get along somehow. I think it has a lot to do with me ignoring their ignorant comments and looking for the good in everyone.

To the OP and others who get their knickers in a wad, in general, I have found liberal minded people to be more tolerant than conservative minded people...I did say in general, so don't go crazy here

Boy, I sure miss that panty thread!!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 AM

282 posts, read 618,402 times
When you hate Bush & Obama equally, you will be on the road to enlightenment

Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM

62 posts, read 271,354 times
I'm sorry that I missed all this but can anyone tell me where nice open minded, caring people might live, Christian or not? We're down to Clovis again. I love the country there, having "looked" all around in GoogleEarth. We're looking for places that also embrace other religions and beliefs and other cultures. Like Unity, Religious Science, Unitarian type churches as well. People involved in the community and who believe in equality. Just generally nice, accepting, tolerant family oriented people. Clovis has Great schools, now if they aren't all major Bible freaks who think there is only ONE "right" way and everyone else is "wrong" it might work out. I want to live there forever, is that too much to ask? I'm sick of living around intolerant, one sided people who only look out for their "own" kind. Where's the Love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California