U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,100,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, my ancestors have been on this dang planet for -- well, er -- uh -- a long long time ... and, dang it! I want some recognition!

So far, I'm enjoying a lot of responses ... but still not finding any nails pounded in ... closest yet is from KC6ZLV with his notation on Californians' attitude toward Texans' attitudes about "Cali-for-nigh-a" ...

It does ring true that Californians pretty near uniformly unite when Texans start bashing ...
(and I KNEW that issue had to come up!)

It is just that a lot of us are tired of hearing the crap about perceived causes of problems in California while a direct comparison to Texas is made to defend a set of political ideologies. As if Texas has no problems. Yes, Texas has had job growth. There are a multitude of reasons for it and most of the reasons are a symptom of other problems in the country as a whole. Such as the interests of big business and the race to the bottom when it comes to labor issues. The end result is someone in California loses a $20 hr job and someone in Texas gains a $11 an hour job. Given the employment and economic trends over the last several decades, the whole country should be asking what is going on (hint - it really has nothing to do with California).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:13 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,858,066 times

The person on the left, is an alien from outer space.

The person on the rightis what is referred to as an illegal alien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
It is just that a lot of us are tired of hearing the crap about perceived causes of problems in California while a direct comparison to Texas is made to defend a set of political ideologies. As if Texas has no problems. Yes, Texas has had job growth. There are a multitude of reasons for it and most of the reasons are a symptom of other problems in the country as a whole. Such as the interests of big business and the race to the bottom when it comes to labor issues. The end result is someone in California loses a $20 hr job and someone in Texas gains a $11 an hour job. Given the employment and economic trends over the last several decades, the whole country should be asking what is going on (hint - it really has nothing to do with California).

You were the first person to mention texas dude

Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,100,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You were the first person to mention texas dude
And it was my intention.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
And it was my intention.

We know. You felt you need to go on some soap box rant about Texas, when no one else brought it up and it had really nothing to do with the thread what so ever. So ironically even though you claim to be tired of hearing about Texas, you choose to bring it up in the thread. Brilliant? No. Fecetious... Yes.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,774,623 times
Quote:
We know. You felt you need to go on some soap box rant about Texas, when no one else brought it up and it had really nothing to do with the thread what so ever. So ironically even though you claim to be tired of hearing about Texas, you choose to bring it up in the thread. Brilliant? No. Fecetious... Yes.
You meant "Facetious", no doubt ... except, even there, the definition of "facetious" is: 'to joke about something inappropriately' ... and I didn't see KC6ZLV joking -- or being inappropriate. That said, if KC6 hadn't brought Texas in, I was planning to -- and I'd a dun it facetiously fo' sure.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You meant "Facetious", no doubt ... except, even there, the definition of "facetious" is: 'to joke about something inappropriately' ... and I didn't see KC6ZLV joking -- or being inappropriate. That said, if KC6 hadn't brought Texas in, I was planning to -- and I'd a dun it facetiously fo' sure.

Um, no, websters dictionary is your friend, not wikipedia

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

Quote:
: joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish <just being facetious>
: meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>
You don't think he was trying to be humorous in this post? Never mind the fact that it is not a serious way to determine whether or not some one is a native. There are tons of natives that complain about the things he lists. Not serious? An attempt at humor? Sounds fairly facetious to me.

Quote:
Easy. Aliens complain about the taxes being too high, 'dem libralz, blame the cost of living, California's unemployment rate, poverty and every other social problem on regulations, then turn around and say California should follow Texas as an example.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 09-25-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Um, no, websters dictionary is your friend, not wikipedia

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

Uhhhhhh, I wrote:
"the definition of "facetious" is:
'to joke about something inappropriately'
... and you respond with
"Um, no, websters dictionary is your friend, not wikipedia" and supplied the Webster definition of:
"joking or jesting often inappropriately "

Besides that what I wrote wasn't from wikipedia, the definition you supplied is the same as what I wrote ... did you read your own reference?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Uhhhhhh, I wrote:
"the definition of "facetious" is:
'to joke about something inappropriately'
... and you respond with
"Um, no, websters dictionary is your friend, not wikipedia" and supplied the Webster definition of:
"joking or jesting often inappropriately "

Besides that what I wrote wasn't from wikipedia, the definition you supplied is the same as what I wrote ... did you read your own reference?
Nice try, but here is the definition I gave

Quote:
You tried to suggest that in order to be facetious you had to be inapporpriate. I showed that is not the case. All the cherry picking and out right omission of cited referrences I provided simply wont change that.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Nice try, but here is the definition I gave

You tried to suggest that in order to be facetious you had to be inapporpriate. I showed that is not the case. All the cherry picking and out right omission of cited referrences I provided simply wont change that.

Dude, are you blind? Can you read? You supplied:
Quote:

The definition you gave is exactly what I supplied: "joking or jesting often inappropriately" ... there was no omission

Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,633,380 times
norcal, slow down, pay attention to your spell checker.

Quote:
Fecetious
Quote:
inapporpriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or