U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,801,998 times

Advertisements

A poster in another thread wrote (snarkily) that she could tell I "wasn't a 'native' Californian". This amused me quite a bit. It's true: I'm not. But when I asked for an explanation of what identified me as an "alien", she wouldn't respond. (She, herself, is also NOT a 'native' Californian.) Now, I have been a resident of California at times since 1966, when I was 17. Though I have maintained other residences in Washington and Hawaii, -- including what I consider my primary in WA -- I have had seven (7) different residences in the Bay Area, San Joaquin Valley, and SoCal over the past 45 years. Not P.O. boxes -- actual physical residences with doors and windows and such

Okay ... I was born in the mid-west, but my oldest child was born in California -- yet only lived there as a baby -- not since. So the kid is a "native-born Californian", I am not. What would identify her as such? Anybody think they can identify a "native" just by some quality of birth? Heh. Ok, obviously not. But can any of you readers, whether native-born or not, define a "native Californian", at all?

Just how would one identify unique similarities of -- say: a "native" rancher near Yreka, a "native" "medical" marijuana grower in Humbolt, a "native" gay-rights activist in the Bay, a "native" fisherman out of Monterey, a "native" farmer in the San Joaquin Valley, a "native" stage carpenter in Hollywood, a "native" desert rat hanging on out at the Salton Sea, a "native" retired Marine in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,659,880 times
Ha, Null, Now, my southern relatives say they can tell a Californian by their accent, apparently we drop our consonant endings or somthin.

So few Californians were born in this state it is easy to take one of them foreigners for a Californian.

If you ask a native Nevadan to describe a Californian they are likely to say all Californians are gay, wear lycra and polyester fibers, drive pickups other than Ford #1 and Chevy #2, or drive cars that aren't just plain ole Detroit four door seedans, ride mountain bikes and drink foo foo coffee.

So I guess, you just look around and see if anyone fits that description.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,801,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Ha, Null, Now, my southern relatives say they can tell a Californian by their accent, apparently we drop our consonant endings or somthin.

So few Californians were born in this state it is easy to take one of them foreigners for a Californian.

If you ask a native Nevadan to describe a Californian they are likely to say all Californians are gay, wear lycra and polyester fibers, drive pickups other than Ford #1 and Chevy #2, or drive cars that aren't just plain ole Detroit four door seedans, ride mountain bikes and drink foo foo coffee.

So I guess, you just look around and see if anyone fits that description.
Can I look in Yreka? How about OC?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,121,203 times
Easy. Aliens complain about the taxes being too high, 'dem libralz, blame the cost of living, California's unemployment rate, poverty and every other social problem on regulations, then turn around and say California should follow Texas as an example.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 PM

289 posts, read 517,406 times
Google Images
Your family belongs to one of these tribes. Otherwise you're just another person who's mom/dad or grandad or maybe greatgrandaddy
came out here from wherever, whenever they did

Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,659,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Can I look in Yreka? How about OC?
Yreka is a fine little town, I set my personal record for sitting on an onramp hoping for a ride there, back in 1974 or 5, took me 13 hours to catch a ride, darned hicks, my kinda people.

OC? Whooeee, I drove through there two weeks ago on my way to the Marine Base.. Are there Native Californians there? Native Californians are pretty smart, I hope most of them bailed out of there years ago, when there was still vacant land lying between Camp Pendleton and Anaheim.

As Jerry Jeff said,
"If I could just get off this L A Freeway before I get killed or caught
Down the road in a cloud of smoke toward some land that I ain't bought
yet.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,247,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
Your family belongs to one of these tribes. Otherwise you're just another person who's mom/dad or grandad or maybe greatgrandaddy
came out here from wherever, whenever they did
Native Californian isn't the same as Native American - different definition.

I'm a fifth generation Californian, so I qualify as a native, even if my great-great-great-grandparents did start life in Northern Europe - they came to California back in the 1800's - long enough for me to feel quite comfortable calling myself a native Californian!

As for being able to tell if someone is a native or not, if you're outside of the big cities - LA, San Diego, and San Francisco - then most of the younger people you meet will be natives - their parents or grandparents may have come from elsewhere, but they were born here.

And the closer you get to the bigger cities, the more non-natives of all ages you'll find.

You'll also find people like my cousin - who was born in another state, but has come back to California to live as an adult. All of her family on both sides, going back many generations, was born here - except for her - so is she a native, or not?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 AM

15,087 posts, read 17,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Can you tell a 'Native" Californian from an 'Alien'?
Never tried to figure it out.

[more important things going on]

Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 AM

289 posts, read 517,406 times
Alien: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qcr6zkRAp8...0/alien-10.jpg

California native: Gallery

Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,089,099 times
Being a native is no big deal. If you're truly special you qualify to join this group:

The Society of California Pioneers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or