U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,951,313 times

Advertisements

The only obstacle I can think of for Portland is the disastrous job economy. Now, Portland and it's suburbs do have an expansive medical field, and this could give you some opportunity in the billing field. Maybe. I happen to know a couple of people who finished school for this and haven't been able to get jobs.

The weather could be another issue, too, because it isn't for everybody. It rains from some point in fall through all of spring. Spring is very gloomy here. Summers always feel too short because of it. We do get a few days of 100 here, although the highest this year was 98. And as a biker, be prepared to bike in rain often.

I think Eugene, Corvallis, Salem, and maybe even Grants Pass or Roseburg are possible considerations (if you don't mind small towns, which some of them are).

Northern Cal past the Shasta communities, maybe. Shasta and Redding get damn HOT. We stopped in Redding two weeks ago for a bite to eat and it was 108.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM

230 posts, read 537,248 times
Hi!

Sorry.. didn't realize there was a follow up comment (City Data takes a few weeks to notify.)

Glad you enjoyed my little travelogue. Sacramento? I know several people in that area who love it. The summer's are too hot for me, but if I were to choose a summer-hot place to live, it'd be in my top 5. The city is vibrant, with lots to do, great architecture, and trees. Depending upon the lifestyle you enjoy, there is probably a neighborhood that you'd feel comfortable in. Outside of Sacramento are towns like Citrus Heights, which are more suburban, but very livable. The people I know who live there love the access to lakes, rivers, and mountains, plus you're not that far from the Bay Area if you want to explore that.

If hot weather was not an issue, I'd say that Sacramento, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Chico, and Davis, would be on the top of my list. Though you get less for your money, I personally prefer places like Pacific Grove, San Luis Obispo County, and Ventura. For someone considering San Luis Obispo County, the North end of the County has the heat in the summer, but you'll find better prices on housing, but your access to the cool beach weather is only 20 minutes, as opposed to over an hour or two from the places I mentioned in my Hot 5.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMINAVL View Post
Trixie09, thanks for the well thought out reply. You obviously know this area extremely well. Do you have any thoughts on Sacramento? Does it have character, and livability factor? I hear mixed reports, though many good things about Midtown.

One of the things I love about the West coast is that there are so many interesting cities within reasonable to short driving distance of each other. I can see how picking your spot is a close call!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,186,160 times
Quote:
We've been considering a move to Oregon or northern CA (yes, another "where to move" post) and we're looking for thoughts from folks out West. Here is our more important criteria:

1. Jobs-I'm studying health information technology/medical billing and coding and plan to enter the field. I'm also making and selling organic, natural beauty products for a friend's successful online business. My boyfriend is a technical editor/team leader for the US Forest Service. We need to live where there are jobs (if such a creature exists in this economy).

2. Bicycle friendly-We want to be able to commute to work, shopping, etc. on our bikes, so a place that is highly safe for bikes is a priority.

3. Moderate climate-We can't stand cold, but don't appreciate oppressive, 100+ degree weather, either. I love the climate here in the Western NC mountains, where we have four seasons, sunny summers that don't get in the 90's that much, mild winters.

4. Good food-Access to high quality food and locally grown/raised food is a priority. Farmer's Markets, organic grocery stores like Whole Foods, food co-ops, etc. are desirable. I like having access to more esoteric ingredients, like at the Asian market. We would like to live where there is a great restaurant scene.

5. Gardening-I love to garden, and grow my own veggies, perennials, and herbs. Being able to have chickens and compost bins is a plus.

6. Size of community-Anywhere from around 50,000 to 500,000 is fine.

7. Interesting stuff to do-Independent film theaters, good bands coming through town, culinary events, etc.

8. Housing budget-Probably no higher than $1800/month, whether we rent or buy.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sacramento sucks other than getting jobs.

Chico has what you want, but it gets as hot as Sacramento in the summer.

Mt Shasta has everything you ask for, but it's small. 3,000 population swells to 10,000 in the tourist season. You might not be able to get a job at the small hospital, but your husband could transfer to the Natl Forest Service there.

Ashland is great if you can afford it, in terms of being a cute college town with lots of cultural crap to do. You could get work in nearby Medford.

Bend is great for outdoors sports, mountains, rivers, beauty. I don't know about jobs, and someone above mentioned that it has cold winters.

Arcata/Eureka on the northern coast might be a good place in some ways, but it's not for everyone. Arcata is the small college town that has everything cool in it including an amazing two healthfood stores that are both big and crowded - I've never seen a small town with that much interest in organic foods. Weekly farmer's market. Good restaurants, used books, bagel cafe, home brewing, head shop. All the shopping is done in larger blue-collar Eureka which is 5-10 miles down the road, and that's where the jobs are too. I don't know about natl park service things right there, I think your boyfriend would have to commute 30-40 miles north or south.

This is the essence of Arcata, the Kinetic Sculpture Race held each year, each participant is a human-powered vehicle built in a humorous, artistic way:
Kinetic Sculpture Race 2011.mov - YouTube

Last edited by Woof; 10-21-2011 at 02:16 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,441,378 times
SoCal or bust.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM

80 posts, read 29,470 times
Love the video. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,351 times
Default Pacific Grove vs SLO

Trixie,

I've been following this thread, and I'm curious how you would compare Pacific Grove to SLO? We're up in Seattle, getting tired of the weather, and considering moving down to the Central Coast. We have 2 school age kids.

We'd love to move somewhere warm (in fact, we're considering Hawaii), but, heck, we've lived in Boston and Seattle, and we can probably survive in Pacific Grove. What we most want is space and opportunity for the kids to be outside (ie. not Seattle), good community, and a place that's inspiring. Bonus points if the local economy's any good.

Eventually, I think we'll end up (back) in the Bay Area because of jobs and relatives, but I'm not ready to move back there just yet.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Hi!

Sorry.. didn't realize there was a follow up comment (City Data takes a few weeks to notify.)

Glad you enjoyed my little travelogue. Sacramento? I know several people in that area who love it. The summer's are too hot for me, but if I were to choose a summer-hot place to live, it'd be in my top 5. The city is vibrant, with lots to do, great architecture, and trees. Depending upon the lifestyle you enjoy, there is probably a neighborhood that you'd feel comfortable in. Outside of Sacramento are towns like Citrus Heights, which are more suburban, but very livable. The people I know who live there love the access to lakes, rivers, and mountains, plus you're not that far from the Bay Area if you want to explore that.

If hot weather was not an issue, I'd say that Sacramento, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Chico, and Davis, would be on the top of my list. Though you get less for your money, I personally prefer places like Pacific Grove, San Luis Obispo County, and Ventura. For someone considering San Luis Obispo County, the North end of the County has the heat in the summer, but you'll find better prices on housing, but your access to the cool beach weather is only 20 minutes, as opposed to over an hour or two from the places I mentioned in my Hot 5.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 PM

258 posts, read 528,704 times
NW U.S. ... People are huge, so big ( fat ) ... A lot of Feminist She-men too. If that's you thing, more power to ya. It's green and earthy. Hippies galore. Best of luck.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,748,665 times
Pacific Grove and SLO are both not near any major job centers, so if that's important, then you may want to think about that. If that's not important, then both are awesome places. Personally, Pacific Grove is too foggy for my taste, and I'd be inclined to look in Carmel Valley, just inland a few miles, where it's much sunnier and warmer but only a few miles away. SLO is another great town, near the Paso Robles wine country, lots of nice beaches (Avila, Shell, Pismo), and just a short drive to Solvang and Santa Barbara. If SLO weren't so isolated in terms of infrastructure (airports, shopping, etc), then I'd choose SLO. I've read that people are really happy living there.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM

230 posts, read 537,248 times
Hi Brian,

As I type this, I am still in the Seattle area, and we're experiencing the potentially worst ice storm in history here. I am more than happy to discuss warmer places today! Finally heading back to SLO in March -- can't wait.

You asked about Pacific Grove vs SLO. I can speak to that. Pacific Grove is my answer if someone asks about my favorite town, ever. And I've lived in SLO for more than 17 years (by choice,) and returning shortly after this ill-fated run in Seattle area. (Hoping my power stays on long enough to finish this post!)

Pacific Grove. The good: Can't think of a prettier place. With the beautiful homes, gorgeous landscapes, coastline, and colors. Heaven. I also love the small town vibe there; would be a great place to raise kids. The recreation activities, and parks and trails are amazing. Also proximity to other interesting places is pretty awesome. I love the weather there. After living in Seattle for several years, some morning fog doesn't phase me. The quality of life there is pretty sweet.

The not-so-good: Housing prices are steep. Unless you telecommute (which I do,) or are in a medical field, it's a pretty small job market. I think that there is plenty to do there, unless you're wanting the big city cultural amenities (which I thought I wanted, then found I rarely partake in up in Seattle, preferring local events.) Some folks would find it a bit isolated, I would guess.

SLO (I'm including the whole County because there are some wonderful, Pacific GRove-like, towns all next to each other as a package. The good: I love the diversity of the weather and vibe there. You can be in wine country for a farmers market, then at the beach, in 20 minutes. The schools are great (both my girls went through them and now one of them is moving back there to raise their first child there.) The people... I find them much warmer than Seattle, and warmer than the Monterey area. There is a pretty decent job market there now, with many companies that chose SLO as a home, because of the lifestyle it offers their employees. Did I mention the fresh food focus there? Farmer's markets every day, many restaurants, and lots of agri-tourist type experiences. I like that the socio-economic lines are blurred there. I enjoy sitting at a stoplight, or at an event, next to a Range Rover and a beat up Toyota, but no one cares about it.

SLO's regional airport has many connecting flights to hubs now, and Santa Barbara's airport is less than 2 hours away, in Goleta, with even more direct flights. Shopping? It has the usual stores, If you're someone that has to have a Niemann Marcus or Nordstroms, then closer to the Bay Area would be a better choice. But the lifestyle in SLO County, seems to support maybe a yearly trip to that kind of shopping, but mostly it's not much of a status area, and no one will notice if you carry a $600.00 purse. lol.

The Bad: Housing is slightly higher than Seattle, but is less than the Bay Area and Pacific GRove. It's more isolated than PG, requiring a 3-4 hour drive in either direction to a major city. Gas prices are higher than SEattle, but you save on food.. big time.

SLO County is not for everyone, it's all about finding that place that matches the a few of your top values when choosing a place. For me, the top values are good weather, friendly people, and safety. I can figure out the work stuff, and live with a smaller house than I have here.

Hoping you can take a trip down there to see how it feels in both places, and if either of them line up with what's important to you now. I find that pro vs con lists don't work, unless you assign weight to the pros and cons in order of importance.

Hope this helps!! Feel free to ask me more, if you have specific questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcam View Post
Trixie,

I've been following this thread, and I'm curious how you would compare Pacific Grove to SLO? We're up in Seattle, getting tired of the weather, and considering moving down to the Central Coast. We have 2 school age kids.

We'd love to move somewhere warm (in fact, we're considering Hawaii), but, heck, we've lived in Boston and Seattle, and we can probably survive in Pacific Grove. What we most want is space and opportunity for the kids to be outside (ie. not Seattle), good community, and a place that's inspiring. Bonus points if the local economy's any good.

Eventually, I think we'll end up (back) in the Bay Area because of jobs and relatives, but I'm not ready to move back there just yet.

Brian

Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,174,624 times
Quote:
Trixie09, thanks for the well thought out reply. You obviously know this area extremely well. Do you have any thoughts on Sacramento? Does it have character, and livability factor? I hear mixed reports, though many good things about Midtown.

One of the things I love about the West coast is that there are so many interesting cities within reasonable to short driving distance of each other. I can see how picking your spot is a close call!
Notwithstanding the ridiculous "Sacramento sucks" comment above, it might be a decent choice for you. UC Davis Med Center is a world class institution and a lot of medical jobs will continue to grow around that. The hot summers are pretty easy to deal with in my opinion. The trees mitigate a lot of the urban heat island and the breezes from the bay make for really pleasant nights. (Our house is well-shaded and we have overhead fans and we didn't use the AC a single time this summer. No joke, our highest electricity bill was $30.) Surprisingly bike-friendly and continues to improve (League of Bicyclists rated it silver--which is the same as Santa Barbara and better than Chico, which is a little surprising). A good choice of different neighborhoods to choose from. Midtown is most dynamic, but lots of other good neighborhoods on the periphery. Great access to the mountains and Bay Area.

You'll definitely hear a lot of negatives (and there surely are) about the place, but it's really what you make of it. There are bad parts and lots of boring suburbs, but also lots of interesting areas. For us, I think the overall quality of life is better than anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or