U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,735,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
well that's nice.
would you like a little gold star for being "born and raised"?
it doesn't change anything i said about santa cruz.
Quite correct, you're still wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,932,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Quite correct, you're still wrong.
Wrong about what?
Santa Cruz is a small city, has the problems that any city has and it has grittiness ... and it has a lot of nice neighborhoods as well.
What's to contest?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM

9,969 posts, read 14,579,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Another consideration already brought up are sub neighborhoods - areas which are better or worse in one particular city/town. I've visited many cities across the US even smaller than Capitola to huge urban jungles like LA. I also worked as Real Estate appraiser. So knowing sub neighborhoods was a part of my job. And in most cases there are indeed areas which are known to be nicer and hence more expensive.

The larger a city is typically the more pronouced the differences with a bad side of the tracks in some cases including red light districts. And in those areas crime is higher. In the case of Santa Cruz I could see this. With smaller cities/towns there is less of a distinction to the point where everything is pretty much the same. My home town of Hermosa Beach in SoCal was like this as well as Manhattan Beach right next door. Capitola is so small I'm not sure if there is much of a distinction between one part or the other. Although I haven't studied the neighborhoods enough to notice such differences if any.
Most of the crime in Capitola is concentrated around the Capitola Road/41st Ave areas on the western part of town. Also, Capitola, isn't a very big place, and you're surrounded by unicorporated communities like Soquel to the north which have a fairly low crime rate. But driving around Santa Cruz/Capitola it's hard to tell where one area ends and another begins. Where my parents live up Branciforte in Santa Cruz is very safe for the most part, although they've had problems with car break-ins and vagrants/druggies living down by the creek.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Wrong about what?
Santa Cruz is a small city, has the problems that any city has and it has grittiness ... and it has a lot of nice neighborhoods as well.
What's to contest?
It's got more problems - Santa Cruz county has the highest homeless rate in the state, and most of them are in the city of Santa Cruz. The city has more problems than a town that size in a place that nice should have.

Stay south of 41st, that's my advice.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Like i said in a previous post, some think that a community that doesn't disdain the homeless and who has tolerance for the marginalized is a good thing.

S.C. is funky, no doubt.

Stay open, that's my advice.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,992,793 times
I wonder if UCSC significantly contributes to the increased crime rate? Students often do a lot of stupid things. At least they did at my college. It seems there was always someone getting arrested for assaulting someone else. A rape even happened in my sophmore dormitory. It was awful.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Like i said in a previous post, some think that a community that doesn't disdain the homeless and who has tolerance for the marginalized is a good thing.

S.C. is funky, no doubt.

Stay open, that's my advice.
If by not disdaining you mean enabling, sure, why not. I remember when they moved all the homeless to New Brighton Park - wow. that didn't last very long, what with the fires, the rapes, the assaults, the ODing, the increased theft in the surrounding area...

Santa Cruz is home to a very long term homeless population, and enabling doesn't do them or the citizens forced to live around them any favors.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
If by not disdaining you mean enabling, sure, why not. I remember when they moved all the homeless to New Brighton Park - wow. that didn't last very long, what with the fires, the rapes, the assaults, the ODing, the increased theft in the surrounding area...

Santa Cruz is home to a very long term homeless population, and enabling doesn't do them or the citizens forced to live around them any favors.
I dunno.
I don't have an issue with homeless people.
Maybe it's because i know what it is to be on the fringe.
I do however have an issue with harmful people and they're in all walks of life.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 AM

33 posts, read 118,480 times
I landed on this thread because I recently had the same question as the OP after seeing those FBI crime stats. Yes, I know it's an old thread but I wanted to add a bit of info for anyone else who got here with the same question.

I was particularly puzzled by the high assault stats, so I went to the Santa Cruz Sentinel's crime map here: Crime map - Santa Cruz Sentinel

I clicked on all of the assault listings and discovered that a lot were domestic violence accounts. Not all, but a significant (IMO) portion.

I am not in ANY way suggesting that domestic violence isn't "real assault." It is a serious violent crime. I'm just saying that might be why SC seems safe but the assault stats are high--many of the assaults take place in private homes behind closed doors.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 12,323,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG00 View Post
I landed on this thread because I recently had the same question as the OP after seeing those FBI crime stats. Yes, I know it's an old thread but I wanted to add a bit of info for anyone else who got here with the same question.

I was particularly puzzled by the high assault stats, so I went to the Santa Cruz Sentinel's crime map here: Crime map - Santa Cruz Sentinel

I clicked on all of the assault listings and discovered that a lot were domestic violence accounts. Not all, but a significant (IMO) portion.

I am not in ANY way suggesting that domestic violence isn't "real assault." It is a serious violent crime. I'm just saying that might be why SC seems safe but the assault stats are high--many of the assaults take place in private homes behind closed doors.
Yeah, its pretty surprising. Its also a sad story of a town with too much domestic abuse. For all the cases offically reported imagine how many more go unreported. Domestic violence is just as bad as someone getting assaulted on the street. The major difference is its a nasty crime usually against so-called loved ones. These are also some of the most dangerous for police to respond to when the victim will sometimes turn on the police to protect the abuser. Drugs many times come into play.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or