Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times

Advertisements

I live in central Florida, and we had our first front move through. It was a high of maybe 80 and about 50% humidity. The sky had an intense blue look to it, not that milky white we get a lot here. The low humidity made all the difference, I was out all day on my scooter and never got tired. The sun actually felt good beating on me, and as soon as I got in the shade, I was cool. Breathing is even more enjoyable, the drier air has almost an enjoyable 'bite' to it, but yet light too.

Good weather makes a huge impact on my emotional well being. I need to be in a place that has sunny dry weather all the time. I'm thinking about Phoenix, but I'm also thinking about southern Cal. See, I'd be happy in one of those hot, dry inland valleys. The humidity in Van Nuys right now is only 25%, that's got to feel good.

Phoenix probably appeals to me because it's so opposite of Florida, I'm sick of the tropical look and here's a place that's brown. I'm not the only one who likes a warm dry climate, and there must be a reason why the population of southern California is so massive. Humans usually migrate to where it feels best. And if the desert southwest felt better, it's population would be higher than SoCal. And until I experience a summer in Phoenix, it probably won't make sense to my why everyone goes to California instead.

Thoughts, experiences? Which place will I be happier at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
,,,,The humidity in Van Nuys right now is only 25%, that's got to feel good.

Phoenix probably appeals to me because it's so opposite of Florida, I'm sick of the tropical look and here's a place that's brown. I'm not the only one who likes a warm dry climate, and there must be a reason why the population of southern California is so massive. Humans usually migrate to where it feels best. And if the desert southwest felt better, it's population would be higher than SoCal. And until I experience a summer in Phoenix, it probably won't make sense to my why everyone goes to California instead.

Thoughts, experiences? Which place will I be happier at?
I am 30 miles southeast of Van Nuys and looking at the gauge it is currently 70% humidity. I check daily and it is usually 65 - 80 daily. When I lived in Yosemite we had 0 - 5% humidity even in Feb in 4 feet of snow.

People come to CA because it has been the Mecca since the dawn of time, the land of OZ with golden streets. Back in the depression all unemployed packed up the wagons or hopped on trains to seek their riches in CA.
People in Europe dream of migrating to CA.

CA has falsely been portrayed as the location that anyone can become a star. Become rich by eating at a diner. BTW CA diners do not compare to diners in the east.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I need to be in a place that has sunny dry weather all the time. I'm thinking about Phoenix, but I'm also thinking about southern Cal.
I would never pick Phoenix if you are a weather person, it is very hot in the summers, and lacks identity, I'd say if So Cal don't work, definitly Albuquerque is the next best thing, you should check it out, mild four seasons, no humidity, great scenary, great culture, affordable, diverse, and an all around great place to be.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
I, too, find it difficult to live with humidity of the East Coast & SouthEast US.

Actually, Florida weather is my idea of the theological place of eternal punishment.

The real question is what kind of job/career/employment are qualified for? If you're a semiconductor engineer, for example, you would probably find the Phoenix area more attractive because of employment opportunities.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I, too, find it difficult to live with humidity of the East Coast & SouthEast US.

Actually, Florida weather is my idea of the theological place of eternal punishment.

The real question is what kind of job/career/employment are qualified for? If you're a semiconductor engineer, for example, you would probably find the Phoenix area more attractive because of employment opportunities.
Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM

41 posts, read 79,289 times
I'm from southern California and Phoenix wins hands down. Better economy, better employment opportunities, cheaper housing, cleaner suburbs, the best highway system I've ever experienced outside of Germany etc. There's no competition and the weather is beautiful.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacub85 View Post
I'm from southern California and Phoenix wins hands down. Better economy, better employment opportunities, cheaper housing, cleaner suburbs, the best highway system I've ever experienced outside of Germany etc. There's no competition and the weather is beautiful.
The last time i was in Phoenix it was 108 degrees and the sun felt like it was literally piercing through my skin.
But different bodies like different climates ... hot and dry for me is torture.
Someone else suggested Albuquerque, NM and either it or, if you don't need an urban environment, further north in the Santa Fe area would be even better imo... it's more beautiful and the air is cleaner.
If you want dry, there are a number of states in the south west and inter-mountain west that would be, for a bunch of reasons, better than CA.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
If you like dry with no humidity, have you thought of Colorado. It has a 4 season climate but is very dry because of the altitute. No humidity, no bugs!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Big City with dry weather

Thanks for all the responses. I don't want any quaint western towns. I want a big city with a large freeway network. I like driving.

I'll be entry level in my career. I'll be finishing an accounting degree in about a year from now. And I wish I could say I was in my early twenties but it's not the case, try a male in his late 30's.

I visited Los Angeles this past year and I really liked it, more so than San Diego even. I could see myself living there. I wonder which city I'm more likely to find entry level accounting work, Phoenix or LA? Either city I'd probably be happy in. Cost of living isn't an issue for me, I have no kids. All I need is a little studio apartment. I don't even do car payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The real question is what kind of job/career/employment are qualified for?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacub85 View Post
I'm with you, it's looking good, at least on google maps anyway. And, it's just a nice day drive to LA too. If I'm not living in LA, I need to be at least a reasonable drive from it, and that's just a flat out requirement for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California