Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times

Advertisements

They say that this generation of children will be the first to have shorter life spans than their parents!
Gee, i wonder why.
Kids are being raised on absolute junk / empty calories and their horrendous diets are greatly compromising their health.
When i was in grade school in the late 60's / early 70's, there was usually only 1 (2 at the most) overweight children in the class.
Now look at how many overweight children there are.
It's becoming the norm.
Gee, i wonder why.
People complain about the CA nanny state but if we weren't a population of total and absolute idiots there wouldn't be a need to mandate better behavior and actions.
Junk food eaters can pocket all of that money that they spend on crap and educate themselves about proper nutrition and how to provide good, healthy, wholesome food in an economical way.
Eating healthy foods is economical if you know how to eat and shop intelligently.
And, btw, the money that the individual and state will save in future health care costs is huge.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,536,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let's see now, the bill mandates an establishment of yet another government unit, that:

...an inter-departmental council, with representatives from the California Health and Human Services, Food and Agriculture and Labor departments. The council would work with the State Treasury to find financing for the healthy food fund and establish guidelines for food providers to apply and receive money. The fund would be established in the California State Treasury.

So, we've significantly reduced funding for programs for adults with conditions like cerebral palsy, spina bifida and down syndrome, but we are going to fund this crap?
And this is one of the reasons why many people don't want to see higher taxes. Don't talk about raising taxes while you fund stuff like this. Speaking only for myself, I understand no government will ever be completely free of wasteful spending, but geez, at least make a real attempt.

Sure, there will be people who think this is a good idea, but the simple fact is that you can't fund every good idea out there. We'd all pay 90% tax rates if every good idea was funded. In this case, the market decides anyway. There are a lot of individuals and companies seeing $$$$ with the whole organic foods movement. I don't believe they are leaving money on the table. If they think they will sell enough in any area, they will be there.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
And, btw, the money that the individual and state will save in future health care costs is huge.
Nah! It will just get frittered away like all the rest.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
If you don't believe in Natural Rights, get yo arse back to the Old World!

We fought a War of Independence based on our belief in Natural Rights.

Rights "granted" by a sovereign (e.g. "rights" to elements of government largess) are an oxymoron.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 PM

927 posts, read 1,451,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
If you don't believe in Natural Rights, get yo arse back to the Old World!

We fought a War of Independence based on our belief in Natural Rights.

Rights "granted" by a sovereign (e.g. "rights" to elements of government largess) are an oxymoron.
now ... more people need to learn that ENTITLEMENT is not a right

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Please understand that the majority of degenerative diseases, cancer and other conditions, from genetic abnormalities in newborns to dental issues are caused by unhealthy/non-organic/unnatural food. So yes, it makes sense to put government money in the major PUBLIC HEALTH issue. Then, will be less need for financing foundations for autism, heart disease, cancer, Parkinsons (often caused by aluminum exposure), etc, etc, etc. I'm really tired of people asking me "what witch brew I'm cookin" cause at 40 y.o I look 20 and a high-performance athlete, asking to reveal the "secret" to them: there's NO secret. Eat organic,at least all natural if you can't afford/grow organic, don't smoke, don't do drugs and don't drink (may be red wine) and you'll last and won't need to pay to medical mafia. No need to sell the soul to devil for that stuff either. You ARE what you eat.

Last time, a 30 year old guy, with deep wrinkles on face already, looking 40, had been asking me the same thing, again... what pills I was taking to stay young and for athletic performance. What can I say--dude, if you eat non-organic meat and potatoes thing every day, you'll look your age and older, and at 45.... the medical/pharma mafia will be knocking on your door. Non-organic crap filled with pesticides, antibiotics and hormones are a 20th century invention and an ill-conceived experiment, where human lab rats are fed garbage (sorry, I don't call this "food") sold in mass supermarkets. When they hit 45 they're ripe milk cows for medical establishment. The failure of government to ban the majority of food additives and mass-fried food at this point (as it is well-known in scientific community how much harm they cause), is exactly this: very powerful, greedy medical establishment and lobby. All-affordable government-sponsored healthy insurance is a good thing for the budget actually: may be it would finally force government to wake up and ban harmful substances, as this is obviously going to cost?
Great points. While I cannot always eat organic, I do avoid the process stuff as much as possible and like you, people often don't believe my age when I tell them. I also exercise when I can. The more this food is available, the more I eat it and I think this is true for a lot of people.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM

158 posts, read 330,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
now ... more people need to learn that ENTITLEMENT is not a right

That's a battle we'll never win, you know that, right?

Bothers the crap out of me.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Great points. While I cannot always eat organic, I do avoid the process stuff as much as possible and like you, people often don't believe my age when I tell them. I also exercise when I can. The more this food is available, the more I eat it and I think this is true for a lot of people.
Good for you, so why can't folks just choose to do this without the establishment of yet another governmental organization?

I still don't understand the justification for this bill. It isn't like folks can't eat "healthy" without this bill.

By the way, for all of the comments about natural vs processed food, as someone who grew up in Philly I know an awful lot of folks in their 80's and 90's who spent their entire lives eating hoagies and cheese steaks.

Not saying what you eat doesn't matter at all, however I think some folks get a bit carried away with their concerns associated with "unhealthy" eating.

Moderation in anything is good.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Good for you, so why can't folks just choose to do this without the establishment of yet another governmental organization?

I still don't understand the justification for this bill. It isn't like folks can't eat "healthy" without this bill.

By the way, for all of the comments about natural vs processed food, as someone who grew up in Philly I know an awful lot of folks in their 80's and 90's who spent their entire lives eating hoagies and cheese steaks.

Not saying what you eat doesn't matter at all, however I think some folks get a bit carried away with their concerns associated with "unhealthy" eating.

Moderation in anything is good.
For some, it simply may not be available in their area and they may not have the means to get to where it is available. I do but I am also aware that not everyone is just like me and can do what I can do. It amazes me how many like yourself have a "one size fits all" view on things. Also as someone mentioned, this money will simply go to treating the problems a bad diet will cause. Even if it doesn't let's be serious for a second, do you honestly believe that any of that money will end up in your pocket?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
For some, it simply may not be available in their area and they may not have the means to get to where it is available. I do but I am also aware that not everyone is just like me and can do what I can do. It amazes me how many like yourself have a "one size fits all" view on things. Also as someone mentioned, this money will simply go to treating the problems a bad diet will cause. Even if it doesn't let's be serious for a second, do you honestly believe that any of that money will end up in your pocket?
Availability of "healthy" foods isn't all that difficult, folks may have to make a little effort to get to the stores. If the market is there, providers will open their stores or folks can establish co-ops.

Regarding it ending up in my pocket, I suggest you go back and re-read my posting (#4) in this thread. I find it repulsive that the state has taken so much funding from folks with disabilities beyond their control, yet are willing to fund this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California