U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hats On or Off while eating?
Yes, I wear my hat while eating. 12 24.49%
No, I take my hat off while eating. 28 57.14%
I like Cake and Beach Babes! 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,926,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Few people in California wear hats. Those who do usually walk around with their hats on backwards.
Admittedly, we have a lot of the same here in Texas...that or side ways...even in West Texas far away from metro cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
Today while having a delicious late lunch at Brandon's Diner in Fontana, I wore my red ball cap with the gold embroidered "THE BEST MARINE IS A SUBMARINE" that was thoughtfully given to me by a former US Government issue type 1 each submariner. The only time I uncover is when I'm at a fancy do or family sit-down meal in the dining room.

I WILL walk into your house wearing my cover and you WILL shut your yap about it.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,856,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Today while having a delicious late lunch at Brandon's Diner in Fontana, I wore my red ball cap with the gold embroidered "THE BEST MARINE IS A SUBMARINE" that was thoughtfully given to me by a former US Government issue type 1 each submariner. The only time I uncover is when I'm at a fancy do or family sit-down meal in the dining room.

I WILL walk into your house wearing my cover and you WILL shut your yap about it.
Welcome back fontucket

Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Time for school folks. America was settled by the English in the East and the Spanish in the West.
It was and is English tradition for men to remove hats indoors.
It was Spanish tradition for men not to remove hats indoors.

Which is why the inheritors of Spanish hat tradition, the cowboys, do not remove their hats indoors, while inheritors of the English tradition do.

Now, that line has been blurred, more and more men are unknowingly carrying on the Spanish tradition by not removing their hats indoors, generally without any idea they are following Spanish tradition, not English.

And for some, they would throw their hats away if they knew they were doing what "them Mexicans" do.
Well the railroads also played quite a role in the history of the West and it was long (and still is) a railroad rule that a conductor should remove his hat while walking through the dining car. Granted railroading did start with the British.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,772,061 times
Quote:

I don't have a house ... and the overhead in my van is so low your hat will scrape ... so no fun for you over here even though my digs are perfect for a fancy do ...

Old 10-06-2011, 06:14 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,926,972 times
seriously?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,314,036 times
Quote:

Fonspunky is at it again.

For Highlite:

If I put my sombrero and charro suit on that I used to don for the cinco de mayo parades back in the 1980's I would have to take my hat off to get through the damn door.
All the Latino's I know in my family even those from the old country always take their hats off.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,772,061 times
California is so not limited to hats ...
face furniture rules ...

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,630,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Fonspunky is at it again.

For Highlite:

If I put my sombrero and charro suit on that I used to don for the cinco de mayo parades back in the 1980's I would have to take my hat off to get through the damn door.
All the Latino's I know in my family even those from the old country always take their hats off.
Cinco De Mayo ain't much of a Mexican holiday, where did the gringos throw a Cinco De Mayo parade?

Now, BDD did I say it was a Mexican tradition?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Welcome back fontucket
There once was a man from Fontucket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or