Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times

Advertisements

Federal prosecutors have launched a crackdown on pot dispensaries in California, warning the stores that they must shut down in 45 days or face criminal charges and confiscation of their property even if they are operating legally under the state's 15-year-old medical marijuana law.

Calif. pot dispensaries told to shut down - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Here come the fed. Here come the fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Not too surprising even though Obama stated he would tell the fed to back off of such activity. While I voted for him (watch what happens now that I said that lol), as all politicians do, he went back on his word. California has been ignoring the fed on this for years and it is one such thing that is slowly but surely widening the rift between Washington DC and Sacramento.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
What is the position of the California federal representatives (Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, etc.) on this?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
What is the position of the California federal representatives (Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, etc.) on this?
What's their position on anything that isn't status quo..?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
I have two thoughts:

1. Had CA put in place regulations that ensured these clinics were for real and legitimate medical use, this probably wouldn't happen. When you see someone who looks barely legal flipping a sign (like they do for apartments) for medical pot prescriptions.....well that might be going too far. When all you have to do is complain about being under stress to get a prescription....well that basically amounts to making it legal for anyone, not just those who really benefit from it.

2. To me, CA subverting federal law with respect to pot usage isn't "much" different than AZ deciding to take illegal immigration enforcement into its own hands. Think about that. There was so much outrage that a state would decide to enforce federal laws when the feds would not, but none when a state decided to ignore federal law to do its own thing. IMHO, this amounts to the feds being consistent. Either you support both AZ and CA on these issues, or you support the feds. You can't support subverting federal law, or taking it into your own hands, only when it supports your position.

I'm all for medical pot usage, but only if it is a bit more controlled than it is now. As it exists now, it looks more like a facade for complete legalization than it does a program to help those who could really benefit from it. There is a good debate going on in this country as to states' rights. Unfortunately, it's mostly a hypocritical debate. People are trying to have it both ways. For example, someone might take a position that CA has every right to enact medical pot laws, but VA is wrong to sue the government over healthcare reform. If you believe in states' rights, you have to believe in them regardless of the particular issue. The same applies to those who support a stronger federal government.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not too surprising even though Obama stated he would tell the fed to back off of such activity. While I voted for him (watch what happens now that I said that lol), as all politicians do, he went back on his word. California has been ignoring the fed on this for years and it is one such thing that is slowly but surely widening the rift between Washington DC and Sacramento.

Obama is so hurt it's not even funny. He can't even make his own people on the left happy anymore. I don't see why he is trying to pander to those of us who are more to the right, we are not going to vote for him anyways.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Obama is so hurt it's not even funny. He can't even make his own people on the left happy anymore. I don't see why he is trying to pander to those of us who are more to the right, we are not going to vote for him anyways.
Nobody gets elected without the support of moderates and independents. I've only voted for a republican president one more time than a democrat. I think he's trying to appeal to the moderates. I don't think it's working though.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Nobody gets elected without the support of moderates and independents. I've only voted for a republican president one more time than a democrat. I think he's trying to appeal to the moderates. I don't think it's working though.
That's what I pretty much mean, Feds raiding pot shops, is not going to appeal to moderates. That's the last thing on the mind of a moderate in swing state like say, Ohio.

All he did was **** off a bunch of Californians, who will probably vote for him anyways.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
That's what I pretty much mean, Feds raiding pot shops, is not going to appeal to moderates. That's the last thing on the mind of a moderate in swing state like say, Ohio.

All he did was **** off a bunch of Californians, who will probably vote for him anyways.
I won't vote for Obama again.
He's weak ... intelligent (and really good looking ... that's the true reason i voted for him and yeah, i'm a gal) but he's weak.
He had a window and he blew it (yeah, yeah, congress, blah, blah, blah) and now, with an approval rating of what? 42%? he should be doing everything he can to keep his promises .... damn the torpedoes!
Despite congress (it's congress right? ) had he truly fought ... really, really fought for what the people who voted for him and believed in him wanted, folks would have stood by him even if he couldn't get past those who have made it impossible for him.
I won't vote for anyone .. ever again probably ... unless a true visionary radical runs and that won't happen 'cause why would a true visionary radical want anything to do with this piece of cr** system?! and people wouldn't vote for him/her anyway because everyone is so attached to the status quo and so lacking in courage and the capacity to see beyond what is familiar and known.

I have a license and yeah, there are folks who take advantage of the m.m. laws but i often see people who are in true need ... like people who are obviously suffering and sometimes dying from cancer, aids, and other degenerative diseases.
This will hurt them.
I was in a collective this summer and saw an older woman ... looked like a housewife ... very conventional ... and she was lying on one of the couches and she was wasted with cancer and probably not long for this world and she was so full of pain and sorrow and i remember thinking how wonderful it is that she can come to this really nice collective and deal with really compassionate people and buy her marijuana legally so that some of her pain can be relieved.

Damn the feds. Seriously!
No one is being harmed by the legalization of medical marijuana!!!

Also, there are many difficult conditions that are not serious and/or terminal that marijuana can help to alleviate.
And the ultimate legalization will mitigate the criminal elements.
I wish people would get over their ridiculous notions and attitudes about pot.
It's so ... so ... so friggin stupid.
Make alcohol illegal for C***** sake!
It's so much more destructive.

Last edited by jaijai; 10-06-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Make alcohol illegal for C***** sake!
It's so much more destructive.
That worked out so well the first time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California