Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,835 times

Advertisements

As a child in DCF, I've moved around all over Connecticut; I'm used to packing up and moving around. However, I am ultimalty antsy to get out of CT and am drawn to California. I currently work at Target and can easily get a job tranfer over there. I've started contacting apartment agencies, however I am scared of getting screwed over seeing as I cannot go over to Cali and look at the apartments myself and meet the agents. I don't have a car yet; I am working on purchasing one as I type this and I do have my license. Would I need to get a license in Cali as well and I'd have to register and license my car in Cali as well, right? I also have my CNA certification and am looking to get a job in Cali as a CNA. Would I have to recertified in Cali? Am I missing anything?
I am looking for a studio apartment, nothing special, preferably allows pets; I don't know any of the areas over there. Preferably something close to the cities and ocean, nothing too remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,834,676 times
A tip: drop the "Cali" thing ... you'll get grief for it.

My goodness ... do you realize how big and diverse California is?
When you say you are "drawn" to California, what is it that draws you?
You want to live on the coast and near a city.
Well if by a city you mean like L.A. or San Francisco then you have the choice of either living in Southern California in the L.A. area or in the S.F. bay area.
There is also the San Diego area.
There is also San Jose and surrounding areas.
All of these places are very different.
Have you been to California?
I suggest a visit! Seriously.
If California is the place for you then you need to be patient and work out a real plan ... a plan better than the one you have now if i may say.
You do not want to rent a place in a huge and diverse state that you are not familiar with and with many questionable areas before you see and feel the neighborhood and before you see the rental unit!
You shouldn't do that no matter where you are moving!
That's just asking for trouble.
Does Target help their employees relocate?
Also, do you have any idea how expensive it is to live on the coast of California?!
Take a look at Craigslist for the San Francisco bay area which also includes San Jose.
This will give you a sense of the incredibly high rental prices in coastal California.
When you see something that might look affordable realize that it just may be in an area that isn't appropriate for you.

sfbay.craigslist.org/apa/

And take a look at rentals in the San Diego area.

sandiego.craigslist.org/apa/

Again, if CA is the place for you and you're "meant to be here" then take your time and do it right and don't just act out because you're "antsy".
It's one thing to move around in CT due to restlessness but to make a move across the country to the strange and foreign land of California may be (probably is) a really stupid / risky thing to do.
Risks are fine but they need to be (unless you're into danger) "measured" and intelligent.
And yes, if you finally end up here and become a resident you will, at some point (i think you have 6 months but i'm not sure) have to get a California drivers license and register your car in California.

Last edited by jaijai; 10-24-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,643,088 times
u need a car..... and yes a drivers license...also insurance, gas, and general maintenance of the car.

Will target provide u with enough money for that? as well as rent, food, utilities?
the actual move itself will be expensive. . im talking in the thousands of dollars. Do u have any money saved?

Perhaps plan a trip out to cali and get a feel for it first....see where u wanna live, than go back to CT and make it a goal once u've figured out the logistics.

Perhaps florida may be a good option as well, being that its closer to you and less expensive.

just suggesting

Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,351,801 times
Default Hi! I'm moving to California from Connecticut.

I'm sorry!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,812,031 times
As the others said, California is a huge state but given you want to be near the ocean I'm suggesting you may want to look at San Luis Obispo. Of course, if you want a huge town then it's not for you. My next suggestion would be San Diego but the rents are much higher there.
SLO, as the locals often refer to it, has great weather, very close to the ocean and beaches, has a community and state college, very good services (I'm presuming there's a Target there) and in general may be a less overwhelming change for you to adapt to.
Here's a link to a Craigslist ad for a cute place there that gives you an idea of the rents - you can go to Craigslist San Luis Obispo of course to see all of them.
Spacious Stand Alone Studio Near Elfin Forest (http://slo.craigslist.org/apa/2668202548.html - broken link)
I suggest that you do not "go over the hill" to Paso Robles as the weather changes dramatically.
If at all possible you should try to fly out for a few days and look around yourself. Chances are you would probably have to get a CA license for your CNA but if you have a job with Target then you can work on that after you settle down.
In any event, good luck and don't let the naysayers deter you!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,834,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
As the others said, California is a huge state but given you want to be near the ocean I'm suggesting you may want to look at San Luis Obispo. Of course, if you want a huge town then it's not for you. My next suggestion would be San Diego but the rents are much higher there.
SLO, as the locals often refer to it, has great weather, very close to the ocean and beaches, has a community and state college, very good services (I'm presuming there's a Target there) and in general may be a less overwhelming change for you to adapt to.
Here's a link to a Craigslist ad for a cute place there that gives you an idea of the rents - you can go to Craigslist San Luis Obispo of course to see all of them.
Spacious Stand Alone Studio Near Elfin Forest (http://slo.craigslist.org/apa/2668202548.html - broken link)
I suggest that you do not "go over the hill" to Paso Robles as the weather changes dramatically.
If at all possible you should try to fly out for a few days and look around yourself. Chances are you would probably have to get a CA license for your CNA but if you have a job with Target then you can work on that after you settle down.
In any event, good luck and don't let the naysayers deter you!
That's actually a good suggestion as long as she doesn't need a city city and she can find a place that isn't at all isolated.
It may be a manageable and good place for a young east coast transplant.
But o.p. .... unless your employer can help you with housing you have to figure out how to make this move without giving any money to anybody unless and until you have seen the rental property and have a signed contract!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,810,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm sorry!
*insert troll image here*

Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
*insert troll image here*
If you haven't ever been to CT, especially at this time of year, and I had family there, you wouldn't understand.

Troll this!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,810,613 times
I understand this: WINTER.

Over and out.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I understand this: WINTER.
Gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California