U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,616,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Never...too much Ganja.
Now you are funny! Didnt matter to me though, never touched the stuff, but I am for y'all that partake to be allowed.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,197,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I've been in countless political/immigration debates on this forum .... but I have little fight left in me. This is truly sad. The government of this state has forgotten its people and passed legislation assisting people who do not belong here in the first place. I don't care - and even feel a bit of sorrow - for those here illegally who were brought here before they were old enough to understand what was going on - but a line has to be drawn. As someone who has never taken a penny of government money, I really can't stand a hand-out being given to someone who is illegally here.
Unlike you, I haven't gotten involved in the political/immigration debates on this forum, for one reason.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM

298 posts, read 530,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Funny how a third option keeps getting ignored or overlooked. Guess it's too "American" for some.

3) Encourage a groundswell of public opinion and political pressure on the feds to live up to their responsibility towards the sovereignty of this country and expel the illegal blighters and their spawn - cheaper by the dozen than the other options mentioned.
Absolutely. Shut the friggin' border and keep out illegals! Let Mexico reap what Mexico sows (Jack Squat!)

Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,566,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Absolutely. Shut the friggin' border and keep out illegals! Let Mexico reap what Mexico sows (Jack Squat!)
If i had it my way i would build a massive wall all the way from the border with Mexico to California to the Ocean and Texas. Seal off the border put up machine gun tower nest and underground put an explosive mine field for anybody digging a tunnel.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,653,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymonk View Post
So we the taxpayers (this is our home) are the ones who should "LEAVE" this state so the leaches who broke our laws coming here can take over and steal our tax dollars. Plus if they want to go to college, (GO)! Whose stopping them? Just don't steal our money doing it!!
Nonsense, I have no idea where you guys get this idea that these people are leaches, they come here, they work, they pay the same taxes you do.
Plus, just think, with a college degree they will make even more money and probably pay more taxes than you do.

I trust that those who accuse them of "breaking our laws" have never driven 70 mph in a 65, have never had a blood alcohol level above the legal while driving, have never owned an un registered pistolo and have never cut corners on their taxes, have never crossed the white or yellow line will making a turn.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,886,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nonsense, I have no idea where you guys get this idea that these people are leaches, they come here, they work, they pay the same taxes you do.
Plus, just think, with a college degree they will make even more money and probably pay more taxes than you do.

I trust that those who accuse them of "breaking our laws" have never driven 70 mph in a 65, have never had a blood alcohol level above the legal while driving, have never owned an un registered pistolo and have never cut corners on their taxes, have never crossed the white or yellow line will making a turn.
Apples to oranges literally .. All is fun and games until you understand the reality of limited resources. Of course, in a liberal's ideal world, resources are infinite ..
I mean, deficits .. to the tune of tens of billions.. what's that .. I mean, it doesn't exist .. see, i just wished it away.

People who break a law that's 10x as grave as another .. and conduct a daily lifestyle that is in violation of laws and harm the well being of Americans .. Yeah, that's similar to going 70 in a 65 .. God help us all..

As for the legal immigrants who came here and paid international tuition rates .. Graduated with $80k of debt and are busting their arse to pay it off ... to become citizens for over a decade when they legally entered the country.. Yeah, as an idealist liberal w/ no concept of consequence.. let me go spit in their faces and reward the group that cuts in line and breaks laws..

What you suggest is akin to giving tickets to people who drive the speed limit and obey the laws and using the revenue proceeds to reward those who speed.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
...and this has degenerated into a discussion about illegal immigration, instead of the Dream Act...

Thread will be moved to the Illegal Immigration Forum if the discussion continues in that direction.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,886,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
...and this has degenerated into a discussion about illegal immigration, instead of the Dream Act...

Thread will be moved to the Illegal Immigration Forum if the discussion continues in that direction.
K, back on topic .. In a world of limited resources, there are consequences :
California’s Quarterly Tax Revenue Falls Below Projections
Hate to say I told ya so...

"The $86 billion general-fund spending plan Brown signed in June included a series of cuts activated if higher revenue doesn’t materialize by mid-December. The first, if the shortfall is $1 billion, would trim University of California and California State University budgets each by $100 million and increase community-college fees by $10 million.
With a $2 billion gap, the contraction would mean a seven- day reduction in the public-school year to save $1.54 billion and an end to $248 million in home-to-school busing subsidies."

Enjoy !

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: California Nears Automatic Education Spending Cuts With Revenue $705 Million Short (Making the Dream Act Signed by Brown Look Even Sillier)

California.. you've worked hard for this.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,653,690 times
You are whining again. I think it is cute that you think I am a liberal, a farmer with a bunch of 4x4's, horses, mules, guns, snap button shirts and big hats. But, I know it makes life easier for those in Erickson's concrete operations stage to assume that realists must be liberals. And heck, you may be right.

Here is the real deal, agriculture is a direct $40 billion industry in California, the ripple effect of that $40 billion undoubtedly goes into the hundreds of billions of dollars in California's economy. The agriculture sector, and you can pick a number between that $40 billion direct, and say, $400 billion in indirect, is completely dependent on the labor of those illegals you disparage. Remove them as some suggest and what will happen to this state will make the Great Depression look like boom times.

Thems the facts, like them or not.

Educating the children of those workers, will enable them to contribute to society, not educating them will enable them to hang out on street corners peddling drugs, your choice.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Some of us have great faith in the ability of real Americans to pull themselves, and this country, up by their bootstraps. It's what made this country, and the state, great in the first place. Clearing the decks might just rekindle that spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or