Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM

158 posts, read 330,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You have no idea how you come across to others, do you? Astounding the way you jump in with assumptions of others' meanings -- and your Universally assigned mandate to educate all of us "lower" unintelligent beings. Get over yourself.
I never made any "correlation -- causation" statement ... and I don't need you to teach me about it, okay, kid? I wrote: "good news -- very low violent crime rate [in Hawaii]" ... I didn't say 'the violent crime rate is low due to restrictive gun laws' ... nor did I say 'lucky for the population in Hawaii that they have only a very low violent crime rate and thus there is less concern for personal safety on the level of personal gun ownership'.

I just said .... ....... ............

And while I'm telling you to take a pill ... try re-reading the posts to others you made following the one to me. See if you can count the number of times you call people "stupid", "idiots", "morons", "j*ckwagons", "dumba**es", "fools" and "foolish", "ignorant", "psycho", and the like ... bet you run out of fingers and toes. And I repeat, all the blather about how responsible people with gun safety education etc etc etc should be taken with one hell of a grain of salt since it all still relies on self-control and emotional balance -- which, if you look at the course of human history, has always been in real short supply.

Back off slick.

His name is "YEAHTHATGUY"...you know the guy... we all have one in our neighbourhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, at l
east Nancy P**-Lousy and her bodygaurd get to carry. And all of the Hollywood leftists.......well, you KNOW most of them are packin heat.

But the average blue collar scum.............well, they are just serfs.....not good enough to carry.

Yeppers, she and all those Bible thumpin' right wingers in other parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I can't .. have .. it .. both ways... .. Yeah, I can't possibly lawfully possess a CCW and ascertain which places I can lawfully conceal carry and decide when it makes sense to CCW .. Again, you present this false image that people take showers w/ their guns .. Relax dude ...

You don't strike me as someone who is informed or thinks logically .. Neither of these opinions has anything to do w/ the discussion though.

No, you seem to be suggested that people w/ CCW are of that impression. I am far from it and corrected your crazy views about CCW in the office... I own a gun and am well aware of the laws and CCW restrictions. thnx.

In California, when transporting a gun in your car, it must be disassembled (no bullets in the 'clip') and properly secured/ 'stored' .. I kind of know that already

I admit to not knowing much about guns, so bear with me here. If the darn thing is disassembled and properly secured, how are you using it to defend yourself? I'm beginning to think that a gun is like a security blankie or pacifier for a kid! You know it's there "secured and disassembled" so you feel better, even though there are thugs out there that could get to you. Geez, I don't know. You all are giving me a headache with all this gun talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
I admit to not knowing much about guns, so bear with me here. If the darn thing is disassembled and properly secured, how are you using it to defend yourself? I'm beginning to think that a gun is like a security blankie or pacifier for a kid! You know it's there "secured and disassembled" so you feel better, even though there are thugs out there that could get to you. Geez, I don't know. You all are giving me a headache with all this gun talk.
Yopu're not unless you throw the dang thing at someone and score a lucky hit.

Not a blankie or pacifier. A tool and "emergency equipment" should the need arise.

Take two aspirin, cover your eyes with a cool cloth and lie down for a bit! DO NOT dream of Bakersfield!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yopu're not unless you throw the dang thing at someone and score a lucky hit.

Not a blankie or pacifier. A tool and "emergency equipment" should the need arise.

Take two aspirin, cover your eyes with a cool cloth and lie down for a bit! DO NOT dream of Bakersfield!

The more I educate myself about Bakersfield, the more headaches I get. Kid you not! Sigh....tomorrow is the big travel day. Keep me in your thoughts.

I was always against guns in my home, BUT I am not completely against someone owning a gun if they are responsible, take all safety precautions, and understand WHY they own a gun, and HOW to use it safely/wisely. I totally agree with being able to defend onerself in the home after reading stories about real people defending themselves against intruders.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,623,774 times
Generally the problem with carrying is that you have the weapon put someplace, while the bad guy already has his in his hand.

The IHOP Shooting in Carson City, there was at least one man with a pistol, but the shooter had a rifle, going up against a shoulder weapon with a pistol is not a great idea.

If you are hiking in the back country with your pistolo thinking to protect your self from the pot growers. They know you are there before you know they are there, and they often have AK's

I actually got shot at while camped in the desert near Lake Mead. I was setting camp and rounds began to hit around me, I had no cover, I jumped into my blue SUV (I shall explain) I sat there thinking, that roof was no protection from the gunman up on the cliff above me. You can imagine that if I had my blue SUV stacked floor to ceiling with weapons they would have done me no good. I sat there a minutes and said "screw it, I am getting out of here" I drove off at high speed, went to a ranger station and reported it, then headed down the road to camp elsewhere.

On my way back some days later I stopped to talk to the LEO. He told me that they searched but did not find the guy, so they waited a day or two later he drove up to the check point..

Turns out, his story was that his wife had run off with a guy who drove a blue SUV.. Weeks before, but when he saw mine he figured I was the guy.

Now, no weapon I could have carried short of an RPG would have helped me, and if he had wanted me dead, I'd be dead.

Remember, when you pull a gun on some one, you better use it, and you better kill him, you will take all he ever was or ever will be away from him. Killing someone is a lot harder than talking about how you carry your really cool pistolo around.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The more I educate myself about Bakersfield, the more headaches I get. Kid you not! Sigh....tomorrow is the big travel day. Keep me in your thoughts.

I was always against guns in my home, BUT I am not completely against someone owning a gun if they are responsible, take all safety precautions, and understand WHY they own a gun, and HOW to use it safely/wisely. I totally agree with being able to defend onerself in the home after reading stories about real people defending themselves against intruders.
Our neighborhood has been here on the lake for about 30 years. Currently there are 212 homes. Two years ago the first-ever break-in occurred. It was two or three youths who came by boat and forced entry into what they thought was an unoccupied vacation home. They were wrong. The home owner and his wife were home and in bed. As with most of us here, they owned guns (hunting is BIG in these parts). The man grabbed a gun, started toward the sounds of people in the home and called out, "I'm going to shoot you!" Wisely, the cowardly, thieving youths fled. Problem solved!

That's what I mean by "emergency equipment."

Tomorrow I'll light a candle for you.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Generally the problem with carrying is that you have the weapon put someplace, while the bad guy already has his in his hand.

The IHOP Shooting in Carson City, there was at least one man with a pistol, but the shooter had a rifle, going up against a shoulder weapon with a pistol is not a great idea.

If you are hiking in the back country with your pistolo thinking to protect your self from the pot growers. They know you are there before you know they are there, and they often have AK's

I actually got shot at while camped in the desert near Lake Mead. I was setting camp and rounds began to hit around me, I had no cover, I jumped into my blue SUV (I shall explain) I sat there thinking, that roof was no protection from the gunman up on the cliff above me. You can imagine that if I had my blue SUV stacked floor to ceiling with weapons they would have done me no good. I sat there a minutes and said "screw it, I am getting out of here" I drove off at high speed, went to a ranger station and reported it, then headed down the road to camp elsewhere.

On my way back some days later I stopped to talk to the LEO. He told me that they searched but did not find the guy, so they waited a day or two later he drove up to the check point..

Turns out, his story was that his wife had run off with a guy who drove a blue SUV.. Weeks before, but when he saw mine he figured I was the guy.

Now, no weapon I could have carried short of an RPG would have helped me, and if he had wanted me dead, I'd be dead.

Remember, when you pull a gun on some one, you better use it, and you better kill him, you will take all he ever was or ever will be away from him. Killing someone is a lot harder than talking about how you carry your really cool pistolo around.

Dang, what a story Are you SURE you didn't steal the man's wife?

You make excellent points throughout this post.

Quote:
Our neighborhood has been here on the lake for about 30 years. Currently there are 212 homes. Two years ago the first-ever break-in occurred. It was two or three youths who came by boat and forced entry into what they thought was an unoccupied vacation home. They were wrong. The home owner and his wife were home and in bed. As with most of us here, they owned guns (hunting is BIG in these parts). The man grabbed a gun, started toward the sounds of people in the home and called out, "I'm going to shoot you!" Wisely, the cowardly, thieving youths fled. Problem solved!

That's what I mean by "emergency equipment."

Tomorrow I'll light a candle for you.

Point well taken. What a pity one of them didn't get shot though. That would have been a great lesson!

Don't forget to throw in a few "hail Marys" while you're at it

Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Point well taken. What a pity one of them didn't get shot though. That would have been a great lesson!

Don't forget to throw in a few "hail Marys" while you're at it
Not something you contemplate lightly and not something you ever want to have to do, even if you're prepared to do it if the need arises.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,218,225 times
Quote:
Good luck gettin' one!
Pretty easy in my county. I prefer my pump action shotgun. Too hard to stuff in my pants.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Pretty easy in my county. I prefer my pump action shotgun. Too hard to stuff in my pants.
Agreed. One dangerous weapon in my pants is all I can handle.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
A friend, retired career military with a CCW was on his way to pick up is daughter flying into Oakland... this was the same time as the Patty Hearst kidnapping and the Symbionese Liberation stuff going on.

Anyway, it was 1:30 am and he was stopped at the traffic light at 98th Ave and Edes... the road was deserted except for a truck in front of him.

Someone comes up on the passenger side via the blind spot and tries to open the door and at the same time another person is attempting to open the driver's door.

My friend pulls out his Smith and Wesson and points it through the window at the guys chest and the guy yells an explicative and "He's got a piece and both fled...

Other law enforcement friends/acquaintances have said they never pulled their service revolver in the line of duty... yet they carried for 30 years...

One of the team mom's in grade school was the wife of a Sheriff Deputy... she always drove the team to games in the family station wagon and made it known there was a loaded gun in the glove box and we were not to touch it...

I think a lot of what is missing is gun safety classes... in second grade, we had a police officer come in and talk about being safe, strangers and gun safety... how a gun with the bullets out can still have one bullet to shoot, how any gun should be treated as a loaded gun and never pointing a gun or dropping one... doubt they do this anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California